Now That We Draw - Ch. 29 - What Gets You Going

Dex-chan lover
They'll show something THIS lewd? :lewd:
JAezdm6.png

Dex-chan lover
The other day I was looking into buying some headphones, and I decided to get a set of those Marshall Major cans that Koi-chan wears. They’re nice headphones, but is that weird? I feel like that’s weird.

Aggregator gang
The other day I was looking into buying some headphones, and I decided to get a set of those Marshall Major cans that Koi-chan wears. They’re nice headphones, but is that weird? I feel like that’s weird.
It's not weird. No one will know why you bought them at a glance, so no one will judge you for it. So if it makes you happy to have a little subtle connection to a story that makes you happy, go for it.

Dex-chan lover
It always bugs me when manga about artists ends up with with them simply reproducing their own lived experiences in their art.

Oftentimes, it feels lazy, because the author then doesn't have to come up with a story within a story to present to the audience, they can just say 'the MC drew what happened in the actual chapter that you, dear reader, just read'

It also doesn't feel realistic, because even though drawing from your own lived experience is a perfectly normal thing for an artist to do, it makes no sense to be a complete copy, because then you're just a one-hit wonder. You're not really an artist at that point, you're just an autobiographer.

It makes me sad because it really could be done so much better. I always remember in the movie 'Liz and the Blue Bird' how there was this entire secondary plot being presented every few scenes which depicted the entire Blue Bird story and the audience could read between the lines that the story matched with what was happening in the 'actual' story of the film about the two girls in the band who were practicing to play the particular orchestral piece depicting this story. So even if the stories were clearly correlated, they were still unique in their own way and it was interesting seeing how the girls were 'approaching' the play.

I think stories about manga artists and writers could be so much stronger if they had similar secondary stories happening within the manga which were the product of the main character, but the way in which the story relates to the 'main' plot of the story would be kept subtle so that there was still value in presenting this 'story within a story'.

Alas, this manga is like a B-movie so this sort of criticism is a bit overkill, but still, just my two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread