One Day Outing Foreman - Vol. 18 Ch. 135 - Sincere

Dex-chan lover
Mackenyu is Sonny Chiba's kid who he had when he was 57.

From wiki:
He learned horseback riding and Yabusame at the age of 7. He practiced Kyokushin Karate since he was eight years old, and he was placed third at the US kyokushin Karate Nationals in middle school. In high school he did gymnastics, water polo, and wrestling, becoming the school representative for the latter. He was also into music, playing piano since he was 10 years old, and later participated in the brass band of his high school in Beverly Hills, playing saxophone, and flute.

He also speaks fluent JP+Eng and is spearheading the Live-action Anime adaptions where he does at least one a year.

There's authentic Chinese food in Japan, and then there's a sort of Chinese-Japanese fusion which is made using JP ingredients and is made a certain way similar to their cuisine. One example is their fried rice which they enjoy crumbly with less oil, while Chinese fried rice can get very greasy with a truckload of MSG added in (just the way I like it). JP Mapo tofu is milder and sweeter, using miso and mirin while China uses spicy Sichuan sauce
We do it here in the west as well. Orange Chicken and General Tso's chicken were made in the US. We also have California Rolls, and sushi with avacado, cucumber, carrots, imitation crab, etc. in lieu of seafood meat.

Dex-chan lover
Woah is this chapter a callback to Ootsuki going to eat crab rice of his youth and leaving a lackluster review? :D
I dunno whether I could enjoy myself with a service like that, no matter how good the food is...

Dex-chan lover
back to back chapters where miyamoto takes off his sunglasses... i dunno if my heart can take it :x

JP Mapo tofu is milder and sweeter, using miso and mirin while China uses spicy Sichuan sauce
aha, this answers a big mystery for me! i had basically never once encountered spicy food in japan, but at the same time, i always saw mapo tofu mentioned in anime and such as if it was a common dish. i love mapo tofu and order it a lot at chinese restaurants here, but never once has it not been spicy. felt like these two pieces of information were in constant conflict lol.

Dex-chan lover
I've heard many times that Japanese online review sites for restos place a lot of emphasis on service, to the point where a place where the owner isn't friendly will get a bad rating no matter how good the food is. Interesting to see it in practice.
Personally I don't care that much about unfriendly service as long as I'm not being outright mistreated and ignored– I'm used to seeing tasty restos from my culture in my area get terrible reviews because the auntie running the joint is too busy to be bubbly to every customer lol

Fri

Supporter
back to back chapters where miyamoto takes off his sunglasses... i dunno if my heart can take it :x

aha, this answers a big mystery for me! i had basically never once encountered spicy food in japan, but at the same time, i always saw mapo tofu mentioned in anime and such as if it was a common dish. i love mapo tofu and order it a lot at chinese restaurants here, but never once has it not been spicy. felt like these two pieces of information were in constant conflict lol.
At least it's not CIA's mapo tofu (CIA here refers to Culinary Institute of America), which has nothing to do with mapo tofu at all for me. It's like saying you're making fish and chips but use calamari instead of fish (they're both seafood, so it's the same, right?) and tortilla chips instead of fries (they're both chips, so it counts, right? And the ingredients are breaded and deep-fried, so it's basically fish and chips, it's all the same)

Dex-chan lover
At least it's not CIA's mapo tofu (CIA here refers to Culinary Institute of America), which has nothing to do with mapo tofu at all for me. It's like saying you're making fish and chips but use calamari instead of fish (they're both seafood, so it's the same, right?) and tortilla chips instead of fries (they're both chips, so it counts, right? And the ingredients are breaded and deep-fried, so it's basically fish and chips, it's all the same)

This is so bizarre... why even call it mapo tofu at that point? Feels like a major typo lol.

Dex-chan lover
A sudden compliment from someone you didn't like... it's more jarring than a hook to the jaw from outside your vision.
This is an example of the middle-aged asian ladies rizzing you up. They did this all the time with me at the Korean sushi place near the station when I was in high school. She called me handsome every time I bought the $7 for 3 rolls at the end of the day and I'm still running off that high years later

Dex-chan lover
Woah is this chapter a callback to Ootsuki going to eat crab rice of his youth and leaving a lackluster review? :D
I dunno whether I could enjoy myself with a service like that, no matter how good the food is...
I've heard many times that Japanese online review sites for restos place a lot of emphasis on service, to the point where a place where the owner isn't friendly will get a bad rating no matter how good the food is. Interesting to see it in practice.
Personally I don't care that much about unfriendly service as long as I'm not being outright mistreated and ignored– I'm used to seeing tasty restos from my culture in my area get terrible reviews because the auntie running the joint is too busy to be bubbly to every customer lol
Good catch, eh. Ever since they've turned food review sites into mini-social media platforms, where younger people and millennials use it to share reviews and to also show everyone where they've been.

The Japanese use a sliding scale of 3-4.5 stars. 3 stars is bare minimum expectations met and 4.5 is incredible, amazing, perfect. Best they've ever had.
They think no-one deserves 5-stars and no-one should go lower than 3 as some sort of courtesy, but nowadays as western sensibilities creep in they've learned to review-bomb places with 0-stars. It doesn't change the score because most sites filter out the 0/1-star reviews but they are left up there and visible to other people which helps if the place is actually bad.

Dex-chan lover

Do they have Pepper Lunch in Toronto? I'm sure they have it in Richmond. It's a global chain of hot Japanese curry and salty/pepper dishes. I could handle the 'spicy' menu items when I was younger no sweat. I think they deliberately make everything mild as a default so their food can be eaten by everyone if people take their families.
It was kind of a culture shock for me to learn that the Japanese have curries which don't even use spices.

Brando voice: my boy...look what they did to my boy...

Dex-chan lover
Do they have Pepper Lunch in Toronto? I'm sure they have it in Richmond.
Ahh, according to Wikipedia there aren't any in Canada :( I'd seen locations of this in Japan but I'd never tried it. The Japanese culture of "spicy" really is kinda surreal. My favorite was trying CoCo curry's "-1 spice" option, which adds more sweetness lol.

Users who are viewing this thread