One Day Outing Foreman - Ch. 102 - Oden

Dex-chan lover
Oden is a new year's dish eaten as a bowl with eggs, radish and konjac dropped into soup stock. I think you can find this in 7-elevens as a communal pot sort of thing.

pg.1+3, Makita has trouble finding food cart oden because during covid, the government closed down a lot of cart and street food stalls.

pg.10, hiroki refers to Ootsuki as "Master-chef" (head-chef) or "taisho 大将". This analogous to the proprietress' title "Okami 女将". Hiroki also says that he'll "leave the rest to him" which is something people say if they want the chef to decide the optimal compliments to their order ("omakase" in japanese)

pg.17, Foreman drops a chicken thigh into the oden. You might recall in the xmas chapter 2 years ago when Miyamoto got dumped that he took him to a chicken restaurant. This is a running gag.

Dex-chan lover
Makita is such an awesome dad 🥺🥺🥺 and for all his assholery, Ootsuki is one swell guy when he wants to be, too. Good on him for evening out the saccharine atmosphere by trolling Miyamoto about his breakup at the end lmaoooo

Makita reminds me of my own dad sometimes. Whatever I was interested in as a kid, if it was something we couldn't afford it would be made with his own hands. A wooden moon prism, a wooden bow (and arrows!), one time he'd carved out a lovecraftian symbol on bovine bone for me. And when I started watching anime religiously he'd made sushi rolls at home - they were huge :D
This care also extends to his students, as dad lives at work, only visiting for weekends because students live there too and oftentimes prefer to come to him for advice rather than their parents or other teachers.
Even though I'm already nearing 30s, he still makes little wooden netsuke for me that I carry around as good luck charms and gifted me an ostrich egg for birthday this year.
It's so heartwarming to see a character so similar to him when in a lot of media dads are usually kinda terrible -_-

Dex-chan lover
Goddamn that's cool. Dads (and parents overall) really signal to their kids how they feel about them from the things they do/don't do and say/don't say. Sometimes I'm envious of the dads out there in the west who communicate and do stuff with their kids.
To be fair, they're an exception here as well unfortunately
But I want to believe this chapter inspires some would-be dad to be more like Makita))

Users who are viewing this thread