Meisters

That felt kinda quick. It's an ok story.
The characters all felt unrealistic, or like just convenient plot devices.
I'm not a big fan of the end.

(Almost) Everybody loves an underdog story, and I am no exception. The best part of the story was its theme, setting, backstory, and ‘gimmick’. But what really drags it down are most of the characters and all their interactions. I’m especially not a fan of how easily the MC overcame the quagmire of near maddening depression he was in. The story plays it off by saying he saved the town for himself, which actually is a pretty great message: he didn’t save the town for the girl, nor the other inhabitants, but he did it for himself. The issue is that the plot was forced into him.
He wasn’t given a chance to properly mourn the passing of his brother. He still resented the world around him. It was unrealistic and is honestly really hard for me to wrap my tiny little chipmunk brain around how he did a complete 540 from “I have nothing left to live for” to “I will be a savior”. The scene that showed his younger naive selves pushing him forward is pretty damn touching but just so difficult to relate to. After the Minotaur act, the story gets much more... generic? In a sense? Not much to touch on for the guild recruitment ‘arc’. There’s some... nice, but questionable, character development and choices.
There are some really powerful messages that sadly, just weren’t delivered in a good way. The art style is great, I would happily give it a 10/10 on a good day and a 9/10 on an average one. The story is sadly cut short, I feel like the conclusion is the typical Korean “bad ending”. While I don’t dislike how open ended it is, it leaves so much to the imagination that it just feels... unfinished? Overall, a 7/10 for me. I still highly recommend giving it a read. Won’t take up more than an hour for a full read through.

Users who are viewing this thread