One Day Outing Foreman - Vol. 17 Ch. 134 - Chain

Dex-chan lover
There is a phenomenon called the Shoulder-barging Man or ぶつかり男 in Japanese, where men, usually salarymen or old people bump into children or women because of their frustrations from home or at work. Nowadays, foreigners are also targeted. Sometimes they shoulder-check you and keep walking, other times they'll confront you claiming that they're hurt, and they'll demand either an apology or money.
A possible explanation of this goes back to the days of yore, when the samurai would purposely shoulder-check to get into fights and have an excuse to use their swords. Similarly, the yaks would do this to pick fights on the street, and now we see it today utilized by the salaryman ruling class.

This Foreman manga has an interesting view on old people.
When it's positive, they use the words "Ojisan" (Makita was the golf-teaching uncle) and Toshiya calls the Foreman by "Uncle Ootsuki".
Ootsuki refers to himself and the group as old geezers and old timers. It feels like the implication is that they tend to go at their own pace and do things which are comfortable for them, even if they seem strange.
Then there's the negative use of it when the word "jiji" and "kuso-jiji" in this chapter are used. Old people flipping out and doing whatever they want without regard for the consequences.

first page failed to upload. now fixed.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
That last page LOL He's just like me FR 😮
Maybe it's obvious to other people at an earlier age but when it comes to "batons of negativity", learning the maturity it takes to just not match that energy was a big "Oh!" moment in adulthood for me!?

Dex-chan lover
There is a phenomenon called the Shoulder-barging Man or ぶつかり男 in Japanese, where men, usually salarymen or old people bump into children or women because of their frustrations from home or at work. Nowadays, foreigners are also targeted. Sometimes they shoulder-check you and keep walking, other times they'll confront you claiming that they're hurt, and they'll demand either an apology or money.
A possible explanation of this goes back to the days of yore, when the samurai would purposely shoulder-check to get into fights and have an excuse to use their swords. Similarly, the yaks would do this to pick fights on the street, and now we see it today utilized by the salaryman ruling class.

This Foreman manga has an interesting view on old people.
When it's positive, they use the words "Ojisan" (Makita was the golf-teaching uncle) and Toshiya calls the Foreman by "Uncle Ootsuki".
Ootsuki refers to himself and the group as old geezers and old timers. It feels like the implication is that they tend to go at their own pace and do things which are comfortable for them, even if they seem strange.
Then there's the negative use of it when the word "jiji" and "kuso-jiji" in this chapter are used. Old people flipping out and doing whatever they want without regard for the consequences.
Jeez they went from groping people on trains to elbowing people on trains? Wait... that's weirdly enough... kind of an upgrade isn't it?

I am not really a fan of public transportation, the crowded spaces alone are frankly dehumanizing, but I have an anecdote that tipped the scale for me from disliking to straight out hate

This happened almost 6 years ago, one night I had to take a late bus back home, it was actually quite crowded but I was lucky enough to secure myself a seat near a window right on the middle of the bus, and with 2 or 3 stations away I dosed off and felt asleep, last thing I remember was that the woman sitting next to me had a moustache, a horse shoe kind of moustache, a pink one piece dress with orange and white flowers, and long blonde hair, quite the combination, unforgettable

Anyways, I manage to wake up when they announced my stop, I stand up and then, my left pocket feels surprisingly light... well in those 2 to 3 stations I was asleep someone had stolen my cellphone, and opened my back pack's front pockets, I go to the driver and ask him about the woman, of course panicking thinking that somehow I could chase her back to wherever she may have gotten off, the kind of dumb idea that comes to you after waking up...

And then the driver tells me "yes I remember that woman, she got off 2 stations ago, but she didn't had a moustache anymore", I ask him if he remembers her face without the moustache and he tells me that no he can only remember her with the moustache because of how unusual it was, I look behind me and ask a couple that were sitting behind the driver and they confirm that, yes the moustaches woman was real, but alas they too only remember the moustache

Nothing else I could do, but to get off and walk home, next day I make the report of my stolen phone, and have to explain to the police that a woman in a tacky dress with a damn fake moustache probably stole my phone after I fell asleep in the bus, and then repeat this tale once again to my phone plan provider in hope of getting a renewal phone or at least a discount

As you can guess no one took my case seriously, my phone was never found, the woman was never caught, the people at my phone provider pretty much charged me full price for the renewal, and on top of it all I ended looking like a fool or a crazy guy in front of everyone else because they either don't believe me, or think that just because a woman had a moustache doesn't means she was the culprit, but why else would someone wear a fake moustache in a damn bus late at night!?

Anyways public transportation sucks, and I hate it :meguuusad:

Dex-chan lover
That last page LOL He's just like me FR 😮
Maybe it's obvious to other people at an earlier age but when it comes to "batons of negativity", learning the maturity it takes to just not match that energy was a big "Oh!" moment in adulthood for me!?
My mom was all about getting even. Picking fights, getting even, picking fights, getting even, etc.
There's so much petty nonsense in the world that none of it's worth getting fussed about. One of the best things I did for myself was not taking things personally and walk away from drama.

Jeez they went from groping people on trains to elbowing people on trains? Wait... that's weirdly enough... kind of an upgrade isn't it?

I am not really a fan of public transportation, the crowded spaces alone are frankly dehumanizing, but I have an anecdote that tipped the scale for me from disliking to straight out hate

This happened almost 6 years ago, one night I had to take a late bus back home, it was actually quite crowded but I was lucky enough to secure myself a seat near a window right on the middle of the bus, and with 2 or 3 stations away I dosed off and felt asleep, last thing I remember was that the woman sitting next to me had a moustache, a horse shoe kind of moustache, a pink one piece dress with orange and white flowers, and long blonde hair, quite the combination, unforgettable

Anyways, I manage to wake up when they announced my stop, I stand up and then, my left pocket feels surprisingly light... well in those 2 to 3 stations I was asleep someone had stolen my cellphone, and opened my back pack's front pockets, I go to the driver and ask him about the woman, of course panicking thinking that somehow I could chase her back to wherever she may have gotten off, the kind of dumb idea that comes to you after waking up...

And then the driver tells me "yes I remember that woman, she got off 2 stations ago, but she didn't had a moustache anymore", I ask him if he remembers her face without the moustache and he tells me that no he can only remember her with the moustache because of how unusual it was, I look behind me and ask a couple that were sitting behind the driver and they confirm that, yes the moustaches woman was real, but alas they too only remember the moustache

Nothing else I could do, but to get off and walk home, next day I make the report of my stolen phone, and have to explain to the police that a woman in a tacky dress with a damn fake moustache probably stole my phone after I fell asleep in the bus, and then repeat this tale once again to my phone plan provider in hope of getting a renewal phone or at least a discount

As you can guess no one took my case seriously, my phone was never found, the woman was never caught, the people at my phone provider pretty much charged me full price for the renewal, and on top of it all I ended looking like a fool or a crazy guy in front of everyone else because they either don't believe me, or think that just because a woman had a moustache doesn't means she was the culprit, but why else would someone wear a fake moustache in a damn bus late at night!?

No, they still do the groping. It's just, they do this shoulder-bump thing on top of that. Is that good, or...

Getting your phone stolen. Damn, what was it?

I remember talking about this back in high school with friends, about what we'd do if we got robbed for our phones (ie. if we'd fight for them) and most of us agreed that the phones weren't worth it.
Nowadays I understand that phones have become a fashion accessory in addition to being productivity and personal devices. If you have an android you have a green chat bubble or something when you talk to iPhone users. Girls won't date you if you have an android. People using their expensive phones with a protective case when they take them to work, but when they take them out. It's like it's a shoe or something. The top-tier phones also cost over $1000USD. It's crazy.

🙏 All belligerents should go to hell 😇
⛅ 🌈 :) 🙏

Last edited:

Fri

Supporter

I heard anecdotes that moustache is really good for disguising yourself, but not for the reason people expect. If you have fake id, as long as both of you and the picture have a moustache, people would ignore it even if the rest of your face don't really look similar. because all they can see is the moustache. It's about having a single memorable detail.

Dex-chan lover
The other day I was interviewing for a public office assistant position, and in the front lobby there was a lady who muttered "shyster" at me. I was so confused mostly because it's such an old timey insult lmao
she went shakespearian on you, damn.

i really like this imagery of a baton of negativity. it makes it really clear that this is something dumped on to you: not something that you should feel personally responsible for, and likely the person dumping it on you wasn't responsible either. they had it dumped on them too. makes me think... when i see someone say something dumb on twitter, they've likely had decades of batons dumped on them. why do i grab one off the pile and get mad too? we'll see if i can put this into practice, though...

Dex-chan lover
My mom was all about getting even. Picking fights, getting even, picking fights, getting even, etc.
There's so much petty nonsense in the world that none of it's worth getting fussed about. One of the best things I did for myself was not taking things personally and walk away from drama.

No, they still do the groping. It's just, they do this shoulder-bump thing on top of that. Is that good, or...

Getting your phone stolen. Damn, what was it?

I remember talking about this back in high school with friends, about what we'd do if we got robbed for our phones (ie. if we'd fight for them) and most of us agreed that the phones weren't worth it.
Nowadays I understand that phones have become a fashion accessory in addition to being productivity and personal devices. If you have an android you have a green chat bubble or something when you talk to iPhone users. Girls won't date you if you have an android. People using their expensive phones with a protective case when they take them to work, but when they take them out. It's like it's a shoe or something. The top-tier phones also cost over $1000USD. It's crazy.

⛅ 🌈 :) 🙏
Oh damn then they just got plainly worse

It was a Samsung Galaxy, I like to play on my phone, so it has always been android for me, I saw it more of an updated gameboy rather than a phone, I had installed an emulator for Nintendo DS, Hearthstone, this puzzle game called Eterna, shooter i don't think it was Call of Duty, this was before it came out on mobile I think, in fact the two things I always care the most with phones is performance and disk space, i have never cared about the camera despite everyone always trying to make that the main thing

You can imagine that as a gamer I am also not all that worried about women not being interested, ironically I managed to meet a couple of girls after installing Pokemon Go, so you know, it is nice to know that you don't have to go with the popular trends just avoid being maidenless, of course this means less options, but what you do end up finding will fill more closer to you

I agree fighting a robber is not worth the risk, the sensible option is to cooperate, which brings me to a different anecdote

I have been robbed at gun point before, this was like 5 years ago, so one year before the pandemic, it was super scary, I was going to downtown looking for a cheap technician to repair my laptop, so on my wait out I was ambushed by a guy on a motorcycle with a revolver, told me to throw him my backpack (probably thinking that I still had my laptop inside)

Then I did the gustiest shit I have done in my life

I bargained! That's right I said "look man at least let me get my phone out", the guy must have been panicking because he agreed, I opened my bag took my phone out and then threw him the backpack, then stepped back, of course after he took my backpack he demanded me to threw my phone too, which I did except that I slid it across the street so that it landed ahead of him, so he would have to get off from the bike entirely or drive a bit ahead in order to get my phone

In the middle of all this a group of old men that were drinking at a bar (this was on a Friday 2 PM) noticed that I was being robbed and they started making noise, the guy aims at them and shoots once, and then drives off with my backpack unable to steal my phone or wallet which was probably his next target

I am kind of pumping with adrenaline, so I take my phone and go running to check on the old men luckily the bullet missed or it was a blank shot, the bartender calls the police, which arrives a whole damn hour late! I swear they are never around when you need them and when they are around they are an inconvenience, I give them the details of what happened, and this was the most frustrating part of the whole event

They arrived insisting before hand that the guy who robbed me was a black teenager, when everyone there keep telling them it was a fat white middle aged man wearing casual office clothes, so the bastards from the start where already planning to pin down the crime on some random kid

Then when they asked me about what was taken, the moment they learned that my backpack only had a portable battery, and some client's documents, they immediately lost interest in the case "oh that guy just wasted his time, he probably threw your backpack on some trashcan or corner already", "we are gonna make some rounds and look for him", and then they drove off in their patrol car and bike, the fucking audacity, they pretty much admitted straight to my face that they would do Jack shit about it since the robber didn't manage to get anything pricey out of me!

The only good thing out of all that was that the old guys invited me to a couple of beers

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Oh damn then they just got plainly worse

It was a Samsung Galaxy, I like to play on my phone, so it has always been android for me, I saw it more of an updated gameboy rather than a phone, I had installed an emulator for Nintendo DS, Hearthstone, this puzzle game called Eterna, shooter i don't think it was Call of Duty, this was before it came out on mobile I think, in fact the two things I always care the most with phones is performance and disk space, i have never cared about the camera despite everyone always trying to make that the main thing

You can imagine that as a gamer I am also not all that worried about women not being interested, ironically I managed to meet a couple of girls after installing Pokemon Go, so you know, it is nice to know that you don't have to go with the popular trends just avoid being maidenless, of course this means less options, but what you do end up finding will fill more closer to you

I agree fighting a robber is not worth the risk, the sensible option is to cooperate, which brings me to a different anecdote

I have been robbed at gun point before, this was like 5 years ago, so one year before the pandemic, it was super scary, I was going to downtown looking for a cheap technician to repair my laptop, so on my wait out I was ambushed by a guy on a motorcycle with a revolver, told me to throw him my backpack (probably thinking that I still had my laptop inside)

Then I did the gustiest shit I have done in my life

I bargained! That's right I said "look man at least let me get my phone out", the guy must have been panicking because he agreed, I opened my bag took my phone out and then threw him the backpack, then stepped back, of course after he took my backpack he demanded me to threw my phone too, which I did except that I slid it across the street so that it landed ahead of him, so he would have to get off from the bike entirely or drive a bit ahead in order to get my phone

In the middle of all this a group of old men that were drinking at a bar (this was on a Friday 2 PM) noticed that I was being robbed and they started making noise, the guy aims at them and shoots once, and then drives off with my backpack unable to steal my phone or wallet which was probably his next target

I am kind of pumping with adrenaline, so I take my phone and go running to check on the old men luckily the bullet missed or it was a blank shot, the bartender calls the police, which arrives a whole damn hour late! I swear they are never around when you need them and when they are around they are an inconvenience, I give them the details of what happened, and this was the most frustrating part of the whole event

They arrived insisting before hand that the guy who robbed me was a black teenager, when everyone there keep telling them it was a fat white middle aged man wearing casual office clothes, so the bastards from the start where already planning to pin down the crime on some random kid

Then when they asked me about what was taken, the moment they learned that my backpack only had a portable battery, and some client's documents, they immediately lost interest in the case "oh that guy just wasted his time, he probably threw your backpack on some trashcan or corner already", "we are gonna make some rounds and look for him", and then they drove off in their patrol car and bike, the fucking audacity, they pretty much admitted straight to my face that they would do Jack shit about it since the robber didn't manage to get anything pricey out of me!

The only good thing out of all that was that the old guys invited me to a couple of beers
Top of the line iPhone/Samsung I wouldn't fight for it but instead beg and ugly cry like a 16th century peasant. Glad to hear you kept your phone haha

Dex-chan lover

I'm sorry that happened to you but I'm super tickled by how well the fake moustache worked in this scheme? LOL

Dex-chan lover
I'm sorry that happened to you but I'm super tickled by how well the fake moustache worked in this scheme? LOL
Still to this day i am so salty about it, i know it sounds hilarious but man... like, i have no words

Top of the line iPhone/Samsung I wouldn't fight for it but instead beg and ugly cry like a 16th century peasant. Glad to hear you kept your phone haha
I would never fight, bargain sure, try to minimize the damage, but that's as far as i could go, and even that is risky

I suspect that the guy that robbed me had a fake gun, or at least didn't had real bullets (or had bad aim), so in that sense i was lucky, but, you don't know what would rub a robber the wrong way, so anything off the script in their heads, may end wit them shooting or stabbing, and you know that guy did shoot once, is just that he didn't anyone

As i see it, in those situations, unless for some reason you are also packing heat (and even then, is it worth it, getting into a gun fight? i don't know i don't own guns, but i know people who does and they all say that at one point it is more stress than safety), you just gotta accept that you are getting robbed, and try to keep yourself from physical harm, and if you can maybe try to save your documents and other details

While i was waiting for the police with the old men, they keep asking me what i was gonna do if they hadn't started shouting, and i told them that i was planning to emptying my wallet, and just hand him the money, since recovering IDs is always a pain in the ass, and thinking back, before throwing my phone i should have taken off its sim card, you know keep things that are essentially to me, but pretty much useless trash to a common thief

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread