Mofumofu to Isekai Slow Life o Mezashimasu! - Ch. 20 - The Determination For Departure

Dex-chan lover
Rice is only for animal feed. No one has ever been hungry in this world and wondered if that common grain-like crop is edible. Obviously.

Fed-Kun's army
@Magneticmagnet If I had to give a western equivalent, I guess rice is similar to oats since oats was considered a weed in the past. Nowadays, it is considered an important crop and can be eaten as oatmeal, but it is mostly grown to be animal feed, not for human consumption.

Dex-chan lover
now i really want to know if early people in the west thinks of rice as an animal food... like in europe or even america in the early years probably before people discover that the earth is round...

Dex-chan lover
There's also the potatoes to consider. When they were first brought to Europe, they were just grown as decorative plants. After that, it took some time to get farmers to adapt cultivation of potatoes as a crop, in some regions (e.g. Prussia) it even took quite some convincing to be done.

Dex-chan lover
wait, wut. Page 32, they're still in the treehouse or w/e Liana's place is and then last panel there's suddenly a village in the background. And next page next pannel, it's back to the wilds

Double-page supporter
@zetsuravez @Magneticmagnet and why not @Siceraria and @blablablub
I also agree on the oats and potatoes comments.

There are plenty of plants that are thought to not be food, or are used primarily for animals in certain places.
Soybeans - while many people now know of tofu and soybean oil, most of it is used for animal feed. https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/where_do_all_these_soybeans_go#:~:text=Corn%20and%20soybeans%20are%20both,%2C%20for%20fiber%2C%20and%20energy.

Sorghum - 1/3 of the crop in the US is used as animal feed, and the US is a top producer of the stuff, but it's not widely known in food. It's used elsewhere as food, however. I only came across it in regards to gluten free beer and learned that it could be popped after that by accident.

Quinoa - now a commonly known crop, there was a popularity boom through the early 2000's, prior to that, I'm not sure how well known it was as a food source beyond certain subcultures in the US.

So rice could be viewed the same way, where the culture doesn't see it as a human food source. A quick search shows that rice was consumed around the world. BC eras. And Europe in the 10th-15th century, so there's more history there than what's easily known.

Honestly though, it'd make more sense for Soybeans to be seen as an animal food crop and then the isekai'd mc searching for it to make tofu and other products and have rice be a food staple, even if not as common as wheat. Rice could be seen in a pilaf, or a risotto, or added to soup and not necessarily steamed too and wheat took over due to bread popularity, at least steaming would be slightly novel.

what if it wasn't Arito the owl keept an eye at, but someone else?
is author preparing a new ship?

ahhhhhhhhhh,
just kill me already

everything in this is too cute, i can't handle this right now
i'm gonna jump of a bridge right now to overcome this feeling of weakness
my manliness can't be dissolved this easy

Dex-chan lover
@jhadred

Rice is also comparatively a huge pain in the ass to cultivate in large amounts, unlike other types of grains like wheat that you can basically just throw out on the field and piss on for it to grow.
So unless the region is particularly well suited for its growth like east Asia ( china and japan for example) it's not that strange people simply wouldn't bother with farming a lot of it.
And with a smaller amount, the longer food culture takes to evolve.

Dex-chan lover
Why I have a feeling that Orst-gram was a dense protag that maintained status quo for tooooo longgggg, even by an elven standard.

Double-page supporter
@Goldenzeal you're not kidding https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/egyptian-papyrus-reveals-old-wives-tale-very-very-old-indeed-180970066/

Users who are viewing this thread