Ogami Tsumiki to Kinichijou. - Ch. 31 - Mokuri-san and Webs

Group Leader
Hey everyone, apologies for the delay of this chapter. I was engrossed in the new expansion of the critically acclaimed MMORPG, Final Fantasy XIV. Just finished Dawntrail MSQ, took a break to edit and upload, then now back to the game. Those jobs won't level themselves.

A key point of this chapter;
FEMBOY SENGA
BOTTOM TEXT

Dex-chan lover
Weird they went with the “my friend was second hand hurt by an online troll and now I won’t use webs ever again” route instead of what I thought they were building “I want to be an artist that makes art that stands it’s own merits, and not popular due to being a quirky genjin novelty”
Missed opportunity imo

Fed-Kun's army
I really like how the author keep the theme of "everyday life" and how each genjins will have a different kind of everyday life. But that's OK and that's why the world of this manga can be as diverse and colorful as it is now.

I feel really bad for Mokuri because we've seen how she talked in the flashbacks and how she talked in the previous chapters. All those languages in those chapters look like a face she puts on to others, deep inside she's still that kid who wants to use her powers for good, for art and for herself. IMO it makes her more similar to Yutaka than I thought.

In that end, Tsumiki's the only one that haven't had a melancholic backstory to her, why's she so friendly and active, and so carefree? Hope that the author can cook her backstory and we're having potential to see peak here.

Dex-chan lover
Weird they went with the “my friend was second hand hurt by an online troll and now I won’t use webs ever again” route instead of what I thought they were building “I want to be an artist that makes art that stands it’s own merits, and not popular due to being a quirky genjin novelty”
Missed opportunity imo
Tbf either way works fine. But I will say that this "If my uniqueness hurts people I care, I wish I wasn't unique instead" route fits the series better.

Dex-chan lover
First Page.
Mokuri is exaggerating there, no matter how she did that art, it was her who did it so of course they'll tell her name, the name of the person who did it.

Anyway... maybe I don't get it.
Scared of spider webs? I never thought anyone feared the webs, what they fear is the spider itself, isn't it? So it feels strange here reading this story showing people "scared" of Mokuri's webs but not scared of her.

Page Nine.
What strange thought process. How was her art that "hurt" someone?
This drama feels like and over exaggeration from both Mokuri and her friend. Didn't she want Mokuri's art to be seems exactly because people usually didn't liked seeing her webs? Why was it a surprise that some comments were not overly positive?

I don't get it, I don't get it...
This chapter didn't feel right to me.

Fed-Kun's army
First Page.
Mokuri is exaggerating there, no matter how she did that art, it was her who did it so of course they'll tell her name, the name of the person who did it.

Scared of spider webs? I never thought anyone feared the webs, what they fear is the spider itself, isn't it? So it feels strange here reading this story showing people "scared" of Mokuri's webs but not scared of her.

Page Nine.
What strange thought process. How was her art that "hurt" someone?
This drama feels like and over exaggeration from both Mokuri and her friend. Didn't she want Mokuri's art to be seems exactly because people usually didn't liked seeing her webs? Why was it a surprise that some comments were not overly positive?

I don't get it, I don't get it...
This chapter didn't feel right to me.
maybe she didn't want that spotlight. The flashback took place when she's in high school (judging by her uniform) and that's when she is more secluded about using her webs to make art. She could just request for anonymity.

i think on page nine it could be explained that while mokuri is used to seeing polarizing opinions on her art, her friend isn't. It's one thing to hear something and another to experience it yourself. She was just not ready to see first hand people's negative reactions to the art, and it was even more hurtful that the subject of all that criticism is her friend. She could understand the difficulty that genjins underwent in a society mostly comprised of humans, and adding another layer of hardship on top of it, to her, is not something she wants her closest friend to endure.

Dex-chan lover
A lot darker than just about any other chapter, but I choose to take that as a good sign the author knows how to mature the story in a good way. Drama for the sake of drama is not good, but drama that expands on the characters and showcases growth is. And I see more of the latter here.

Yutaka being dragged off by balloons just barely edged out crossdressed Senga for heartiest lol of the chapter :meguusmug:
In that end, Tsumiki's the only one that haven't had a melancholic backstory to her, why's she so friendly and active, and so carefree? Hope that the author can cook her backstory and we're having potential to see peak here.
Honestly, since not everyone IRL has to have deep and dark demons, I'd prefer to see Tsumiki being completely drama free. She represents the best (if goofy) side of humanity where her monstrous feet instincts gravitate to always doing the right thing. Artificially grafting gritty drama onto that would weaken the point.

Fed-Kun's army
perhaps the subject of fear is both directed at the webs and who weaved it. Webs can be scary in some context, and some people on the internet can have over exaggerated opinions on something but something's more important is the fear of genjins

Dex-chan lover
maybe she didn't want that spotlight. The flashback took place when she's in high school (judging by her uniform) and that's when she is more secluded about using her webs to make art. She could just request for anonymity.

i think on page nine it could be explained that while mokuri is used to seeing polarizing opinions on her art, her friend isn't. It's one thing to hear something and to experience it yourself. She was just not ready to see first hand people's negative reactions to the art, and it was even more hurtful that the subject of all that criticism is her friend. She could understand the difficulty that genjins underwent in a society mostly comprised of humans, and adding another layer of hardship on top of it, to her, is not something she wants her closest friend to endure.

I understand a bit but still... dropping the club, maybe even the school, seems a bit of an overreaction. And I also expected their friendship to be strong enough for the chapter to show Mokuri going after her friend, but the way it was framed she didn't?
Not to mention they talked about "art" but the friend behaved like a just seeking attention and likes and praises. You can't show "art" and expect everyone to praise it.

In sum, I just didn't liked this chapter.

Fed-Kun's army
Honestly, since not everyone IRL has to have deep and dark demons, I'd prefer to see Tsumiki being completely drama free. She represents the best (if goofy) side of humanity where her monstrous feet instincts gravitate to always doing the right thing. Artificially grafting gritty drama onto that would weaken the point.
I see, honestly I think it could make for a really interesting point that Tsumiki, a human-wolf hybrid, is displaying the best traits of humanity. Just make it all the more curious to see who her mom is, as she's entirely human, and most likely the one who instills humanity to Tsumiki

Users who are viewing this thread