One Day Outing Foreman - Vol. 16 Ch. 127 - Human Intellect

Dex-chan lover
A chapter written by AI. Makes me a bit nervous that the AI has learned all the "one this day", "indeed", however", etc. set phrases the mangaka loves to use lol
The black-suit in the end feels like a true Agent Smith from The Matrix.

On a personal note, the advent of AI is part of why I'm quitting my current job and looking for ways to finally use my degree and move to Japan before it's too late. They say that the way to beat AI is to be able to skill-up in things which computers can't do, but really when it's neural networks and millions of computers working together making complex calculations in microseconds, we're kind of screwed.

Dex-chan lover
I don't think AI is ever going to actually be a threat to any creative industry-because it's so bereft of intent. It's math disguising itself as effort, which is why often it repeats patterns and regurgitates the same shit over and over.
There's an anime I watched a few years ago: Vivy Flourite Eye's Song where a plot point was the android FMC was trying to write a song but it took 200 years in her mindbrain to write a line. Computers won't be able to write or draw beautiful things on their own - it's going to be some techbro who curates it with human volunteers or coders. They're going to tweak it little by little until it's passable and they're going to shill it to Google or whatever.

Dex-chan lover
I don't think AI is ever going to actually be a threat to any creative industry-because it's so bereft of intent. It's math disguising itself as effort, which is why often it repeats patterns and regurgitates the same shit over and over.
Be it as it may, the danger lies in actual paying entities choosing AI over human creators for cost-cutting purposes. Unless mediated somehow, it might as well force any creative work to become a strict hobby with the end product that can be barely protected from being used as a basis for AI.
I've also read an article that the excessive usage of AI is very energy-consuming and lol'd hard; because of blackouts out of 30 days this month I have had around 6 days with no power if we total up all scheduled blackouts - and yet somewhere else AI is bringing heat death closer because someone needs to generate anime bob :D
Weird chapter for sure, I just hope it was therapeutic for the authors to, I guess, express their concerns this way.

Dex-chan lover
This is such a wild chapter, ironically enough I think it was a pretty unique idea. I guess the AI One Day Outing Foreman formula is: Ootsuki is free, he eats good food, has a revelation, goes home. Not a wrong interpretation, but lacks any semblance of flavor.

Dex-chan lover
Fun idea for a chapter~ also couldn't help but think maybe it was the author wanting to take a well-deserved pseudo-vacation, lol.

Long rambling thing about AI:

I feel very conflicted about AI as someone who's followed topics like neural networks and generative AI since 2010ish. First off, there's tons of extremely legitimate immediately useful tasks that are handled excellently by this technology. It currently outperforms human doctors in analyzing and diagnosing scans, is basically the only way to scale medicine development complexity, is by far the fastest and most reliable method of classifying huge amounts of data, etc etc. At the same time, some of the most evil uses of AI also falls under this "actually really useful" methods, like drone weapons or mass identification in crowds. I think regardless of what happens with the more publicized gen AI tech, these uses will just keep rolling along, for better or worse...

When it comes to gen AI and other such tools, I really think it's better to think of them as toys. You should never expect it to produce anything profound, truly compelling, worthy of deep emotional investment, etc. You certainly shouldn't expect it to give you good guidance or accurate info. But I do think that it can be a great way to have fun, in a wholly unique way. Thinking of weird prompts to surprise yourself and your friends is a really novel type of play that can even spark some creative inspiration. But as much as I love playing around with this stuff, I basically never do anymore because of how bad the vibes are around Gen AI these days.

I basically think these idiotic techbros do NOT know how to market gen AI as a product. IMMEDIATELY they started trying to claim it could do EVERYTHING, all these major consequential things, driving cars, being your secretary, making your ideal music and movies... things that a) these models were nowhere near capable of doing (and may never be capable of) and b) no normal person had any interest in having an AI do for them anyways! They focused immediately on all the jobs it could replace, which just immediately makes you the enemy of anyone with that job title. They highlighted so consistently the "artistic" output of gen AI, which put a huge spotlight on training controversies and lead to inevitable "AI was supposed to do tedious work so I can draw, but now it just draws and I'm just left with tedious work" rhetoric. They desperately pushed for as many customers as possible using it as much as possible, drawing attention to their truly horrendous energy usage.

This was in part done to wow FOMO-driven uneducated VCs who ended up funding a lot of AI companies on the basis of nonsensical promises, but I also truly think a lot of techbros just have absolutely no idea how to market a product like this. If it was me (a successful tech marketer lol) I would have pushed for more specific productization, making Jackbox-style games using gen AI, or other limited tools that would let specific audiences have a lot of fun, like teaming with Lego to make a "Legoify any drawing" tool, something like that. This could build up goodwill to support a slow expansion of capabilities. You can argue that since so many companies were working with gen AI, someone among them would make a generalist chatGPT-esque tool and crush the market, but I honestly think it would have the opposite reaction. I think we're seeing now that specific product experiences have a lot more staying power than just an open box that does "everything" (only sorta well).

It basically felt like all these AI companies were in some sort of bizarre standoff where they all just had guns pointed at their own feet. Everyone had to be as greedy as possible, disrupt as much as possible, fly as close as possible to the sun. And as a result now I think the whole technology will have a stink on it forever, no matter how much better it gets. Technology so mindblowing that it took the whole world by storm - pictures from a sentence! Answers every question! - now has the aura of an evil scam, one that it's earned.

I ended up rambling on for a while here, oops. Just stuff that's often on my mind I guess. I wrote a whole other thing about it too if you're curious: https://docs.google.com/document/d/...AuOjsvEd54Zhz9ejpI/edit#heading=h.5h366c6pjc4

Dex-chan lover
Fun idea for a chapter~ also couldn't help but think maybe it was the author wanting to take a well-deserved pseudo-vacation, lol.

Long rambling thing about AI:

I feel very conflicted about AI as someone who's followed topics like neural networks and generative AI since 2010ish. First off, there's tons of extremely legitimate immediately useful tasks that are handled excellently by this technology. It currently outperforms human doctors in analyzing and diagnosing scans, is basically the only way to scale medicine development complexity, is by far the fastest and most reliable method of classifying huge amounts of data, etc etc. At the same time, some of the most evil uses of AI also falls under this "actually really useful" methods, like drone weapons or mass identification in crowds. I think regardless of what happens with the more publicized gen AI tech, these uses will just keep rolling along, for better or worse...

When it comes to gen AI and other such tools, I really think it's better to think of them as toys. You should never expect it to produce anything profound, truly compelling, worthy of deep emotional investment, etc. You certainly shouldn't expect it to give you good guidance or accurate info. But I do think that it can be a great way to have fun, in a wholly unique way. Thinking of weird prompts to surprise yourself and your friends is a really novel type of play that can even spark some creative inspiration. But as much as I love playing around with this stuff, I basically never do anymore because of how bad the vibes are around Gen AI these days.

I basically think these idiotic techbros do NOT know how to market gen AI as a product. IMMEDIATELY they started trying to claim it could do EVERYTHING, all these major consequential things, driving cars, being your secretary, making your ideal music and movies... things that a) these models were nowhere near capable of doing (and may never be capable of) and b) no normal person had any interest in having an AI do for them anyways! They focused immediately on all the jobs it could replace, which just immediately makes you the enemy of anyone with that job title. They highlighted so consistently the "artistic" output of gen AI, which put a huge spotlight on training controversies and lead to inevitable "AI was supposed to do tedious work so I can draw, but now it just draws and I'm just left with tedious work" rhetoric. They desperately pushed for as many customers as possible using it as much as possible, drawing attention to their truly horrendous energy usage.

This was in part done to wow FOMO-driven uneducated VCs who ended up funding a lot of AI companies on the basis of nonsensical promises, but I also truly think a lot of techbros just have absolutely no idea how to market a product like this. If it was me (a successful tech marketer lol) I would have pushed for more specific productization, making Jackbox-style games using gen AI, or other limited tools that would let specific audiences have a lot of fun, like teaming with Lego to make a "Legoify any drawing" tool, something like that. This could build up goodwill to support a slow expansion of capabilities. You can argue that since so many companies were working with gen AI, someone among them would make a generalist chatGPT-esque tool and crush the market, but I honestly think it would have the opposite reaction. I think we're seeing now that specific product experiences have a lot more staying power than just an open box that does "everything" (only sorta well).

It basically felt like all these AI companies were in some sort of bizarre standoff where they all just had guns pointed at their own feet. Everyone had to be as greedy as possible, disrupt as much as possible, fly as close as possible to the sun. And as a result now I think the whole technology will have a stink on it forever, no matter how much better it gets. Technology so mindblowing that it took the whole world by storm - pictures from a sentence! Answers every question! - now has the aura of an evil scam, one that it's earned.

I ended up rambling on for a while here, oops. Just stuff that's often on my mind I guess. I wrote a whole other thing about it too if you're curious: https://docs.google.com/document/d/...AuOjsvEd54Zhz9ejpI/edit#heading=h.5h366c6pjc4

Gracious me. I don't suppose you work in tech do you keatsta :)
To a layman like me who doesn't have any technical insight in AI or coding, it seems like it's a tool which automates a lot of things to increase production while saving money and making a lot of it at the same time, which is kind of like a pipeline to late stage capitalism
That is... not too groovy.

Dex-chan lover
A chapter written by AI. Makes me a bit nervous that the AI has learned all the "one this day", "indeed", however", etc. set phrases the mangaka loves to use lol
The black-suit in the end feels like a true Agent Smith from The Matrix.

On a personal note, the advent of AI is part of why I'm quitting my current job and looking for ways to finally use my degree and move to Japan before it's too late. They say that the way to beat AI is to be able to skill-up in things which computers can't do, but really when it's neural networks and millions of computers working together making complex calculations in microseconds, we're kind of screwed.
If he gave the AI the scripts of 2 or 3 chapters to use as training, then it definitively can pick up of those catch phrases, because if AI has one strength it is pattern recognition, it is the backbone they use in order to make reiterations

What is still weak at is fact checking and spontaneous creativity, it is still very susceptible to being feed and working with outright false information, and everything it will create has to be heavily traced, despite the hype we are still quite far away from adaptive models and even farther away from General purpose AI

There's an anime I watched a few years ago: Vivy Flourite Eye's Song where a plot point was the android FMC was trying to write a song but it took 200 years in her mindbrain to write a line. Computers won't be able to write or draw beautiful things on their own - it's going to be some techbro who curates it with human volunteers or coders. They're going to tweak it little by little until it's passable and they're going to shill it to Google or whatever.

I hate that anime with a passion, they sold me a time travel fantasy idol anime and passed it as if it was going to be the next Ghost in the Shell, and GitS itself wasn't even that big on hard Sci-fi since the entire premise of the show relies on the soul existing and being able to be digitalized, basically operating with mana

Dex-chan lover
Page 15 has a typo. "Is isn't possible to re-do this life again..."
Though we could just blame that on the AI ;)
Hey, cheers for this. As you can see, I don't QC my scans so feel free to point them out and I'll fix them right up

I hate that anime with a passion, they sold me a time travel fantasy idol anime and passed it as if it was going to be the next Ghost in the Shell, and GitS itself wasn't even that big on hard Sci-fi since the entire premise of the show relies on the soul existing and being able to be digitalized, basically operating with mana
vivy's issue was that it got cursed with the 13 episode format and worked as though they had 26 eps. Just as I was getting comfy with it, by ep.10 it began wrapping things up so it left me very unfulfilled. It's like they put a large chocolate cake in front of me and took it away after cutting me a tiny slice.
GITS was my jam. I downloaded the japanese transcripts for every episode and learned all the vocab from them so I could watch them without subs lol.

Hold on there, the AI boom is very recent, so when did Kaiji strip him of his position again? :pepehmm:
Here's a thing Tertiaritus wrote in the main page. We're working in different timelines but everything in Kaiji still happened I assume

Fed-Kun's army
The AI generated chapter is so vanilla lol, the chapter isn't about anything it's just a checklist of things lol makes you realize the worth of IDEAS.

Users who are viewing this thread