Method to Verify Original Images were Uploaded to MangaDex

One way to assist doing this would be to show the Chapter File Size (combined size of all images) on manga title pages, as a way to more easily identify and report when a chapter is uploaded to MangaDex at reduced quality. Not really much of a problem for normal manga primarily uploaded by the scanlators themselves (though I've seen some be sneaky), but for H content this seems to be more of an issue with people mass uploading images from aggregators rather than seeking out the highest quality source. It may also be useful to display each image's file hash somewhere non-obtrusive, enabled by a non-default advanced user toggle in the reader or such. This could also make it a bit easier to track down when a scanlator uploads a v2 release to their site, but forgets to update MangaDex.

An alternative for H-content may be to require or optionally allow a hidden e-hentai (or exhentai) link to be added for H content and verify behind the scenes the the chapter's or combined volume's file size is correct. Flagging those which are not for automatic removal or replacement.

I'm sure other ideas could be thought up of, but it would be useful to have some kind of method to assist verification that original quality images were uploaded without needing to download all the images from MangaDex first, keeping everyone honest. Technically, none of this information would need to be made visible to an end users if staff had the tools to monitor this, but I get the feeling MangaDex currently depends on user reports to process such removals or replacements for quality issues.

Overall this suggestion is more a head-up that MangaDex likely has a major problem with original images not being uploaded for H-manga, especially during the initial couple months it was allowed, and some thought probably needs to be put into how to resolve it. There are also probably a few normal manga scanlators which offer higher quality images on their own readers or archive downloads which haven't been caught yet, which into the future could harm availability of archival quality scans.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@CyberBeing I do like the idea of showing file sizes for chapters, for more than just hentai reasons. If you see any lower quality uploads you should report the chapter so that we can talk to the uploader

Users who are viewing this thread