Nishuume Cheat no Tensei Madoushi 〜Saikyou ga 1000-nengo ni Tensei Shitara, Jinsei Yoyū Sugimashita〜 - Ch. 10.2

Dex-chan lover
The wizard turned that poor dude into a zombie, what an a-hole.

I forgot how generic the MC looks
Honestly a massive problem within Manga/anime; male MCs are really damn cookie cutter. All the effort was put into the female character designs (even female background characters), and there was none left for the men.

...Though I'm kinda digging the ol' wizard, for how cliche and bog standard he is as well.

Dex-chan lover
As someone who had enrolled in a high school where latin was mandatory, I will never find it not funny how in these fantasy works it takes only one mere thousand of years to make an "ancient language" unreadable to everyone including academics.
As someone who can read Norse runes, I agree. On one end, we have the relatively recent but entirely forgotten history in many fantasy works, and on the other, we have the Medieval stasis that keeps the same level of technology for several thousands of years.

I forgot how generic the MC looks, and at the last page he looks really bad.
I forgot which manga this was, since none of the characters are memorable enough. The girls also look so standard.

Dex-chan lover
...Why did he go all lethal against the device? Is he forgetting that he is in a school where the faculty is sending students into a dangerous dungeon? Is it not obvious the surveillance is there to protect them if something happens - and that taking out the faculty means this safetyline is (silently) snipped for all the other students?
It is one thing to destroy the cameras approaching you, since you consider it useless and intrusive. But that is one hell of a way to return goodwill with murdr

Dex-chan lover
As someone who had enrolled in a high school where latin was mandatory, I will never find it not funny how in these fantasy works it takes only one mere thousand of years to make an "ancient language" unreadable to everyone including academics.
Ot depends on how the language dies.
Egyptian hieroglyphics were a untranslatable language for centuries, if it was not for the catholic church Latin would like have become one as well.

Dead languages like lattin stay around because there are still some using them, but if a language goes extinct (no one using it at all) and there are no avaliable references to translate the text, they could be completely lost in only a few years after the last speaker dies.

A language could be lost and unable to be translated in only a few decades, the Inca knot system was lost (in use to no living users) in the late 1500s, that is less then 1000 years.

Dex-chan lover
in two mere months I completely forgot this one, idk whats going on... :nyoron:

Group Leader
Ot depends on how the language dies.
Egyptian hieroglyphics were a untranslatable language for centuries, if it was not for the catholic church Latin would like have become one as well.

Dead languages like lattin stay around because there are still some using them, but if a language goes extinct (no one using it at all) and there are no avaliable references to translate the text, they could be completely lost in only a few years after the last speaker dies.

A language could be lost and unable to be translated in only a few decades, the Inca knot system was lost (in use to no living users) in the late 1500s, that is less then 1000 years.
I knew someone would reply with this.

Of course I'm aware that if nobody speaks a language and there are no reference works it effectively dies after a few years, but if you examine how these works deal with the whole "ancient language" trope, you see that half the world is made of ruins (or equivalent) with this language written everywhere.
I could understand if authors pulled a "One Piece" where the government goes out of his way to kill everyone trying to understand the ancient language, actively trying to make it extinct, but here and in other comics it is never the case and there is always a group of intellectuals studying the ancient ruins or whatever.
It is therefore impossible that a mere one thousand years old goes extinct in these conditions and that is what I find funny.

Dex-chan lover
I knew someone would reply with this.
I kind of doubt that, otherwise you would have actual counter arguments instead of replying with made up garbage that relies on having no understanding of how languages are lost to believe, to try and force your incorrect perspective.
but if you examine how these works deal with the whole "ancient language" trope,
Never decide how one story works based on how other fictional stories work. Only use what the author has said in the story.
you see that half the world is made of ruins (or equivalent) with this language written everywhere.
Which is only relevant if it is ruins in a single language, as opposed to a multitude of different languages, like you would expect in most worlds, unless they introduce something to state everything was the same language assume there are multiple languages present, normally 1 per nation/civilization.
but here and in other comics it is never the case and there is always a group of intellectuals studying the ancient ruins or whatever.
Which means exactly nothing. The only thing this statement does is demonstrate you have no clue how language death and studying ancient languages work, but are arrogant enough to make claims with no knowledge or understanding because you feel you are right, but do not want to actually verify you are right like an adult.

Though there were plenty of scholars studying ancient heirogriphics, they made no progress until the Rosetta stone was found. It is literally the item that made the language translatable and readable. Even then it took a lot of effort to do so. That is why the Rosetta stone is famous, and so historically valuable. The argument you are trying to make requires that things not work the way that this language, which means it is wrong, made worse since this example that demonstrates its failure was mentioned in the post you are replying to. so it is just made up BS with no actual attempt to touch what you were replying to.

The ting is without a reference ot start from, how much material you have access to does next to nothing. There are plenty of lost languages because we do not have that reference point. There is absolutely no logical argument around this, there needs to be a reference point of some form or the deciphering will never start, even a descendent spoken language is not good enough unless the written language is also a descendent of that written language, which might or might not be enough to get some progress due to the similarities.

But the point you are really missing is that losing all points of reference for a language can take very little time. 1-2 generations is more then feasible, especially if some disaster was involved.

If something destroys civilization, or makes resources scarce, it could easily lead to people not teaching their kids to read and write, especially if it is a complicated system which a bunch of ancient civilizations on earth used (like Egypt) partly to keep writing and reading out of the hands of commoners, which leads to the knowledge of how to read the language dies once the last survivor who knew it dies. Eventually a new system likely develops with no direct connection to the old. If something makes it so survival is the sole priority for a generation or 2 this type of loss becomes very easy as reading is not a skill necessary for survival, so falls to the lower end of the priorities to teach your kids. Especially if they have to contribute from a young age.

There are several examples of South and Central american languages we can not properly or fully translate, due to how much the Spanish destroyed when they invaded the region. The people survived, but a lot of knowledge was lost and with it some of the writing systems that were in place there.

The latin alphabet is actually pretty easy to learn, the biggest issue with english is all the grammar rules and spellings which are more recent. When they talk about the low literacy rates in medieval times, that is because they only counted literacy in Latin, not in your native language, and there is plenty of evidence that even the farmers and villagers were able to read the language they spoke to some extent by writing the letters for the sounds of words, meaning 2 people could spell the same word different ways. This makes it so the writing system is harder to lose, but the language, grammar rules and proper spellings could all easily be lost or lessened should disaster come.

The more complicated systems like Kanji take more time and energy to learn so are more vulnerable to complete loss from disaster.

The other issue is that a lot of the examples and reference documents for a language on how to read one using knowledge of another would often be written on some form of paper, and how long paper lasts depends heavily on the conditions it is stored in. stored properly and you can get centuries to millenia, stored improperly and you are lucky to get decades.

We also still do not know what happened over that 1000 years but if his old name is not known and they are referring to it as an ancient language, and not the name of the language, as well as the loss of magic theory, then that would imply some sort of major civilization resetting disaster or war occuring.

My guess based on the magic loss would be something made it unusable for a while. IIRC That is part of what happened in Magi Craft Meister I can not remember if it is covered the Manga yet or not, but certain events caused the ambient magic levels of that world to massively drop, this killed all the magic users above a certain level, and all their knowledge went with them because it was not all written down (writing down all the instructions and procedures is pretty recent in our world, which is why there is a lot of lost knowledge in professions that required apprenticeships or on the job training).
It is therefore impossible that a mere one thousand years old goes extinct in these conditions and that is what I find funny.
Except it is not impossible, you just do not understand language death at all, that and we do not know the F-ing conditions yet so you can not intelligently make any claims of the conditions.
You are making up conclusions with 0 evidence or logic to support them then claiming you are right.

Group Leader
I kind of doubt that, otherwise you would have actual counter arguments instead of replying with made up garbage that relies on having no understanding of how languages are lost to believe, to try and force your incorrect perspective.
Or maybe I did not want to start an argument when I wrote my initial post, while still knowing the risk of someone going "well, actually" on me.

Never decide how one story works based on how other fictional stories work. Only use what the author has said in the story.
And the author said nothing on the matter except that there is a caste of academics which knows about these ruins.

(the rest)
I do not disagree with you, but as you said we must use only what the author has said in the story, and unless we get to know that every single thing about this "ancient civilization" has been obliterated suddenly for the exception of these ruins that might or might not take a significant part of the world, we cannot make any of the assumptions you explained. Thus, I will still find this situation funny, which is the whole point of my initial comment.
(As a side note, because I've met people like that, if you think I'm just trying to minimize damage after losing against you then you are free to do so. I'm not searching any kind of victory, I'm just explaining myself and my intentions.)

Users who are viewing this thread