One Day Outing Foreman - Vol. 17 Ch. 129 - Favorite

Dex-chan lover
Reasons why Pork Cutlets (tonkatsu) and Kara-age is more popular than Chicken Cutlets (chikin katsu):
  • Pork is more expensive but if you're going to eat out and treat yourself you don't want to eat cheap chicken
  • Kara-age is cut into pieces and breaded before frying so every bite is crunchy and has more flavor
  • Kara-age is easier and quicker to fry so you get your order quicker
  • Kids love kara-age more than they do the cutlets
  • Pork Cutlets have better texture
Chicken Cutlets are cheaper in general. I believe they're less popular because it's considered as a "western dish" like a schnitzel or a fried chicken steak. Living in the west, I find that restaurants and uber eats always have chicken cutlets on the menu and they're priced the same.
Personally, I prefer the kara-age. It reminds me of chinese honey soy chicken where every bite is a flavor-punch

Dex-chan lover
Meanwhile living in a country with muslim as majority cause most restaurant in my country only provide chicken meat for cutlet. And those that actually sold the pork one is either not tasty enough or dang expensive.
My guess is...Indonesia? Don't think you're missing out on much. As I get older it gets harder and harder to eat pork because it's so heavy on the stomach. Chicken is SS-tier

Dex-chan lover
My guess is...Indonesia? Don't think you're missing out on much. As I get older it gets harder and harder to eat pork because it's so heavy on the stomach. Chicken is SS-tier
Yeah. But I did went to Japan and at least eat Katsudon and menchi Katsu. Man It is really good at least for Katsudon. But yeah, pork start to feel heavy unlike chicken lol.

Dex-chan lover
Isawa is op please nerf!

All Ootsuki has to do is turn Japan into a Muslim country and then no one will be able to get down with pork, gg EZ

I like kara-age more too, it is like a better crunchier chicken nugget, but... a worse orange chicken, the Koreans and Chinese just make it better, both the chilly and sweet versions

So really chicken cutlet doesn't has a way to compete, plus pairing it with mayo... and I get it "Japanese and Korean mayo be build different" it is still mayonnaise, I prefer any other sauce over it, although I do admit the alternate chicken cutlet sounds intriguing, but I don't see it beating spicy orange chicken tho

With all that said the only SS meat is beef, if I went full vegan that's the only animal I would miss, in fact is the only animal that makes me feel bad for them being born tasting so deliciously

Dex-chan lover
Isawa is the person all grandmas dream of, he loves everything and even if he doesn't like something all that much he'll be there for the vibes...

Chicken cutlet... It's my safe choice when I don't trust anything on the menu. Pretty sure if you fry 90% of things in panko they'd be delish (insert stale trope of a purple slop with various breaded things and bones sticking out of it - you know, the one a clutz in romcoms always cooks)
My vices are chicken cutlets with butter or cheese inside, compared to that even katsudon digests just fine

Dex-chan lover
It was interesting to learn about chicken katsu's out-of-place role in Japan, ty for the further explanation in the notes too. Here in Canada it's basically on the menu everywhere tonkatsu is, and stuff like chicken schnitzel is pretty popular too. More recently we've seen an influx of "big chicken" places like Hot Star that I think are generally Taiwanese and very tasty. A place near me does one with plum salt that's so addictive.

As I was reading this I felt like a comrade to the foreman, like dang he's so right, it's so juicy and delicious, but by the end, I realized I was Isawa, I just love everything lol. But I wouldn't want it any other way...

Dex-chan lover
It was interesting to learn about chicken katsu's out-of-place role in Japan, ty for the further explanation in the notes too. Here in Canada it's basically on the menu everywhere tonkatsu is, and stuff like chicken schnitzel is pretty popular too. More recently we've seen an influx of "big chicken" places like Hot Star that I think are generally Taiwanese and very tasty. A place near me does one with plum salt that's so addictive.

As I was reading this I felt like a comrade to the foreman, like dang he's so right, it's so juicy and delicious, but by the end, I realized I was Isawa, I just love everything lol. But I wouldn't want it any other way...
My dad bought Hot Star for us when the chain opened here. He got the flat fried chicken steak which was salted and peppered. Oh ma gawd.
I love how everyone in the world has perfected fried chicken.

HCO

Dex-chan lover
Chicken Cutlets are cheaper in general. I believe they're less popular because it's considered as a "western dish" like a schnitzel or a fried chicken steak. Living in the west, I find that restaurants and uber eats always have chicken cutlets on the menu and they're priced the same.
Personally, I prefer the kara-age. It reminds me of chinese honey soy chicken where every bite is a flavor-punch
This is personally funny to me because when I used to eat off Uber Eats every single day, if I got Japanese food it'd always be chicken katsu. So, yeah, spot-on analysis.

Dex-chan lover
This is personally funny to me because when I used to eat off Uber Eats every single day, if I got Japanese food it'd always be chicken katsu. So, yeah, spot-on analysis.
If you buy Japanese food from uber eats, they often come in the rectangular bentos instead of the bowls in the restaurants. They pack the bentos with rice and sides in the smaller partitions so the cutlets are more filling and hearty in my opinion

I miss the days of pandemic uber eats and menulog. $10 coupons per week take me back

Dex-chan lover
I agree with the Ootsuki clone guy, I actually prefer chicken breast over other cuts and meats. Idk it's less oily and the tougher texture is actually preferable imo, and cheaper just means that I save more money on what I like. But I still like kara-age more lol

Dex-chan lover
Ootsuki didn't manage to sell me on chicken cutlet > pork cutlet, but it sounds real tasty chicken cutlet guy's way.
Overall, I'd say my opinion stands as pork cutlet > chicken cutlet > karaage. Karaage makes me uncomfortable because it always feels like I'm eating a snack as a meal and I don't think it goes as well with rice as cutlet.

Users who are viewing this thread