One Day Outing Foreman - Vol. 17 Ch. 132 - Growing Taller

Dex-chan lover
The adults in the manga tell Hiroki and Toshiya that they've "grown taller" whenever they see them. It doesn't mean that they've grown taller - it's a customary opener when you talk to kids. This probably exists in every culture.

They also say his name a lot, even after they've gone past the greeting stage where adults usually address each other as "you". Foreman says it in almost every instance he talks to him. My theory is that this creates a sense of connection between the two, and signals to the child that they're being recognized by an adult.

Foreman takes a bath with Hiroki. Is this weird to you? It's pretty normal in Asian cultures, especially in Japan where they have a bathing culture. There's a photo of me in the family album where I'm being held by my grandfather by my wrists up, and I'm dangling in the air in a bath. I didn't know it happened until I saw the pic

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Hiroki is such a good kid, he will grow to be a great black suit one day :dogkek:

The adults in the manga tell Hiroki and Toshiya that they've "grown taller" whenever they see them. It doesn't mean that they've grown taller - it's a customary opener when you talk to kids. This probably exists in every culture.

They also say his name a lot, even after they've gone past the greeting stage where adults usually address each other as "you". Foreman says it in almost every instance he talks to him. My theory is that this creates a sense of connection between the two, and signals to the child that they're being recognized by an adult.

Foreman takes a bath with Hiroki. Is this weird to you? It's pretty normal in Asian cultures, especially in Japan where they have a bathing culture. There's a photo of me in the family album where I'm being held by my grandfather by my wrists up, and I'm dangling in the air in a bath. I didn't know it happened until I saw the pic
Yeah you're supposed to take baths by yourself as soon as possible, because bathing is not seen as a social activity, but more of a daily routine and as such in the pursuit of raising children that can be autonomous and independent, who can fend for themselves and lift themselves up by the bootstraps, and get out of your basement, then the sooner you can bath alone the better

Now of course there's a time in which you had to take baths along with an adult, but it would always be a close family member or catetaker, your own parents or grandparents, and the bathing will always have instructional elements to it, in the hopes that you will be learning how to take baths alone

Think of baths more like showers, and then think of the fancy relaxing baths as things adults do when they want to laze off and chill by themselves, even for aromatic baths with salts and candles I have never seen or heard of them being taken by 2 people at the same time, even when used for foreplay the guy is usually using the time to get ready in bed rather than joining in on the bathtub, probably because most tubs are not big enough for 2 adults to comfortably fit in, for that there are jacuzzis but jacuzzis are seen as small fancy pools rather than big bathtubs

So sharing a bathtub with some random friend of your dad, or other adult, is not really something that is seen in the west, and when it does happens, people hold some concerns about why it ended happening with someone other than the child's parents

What was more "normal" was sharing a bath with other kids your own age when you were young enough that 2 or 3 kids could fit in a bathtub, but that's more of a poor people's pool time kind of thing "let the kids goof in the bathtub for a while it is a hot day, and we are not taking ya'll to an actual pool, and I am not blowing up the kiddy pool neither!", so not even that normal really and even then I think that's still more of a black and latino thing, not the poor part, but the part when your dad refuses to inflate the pool so you all end in the bathtub part, everyone else either gets the kiddy pool or is being taken to the actual public pool

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Can confirm that being an uncle is badass and that my nephew and niece love it when I come around.

Last time we got manga (nephew loves him some Kirby, don't think he's ready for Kaiji and the like just yet but I'll get lil' man Zawa zawa'ing sooner or later.), books, dumplings (their first time! The second came a few weeks later from their parents. I am a good influence), and finished off with ice cream.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah you're supposed to take baths by yourself as soon as possible, because bathing is not seen as a social activity, but more of a daily routine and as such in the pursuit of raising children that can be autonomous and independent, who can fend for themselves and lift themselves up by the bootstraps, and get out of your basement, then the sooner you can bath alone the better

Now of course there's a time in which you had to take baths along with an adult, but it would always be a close family member or catetaker, your own parents or grandparents, and the bathing will always have instructional elements to it, in the hopes that you will be learning how to take baths alone

Think of baths more like showers, and then think of the fancy relaxing baths as things adults do when they want to laze off and chill by themselves, even for aromatic baths with salts and candles I have never seen or heard of them being taken by 2 people at the same time, even when used for foreplay the guy is usually using the time to get ready in bed rather than joining in on the bathtub, probably because most tubs are not big enough for 2 adults to comfortably fit in, for that there are jacuzzis but jacuzzis are seen as small fancy pools rather than big bathtubs

So sharing a bathtub with some random friend of your dad, or other adult, is not really something that is seen in the west, and when it does happens, people hold some concerns about why it ended happening with someone other than the child's parents
What was more "normal" was sharing a bath with other kids your own age when you were young enough that 2 or 3 kids could fit in a bathtub, but that's more of a poor people's pool time kind of thing "let the kids goof in the bathtub for a while it is a hot day, and we are not taking ya'll to an actual pool, and I am not blowing up the kiddy pool neither!", so not even that normal really and even then I think that's still more of a black and latino thing, not the poor part, but the part when your dad refuses to inflate the pool so you all end in the bathtub part, everyone else either gets the kiddy pool or is being taken to the actual public pool
I was thinking about "Everybody Hates Chris" where he shares his clothes, shoes and books with his siblings and sharing a bath seems to be a money-saving measure done by poorer immigrant families. I know my dad did it when he was younger growing up in his family of 7.

Kids sharing a bath with an unrelated adult...hmm...
Normal, but probably old-fashioned on the way out. Depends on the circumstances, as Makita's a single father and Foreman and the gang have been pitching in for communal child-rearing so it's not as weird as it seems.

Can confirm that being an uncle is badass and that my nephew and niece love it when I come around.

Last time we got manga (nephew loves him some Kirby, don't think he's ready for Kaiji and the like just yet but I'll get lil' man Zawa zawa'ing sooner or later.), books, dumplings (their first time! The second came a few weeks later from their parents. I am a good influence), and finished off with ice cream.
you know what they say - being an uncle means thaty you're enjoying the perks of having kids without all the negatives and costs :)

Dex-chan lover
Very cute chapter~ I like that they're still playing "Slay the Spirit", very realistic lol. And Ootsuki telling the story of Kimura stuck in the bathroom, great little moments of continuity.

I can remember having similar experiences growing up, where I was allowed to hang out with my dad and his friends while they drank and played cards and shot the shit. It really did make me feel cool...

Dex-chan lover
Super cute, another very identifiable childhood moment put to paper. Even with the difficulties of a single dad raising 2 kids on his own, you can always feel how much he loves his kids.
Don't know what the drink he gave Hiroki was but it occurs to me that you technically could give kids things like alcohol-free beer? Although I'm sure the taste wouldn't make them too happy lol

Dex-chan lover
Aw I just love chapters with Makita, he's a top-class dad! That said, for the sake of preserving these precious memories I hope his kids never find out true nature of his work and why uncle Ootsuki hangs our with them so infrequently

In my country it used to be customary for older (much older than the gang here) adults to tell you they remember you "this small" and they show sth like 🤏 it used to really get on my nerves haha

Double-page supporter
Hiroki is such a good kid, he will grow to be a great black suit one day :dogkek:

I’d think the more unsettling part would be eating popsicles while in the bath

Dex-chan lover
Aw I just love chapters with Makita, he's a top-class dad! That said, for the sake of preserving these precious memories I hope his kids never find out true nature of his work and why uncle Ootsuki hangs our with them so infrequently

In my country it used to be customary for older (much older than the gang here) adults to tell you they remember you "this small" and they show sth like 🤏 it used to really get on my nerves haha
Speaking of which, did you know that emoji spurred all the south korean incels into an anti-#MeToo movement a few years ago?

Users who are viewing this thread