Nagasarete Airantou - Vol. 29 Ch. 180 - Tired after Playing

Dex-chan lover
You know.... a part of me doesn't understand why these authors write harem mangas but then shy away from the actual harem... like... why do the harem in the 1st place???

Nep

Dex-chan lover
@deathmailrock Step 1. Write a harem. Get everyone interested in different characters to "build popularity" (if there is only one and you hate her then you won't read)

Step 2. Start a popularity poll.

Step 3. Collect results and let the ending write itself.

Now all they need to do is fill this pillow with sh1tloads of cotton.

Dex-chan lover
@Nep not true... there is usually a clear winner at the start, with maybe 2 other girls often given a chance...

But these authors should just go for the harem at this point... MC's having harems is being more common now anyways... why half ass it... like, I could get it around 10 years ago, since that was the farthest they could go... but not anymore...

Nep

Dex-chan lover
@deathmailrock I kind of remembered Shuffle! getting a winner that came out of nowhere. Also that "I can already see the ending" series whose name i can't be bothered to remember had a winner that came out of nowhere. The latter probably dont count as a harem though.

Also I forgot Step 4 which Airantou didn't do for some reason. (probably because it was not popular enough)

Step 4. Start a game with multiple character endings. Look at Toradora. That Minori ending made me happy <3

Dex-chan lover
After all these year Ikuto still cannot handle naked woman.. he need a big development already

Fed-Kun's army
You can never go wrong with the extra since it has the plot.

@windfang
Here I thought he would be able to conquer his fear of hights with this arc.

Aggregator gang
@Nep The manga you can't be bothered remembering is "The World God Only Knows". And the ending didn't really come out of nowhere, you had the six girls that were important to the plot and remembered his conquests of them, but he chose the one who liked him before the conquest and didn't remember his conquest.

to be fair though, Airantou seem to reach more toward harem end from what I see, Even for Suzu who has more screentime, she didn't have the decisive points yet, if anything, big development toward Ikuto mental state tend to go to Machi. And Ikuto do aware that multiple girls have feeling for him. So it's not as bad in Airantou case.

The big issues with harem is that most author just use it to build popularity and attract readers, or to dragged on status quo by introducing new character instead of making it a part of the plot. The winner was always decided from the start. Nowadays though, harem is more common since people are clearly aware of the fact that the winner tend to be choosen from the start and author just use it for drama and chapter counts. At this point though, story of this type generally devolved into drama or shipping war to get popularity instead. Most common readers don't like this type much anymore so drama is literally the only route out. These thing is made even worse by the fact that sometimes more screentime for main heroine might actually draw the bad part of the writing out of her and leading everyone to hate it instead. Airantou is relatively mild with Suzu actually don't take that much of the screentime and there is counterweight enough for her. Most other story though, Main heroine tend to go unchallenged.

@deathmailrock: even 10 years ago there are still stories with harem end, just that the story with fake harem tend to be better written back then and with much less characters, more like love triangle or quad, and there is actually reason why MC choose the main heroine or the MC outright doesn't like the secondary heroine from the start.

Dex-chan lover
@dragon1412 But it was around 10 years ago that it really hit it off with High School DxD's success with it. It's like how OreImo helped popularize the incest trope in shonen (before, it was rare and only with older series; though, ironically, the author never meant it to be that way and wanted the surprise "you aren't blood related" twist that peaked in popularity when the series came out).

And even then, for older series, while there was drama, the harem element over all could leave you unsatisfied. And as time goes on, you could change and who you'd wish won could change.

So know, I'm disliking half assed harems, semi-harems which then introduce the girl that might have liked the MC only to add another love interest. I also hate when the side character girl is made over sexy since then it just feels weird and wrong and makes you wish the MC was with her instead...

And I'm not saying that these series have to be bad. Nisekoi and a few others were actually quite good and fun... but then you feel like it's wrong no matter who wins, since if the girls move on, it feels like a betrayal, but when they get with nobody, you feel too bad for them...

@deathmailrock: that pretty much the problem with all harem romcom based series, I mean, the purpose of the harem situation is actually mainly to drag on the story chapters count and the attentions when the author is actually running out of things that they can write without making the main couple happened, introduced new characters is an easy way to repeat the previous scenario with previous girl. You see this a lot in tradditional romcom, like how a clubs with 3 members and love triangle suddenly get a new chars, and previous situation got repeat with new char.

rather than half assed or semi, I'm more tempted to call them fake harem since it rather obvious who is the winning char based on author preferences and screentime. Fake harem tend to make people feel bad because of the girls left behind and it might riled the fanbase of that particular ship, so many author also chickening out by using open ending where it's implied MC get with the main girl rather than outright saying it. Which again, make the ending quality suffer. And this is not mentioning author playing favourite and give obvious bigger screentime and developments to the winning heroine. This can be really grating to read

Dex-chan lover
@dragon1412 honestly, I feel an open ending is often the less of the evils... harems at their core are often unsatisfying... because it teases something you won't get.... though recently, harems have been happening... so.... it's getting better... which is why these half ass harems should be gone...

I stopped reading this years ago and came back just to know it it was ending but it just keep making boring stuff up
I have no idea why this is still going aside sunk cost meh

Users who are viewing this thread