One Day Outing Foreman - Vol. 16 Ch. 125 - Basketball

Dex-chan lover
Top 5 JP sports:
1. Baseball: Holy moly. Baseball's already insanely popular due to its own national circuit and competitive national team, but all eyes are on Ohtani who's a once-in-a-lifetime talent.
2. Sumo
3. Soccer
4. Tennis
5. Golf
Basketball: Sort of popular. Some of the kids play it in high school and drop it afterward. Their national team sucks.
Boxing and combat sports: very popular when PRIDE was still running in Japan and they had all the heavyweights like Cro Cop, Fedor, Nogueira. Boxing's become very hot lately because of a multi-division champion Naoya Inoue who's starching fools left and right

Dex-chan lover
Top 5 JP sports:
1. Baseball: Holy moly. Baseball's already insanely popular due to its own national circuit and competitive national team, but all eyes are on Ohtani who's a once-in-a-lifetime talent.
2. Sumo
3. Soccer
4. Tennis
5. Golf
Basketball: Sort of popular. Some of the kids play it in high school and drop it afterward. Their national team sucks.
Boxing and combat sports: very popular when PRIDE was still running in Japan and they had all the heavyweights like Cro Cop, Fedor, Nogueira. Boxing's become very hot lately because of a multi-division champion Naoya Inoue who's starching fools left and right
Funny that those are also, like, the first five sports I think of when I think "Japanese media focused on sports".

Dex-chan lover
Considering that basketball is sorta niche sports in Japan... These three goofs might as well have opened up a new career path for Miyamoto :D
Gotta love Suga-san being on a lookout while Miyamoto is practicing on the clock. It probably fits right in with his "using time efficiently" principles

Dex-chan lover
Fun chapter! I had a similar feeling after reading through Kuroko no Basket recently, really wanted to start hoopin'. Was googling "rec league basketball EXTREMELY CASUAL" and such. Still kind of want to, but after I finished the series the desire diminished a bit lol.

Dex-chan lover
Funny that those are also, like, the first five sports I think of when I think "Japanese media focused on sports".
I can't explain tennis - it seems like a generally popular middle class sport which sometimes has Japanese superstars (Naomi Osaka). You're definitely right about the other ones being shown on TV all the time

Dex-chan lover
It makes you wonder about Slam Dunk's super hueg popularity if basketball is that unpopular.
Makes me wonder if when the manga was running basketball gained popularity, and a few years later after the kids who read it grew up tried to go pro and stuff. However, seems like even if Slam Dunk gave such a boost it doesn't seem like it lasted.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Must be nice living in a country where you can casually play basketball without the real fear of some total savages dunking on you

And you better not stay below the net, and if you do, you better be short, and if you aren't... make them pay with a headbutt

Is ok you can pass it out as an accident, you must do it, you have to do it, they need to go back to the floor on their knees and in pain, their tears will distract everyone from the fact that you got their balls on your head

Or just stay here on the internet with me, not being dunk on

Users who are viewing this thread