Mikane and The Sea Woman - Ch. 8 - The Little Mermaid

Dex-chan lover
The text indicates it's a new character, so I'm leaning in that direction. My initial thought was timeskip though, after the "I want to grow up" panel. 🤷

This chapter felt like a bit of a leftdown tbh, just didn't seem to hit the right notes or pacing with the rush to wrap up the arc. LOL'd pretty hard at "Biosical" tho :lul::facepalm:

Dex-chan lover
First thought it's a timeskip too.... cuz that means it gets axed and be over soon.
But text does say new character.

Dex-chan lover
Defiantly a time skip, but I am also guessing that the series won't last much longer

Dex-chan lover
Defiantly a time skip, but I am also guessing that the series won't last much longer
Which would be a definite shame, because this sort of contemplative supernatural feature makes for a good contrast with the shounen battle titles from M+

Group Leader
First thought it's a timeskip too.... cuz that means it gets axed and be over soon.
But text does say new character.
They don't axe series this early. (even Soul-Spewing Wielder got 17 chapters) Nowadays axing series before chapter 16 is legendary rare. We are at the very most halfway through.

Dex-chan lover
Not sure how I feel if thats a timeskip.
Hopefully that doesnt mean an axe

Dex-chan lover
That's a new character, so it's almost certainly not a timeskip. There's no clear indication of there being a timeskip, either.

Anyhow, Anderson's Little Mermaid doesn't just turn into sea foam-- she turns into sea foam because she refuses to kill someone in order to not die. Because of that virtuous decision, though, she becomes a wind spirit after her death, and is responsible for making children happy for three centuries before she's given a soul and allowed to enter Heaven, with the proviso that crying kids add to that time limit and happy kids subtracts from it.

Man, I really don't like this MC, he acts like a huge spoiled brat. Its easy to joke that its the mermaidussy that is driving him mad, but seriously its hard to sympathize with how he acts when it contradicts with what we've seen about his past from Chapter 1/2 and Yuko's flashbacks - meaning to some degree he is rational. He didn't have a superb childhood but he had one with some caring parents at the least unlike the tanned guy's lil bro (if I understood the implication correctly). So its hard to imagine why he is acting irrational all of a sudden especially when compared to the other kids his own age.

To me, it feels like the author is just conveniently writing his way with the MC to get the narrative he wants rather than reaching these plot points naturally and in return is making this MC unlikeable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread