Oishinbo - Vol. 5 Ch. 37 - The Fragrance of Bamboo

Aggregator gang
I never liked the taste of sea bass so I wonder if its the preparation or the farmed sea bass.

Double-page supporter
I found a video of the bamboo fish being prepared, and if anyone's interested you can watch it here: https://www.douyin.com/video/6933060159459675392

There are variations of the prep method where the pork fat netting isn't used (an article cites that modern people are wary of cholesterol), but the above video does use it, and the chef also used the rotating grill method exactly like the manga says.

I found a video of the bamboo fish being prepared, and if anyone's interested you can watch it here: https://www.douyin.com/video/6933060159459675392

There are variations of the prep method where the pork fat netting isn't used (an article cites that modern people are wary of cholesterol), but the above video does use it, and the chef also used the rotating grill method exactly like the manga says.
This is fantastic. The chef is Teochew like me, and we do love our steamed fish dishes.

Healthy or not (I don't particularly care if it's actually tasty even), it's always fun to see these resourceful and traditional cooking techniques.

Double-page supporter
This is fantastic. The chef is Teochew like me, and we do love our steamed fish dishes.

Healthy or not (I don't particularly care if it's actually tasty even), it's always fun to see these resourceful and traditional cooking techniques.
Honestly I'm not even sure if health concern was really why there's a bunch of videos of bamboo fish that don't use the fat haha. I noticed that there's a lot of videos of fish grilled in bamboo where the person cooking only marinaded the fish/mixed it with the seasonings and just put it in without wrapping it in fat, and there's just like one comment/article saying it was for health.

I'm happy to be able to find one that matches the manga description more closely, though.

Users who are viewing this thread