Neko no Te datte Yaku ni Tatsu - Ch. 231 - Ma'am

Dex-chan lover
In the raws, Takase asks if the owner is Mii-chan's aunt. He uses the word 'obasan' which means either 'aunt' or 'older woman' depending on the kanji. NOBEL intentionally used only hiragana to not specify what Takase meant, hence the owner who's always very sensitive about her age got a bit triggered.

We decided to localise this effect with the word "ma'am" as some women do get upset if they think the implication is an advancement in years. Takase only addressed her that way out of formality.

Edited TL note. It was hard to resist thinking of the owner as a grandma. Sorry.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
In the raws, Takase asks if the owner is Mii-chan's aunt. He uses the word 'obasan' which means either 'aunt' or 'grandmother' depending on the kanji. NOBEL intentionally used only hiragana to not specify what Takase meant, hence the owner who's always very sensitive about her age got a bit triggered.

We decided to localise this effect with the word "ma'am" as some women do get upset if they think the implication is an advancement in years. Takase only addressed her that way out of formality.

I was wondering what triggered her in "ma'am", always thought it was a polite way to refer to a woman that is generally "older" than the one talking with her, didnt know it could trigger someone. Learning something every day.

Dex-chan lover
I was wondering what triggered her in "ma'am", always thought it was a polite way to refer to a woman that is generally "older" than the one talking with her, didnt know it could trigger someone. Learning something every day.
Yeah ma'am is actually seen as fairly condesending in certain countries and settings precisely because of the inference of seniority.

Dex-chan lover

cute :3
Welp, zoomed via high res ruined it, now it looks creepy. : (
E: E2: Maybe it's not cute, but I felt it was cute in the manga... Welp. : ( :notlikethis:

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I was raised with Sir and Ma'am for everyone outside your friend group. I call the newbies at work ma'am if I'm not bantering with them.

Dex-chan lover
Aunty doesn't want to know her age anymore. It is too embarrassing and humiliating especially since she's the only one who is still single after many years

Dex-chan lover
“Sorry 🥺”
iu

“Okay.”

Dex-chan lover
In the raws, Takase asks if the owner is Mii-chan's aunt. He uses the word 'obasan' which means either 'aunt' or 'older woman' depending on the kanji. NOBEL intentionally used only hiragana to not specify what Takase meant, hence the owner who's always very sensitive about her age got a bit triggered.

Makes sense. In some places calling her an "auntie" would also have had such connotations.

Users who are viewing this thread