One Day Outing Foreman - Vol. 13 Ch. 98 - Rice Compliment

Dex-chan lover
During the pandemic, those venture capitalists poured a lot of money into Uber Eats and other food delivery services where I got to eat takeout every week with $10-15 off each meal. I must've eaten JP cuisine at least 2 times a week haha. Some things I like are how they enhanced the flavor of plain white rice. Spring onions, sesame seeds and peppers, dried fish flakes all go into the category of what they call Furikake. They also utilize sauces like their own version of mayonnaise (they sweeten it).

Tamago-kake gohan. They love using the raw egg/soy sauce as flavoring for hot pot/shabushabu, or they'll put it on rice and slowly let it cook. I think it's the grossest thing because the rice doesn't cook the egg white or yolk well enough so you still get that slimy texture. I don't think my stomach can handle nowadays, the potential food poisoning scares me.

egg-rice-silver-spoon-01-09.png

"Ruibe"
Food of the Ainu people. Its half-frozen preparation ensures that it melts on your tongue as you eat it.

c6c4ce121fe37c04eaca803bc8b247f9_t.jpeg

Dex-chan lover
During the pandemic, those venture capitalists poured a lot of money into Uber Eats and other food delivery services where I got to eat takeout every week with $10-15 off each meal. I must've eaten JP cuisine at least 2 times a week haha. Some things I like are how they enhanced the flavor of plain white rice. Spring onions, sesame seeds and peppers, dried fish flakes all go into the category of what they call Furikake. They also utilize sauces like their own version of mayonnaise (they sweeten it).

Tamago-kake gohan. They love using the raw egg/soy sauce as flavoring for hot pot/shabushabu, or they'll put it on rice and slowly let it cook. I think it's the grossest thing because the rice doesn't cook the egg white or yolk well enough so you still get that slimy texture. I don't think my stomach can handle nowadays, the potential food poisoning scares me.

egg-rice-silver-spoon-01-09.png

"Ruibe"
Food of the Ainu people. Its half-frozen preparation ensures that it melts on your tongue as you eat it.

c6c4ce121fe37c04eaca803bc8b247f9_t.jpeg
It turns out that raw eggs are a worse source of protein compared to cooked eggs, so you are not even getting proper nutrition out of them

It is all downsides with raw food, and i am putting sashimi and raw clams here too

And of course it gets worse, there's also the whole Odorigui type of dishes, which are not really about the food but the "novelty" of eating something while it is still alive and moving just for entertainment value

Because the "raw and fresh" excuse behind sashimi can only be taken so far before it falls apart, and it never was able to go very far in the first place, by taking into account the small issue that is of food poisoning due to well... the food being raw

Fri

Supporter
People eat raw egg or raw fish specifically because they want the taste of raw egg or raw fish though. Like, if I want cooked tuna I'll eat cooked tuna, but if I want raw tuna I'll eat raw tuna, the same with egg. So it's not like "raw egg is a poor replacement of half boiled egg", they just have different taste.

Also, a slightly related trivia, obviously raw food still have its danger everywhere, but US farming standard often make eating raw produce less safe than in europe or japan. For example, in the US you have to wash egg before selling them, which actually remove the natural protective layer of the egg and allow bacteria to get through the shell, so it's unsafe to eat uncooked egg in the US. You can easily find details about this in google or youtube or something.

HCO

Dex-chan lover
This manga is 75% an unabashed love letter to Japanese culture/food and it's great. The other 25% is breaking your back working for a company that doesn't care about you which, in a way, is also about Japanese culture, lol

Fri

Supporter
This manga is 75% an unabashed love letter to Japanese culture/food and it's great. The other 25% is breaking your back working for a company that doesn't care about you which, in a way, is also about Japanese culture, lol
it's genuinely funny how this manga makes you sympathize with Teiai. But the funny thing is, I recently reread the underground arc of Kaiji. Early on the narrator actually does point out that the work is actually not that unreasonable to pay off their debt quickly, it's just all the prisoners there are trash who wouldn't be able to think that way. Like, Kaiji original's debt would only net him 1-2 year underground, apparently.

It's genuinely look safer/more reasonable than tuna boat, which is another cliche way to pay off your debt to money lender.

Dex-chan lover
It's interesting how excited the Ootsuki gang gets to have a mini rice party. Personally I think seasoning on rice is better to make it more palatable on a budget, rather than use as an exciting main dish, but just my opinion. Also just remembered the Miyomoto chapter of him attempting Keto; guess he doesn't care anymore?? lmao

Dex-chan lover
Great chapter, I'm especially interested in the "rice topping rankings" from the Edo period they alluded to on page 17. Or was that a metaphor? Like ever since that era people have their personal ranking embedded in their DNA?

At any rate, I gotta track down some of that ruibe... I am definitely a raw food enjoyer, I make TKG at home even tho I could get hit with the salmonella lol. I've had it once before, I can tank it again...

On a final note, if you enjoyed the rice topping party concept, there's a couple similar chapters in the cooking-focused Saki spinoff: https://mangadex.org/chapter/174d8ee8-3282-43ec-82e9-9503be58d24b/1

Dex-chan lover
It turns out that raw eggs are a worse source of protein compared to cooked eggs, so you are not even getting proper nutrition out of them

It is all downsides with raw food, and i am putting sashimi and raw clams here too

And of course it gets worse, there's also the whole Odorigui type of dishes, which are not really about the food but the "novelty" of eating something while it is still alive and moving just for entertainment value

Because the "raw and fresh" excuse behind sashimi can only be taken so far before it falls apart, and it never was able to go very far in the first place, by taking into account the small issue that is of food poisoning due to well... the food being raw
I remember watching a viral vid of a parasite walking along a piece of cut salmon at a JP restaurant. Nightmare fuel, never looked at raw fish the same again. If I were younger I'd probably eat more raw stuff. Getting older means that a lot of food intolerances have caught up to me which unfortunately includes a lot of seafood, both cooked and raw. I feel the same way you do when it comes to raw food, too risky not enough payoff.

Lotta (hot) rice, diabetus.jpg Just gotta walk a bit after eating them, or anything that raises your blood sugar (pretty much anything imo).
Been wondering lately why the Japanese don't like wholemeal grains and brown rice when their food is already so carb-heavy, they fry a lot of stuff and drink so much beer.

Dex-chan lover
Glad to hear you're enjoying it. You'll love the stuff that's coming up soon.

It's interesting how excited the Ootsuki gang gets to have a mini rice party. Personally I think seasoning on rice is better to make it more palatable on a budget, rather than use as an exciting main dish, but just my opinion. Also just remembered the Miyomoto chapter of him attempting Keto; guess he doesn't care anymore?? lmao
He gave up in the same chapter!

Great chapter, I'm especially interested in the "rice topping rankings" from the Edo period they alluded to on page 17. Or was that a metaphor? Like ever since that era people have their personal ranking embedded in their DNA?

At any rate, I gotta track down some of that ruibe... I am definitely a raw food enjoyer, I make TKG at home even tho I could get hit with the salmonella lol. I've had it once before, I can tank it again...

On a final note, if you enjoyed the rice topping party concept, there's a couple similar chapters in the cooking-focused Saki spinoff: https://mangadex.org/chapter/174d8ee8-3282-43ec-82e9-9503be58d24b/1
http://www.eonet.ne.jp/~shoyu/mametisiki/reference-17d.html
Seems like it was a real thing that came in the form of a condensed, one page newsletter. They displayed it like a "ranked ladder table", and split it up into several divisions (ie. soups, veggies, condiments, marinades, fish, etc.)

Dex-chan lover
Yayyyy another comfy chapter! Reminds me of an anthology of pictures I saw on danbooru of a girl enjoying rice with different compliments (soy sauce-butter combo is unbeatable)
It's a sign from the universe that I gotta try finding authentic Hokkaido rice, huh...

Raw egg on rice is freakishly good; the salmonellosis that I get from it is part of the charm ¯\(ツ)

Dex-chan lover
Yayyyy another comfy chapter! Reminds me of an anthology of pictures I saw on danbooru of a girl enjoying rice with different compliments (soy sauce-butter combo is unbeatable)
It's a sign from the universe that I gotta try finding authentic Hokkaido rice, huh...

Raw egg on rice is freakishly good; the salmonellosis that I get from it is part of the charm ¯\(ツ)
You zoomers are too wild for me I'll tell ya what

Dex-chan lover
Ruibe! I want to try that now! My personal favorite white rice topping is mentaiko, avocado, and sesame oil.
I also always go for it despite living in a country where the eggs aren't safe lol. If I die from salmonella it's natural selection and I deserve it.

Users who are viewing this thread