One Day Outing Foreman - Vol. 3 Ch. 23 - New Year's Eve

Dex-chan lover
Everyone get in line for your prison showers: "Here you go!"

The new character Yanauchi-san seems to be the black suit who's in charge of the cafeteria. His speciality "juwari soba" is made of 100% buckwheat compared to regular flour-based soba, giving it a more premium eating experience with an either a grainy or smooth texture and stronger, earthen flavor. The processes in making it is more complex than normal soba so the prices will reflect the craftsmanship accordingly.

10warisoba.jpg

TL commentary:
Ootsuki addresses Numakawa and Isawa with omae. To strangers, saying omae is a major faux pas which could get you beat up, but amongst peers, family and workmates it serves a different function. In my opinion, it's a term of endearment where it sets the positional hierarchy between two people. The best way I can describe it is people in Yakuza films saying it, where an underboss refers to his followers as omae. They are one big mafia family and the boss cares about them, but they maintain the line between boss-follower and he commands respect from them every time he says it.
Likewise, Numakawa and Isawa never speak to the Foreman with "anata" or "kimi". It's always just "Foreman".

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Sometimes while reading these spinoffs, I wonder if Kaiji missed out on making friends with all the villains. These chapters really make living in undergound hell seem kinda fun. Also holy crap that amount of green onion would make my stomach hurt, lol. Thanks for the new chapter!

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Sometimes while reading these spinoffs, I wonder if Kaiji missed out on making friends with all the villains. These chapters really make living in undergound hell seem kinda fun. Also holy crap that amount of green onion would make my stomach hurt, lol. Thanks for the new chapter!
You know, I think Kaiji's fate is to escape the underground and move onto much bigger gambles. Ootsuki seems to be content with the status quo of his life down there. He's content with the little luxuries in life. Kaiji becomes friends with him and he might never leave haha

Dex-chan lover
You know, I think Kaiji's fate is to escape the underground and move onto much bigger gambles. Ootsuki seems to be content with the status quo of his life down there. He's content with the little luxuries in life. Kaiji becomes friends with him and he might never leave haha
True, haha. We've seen that Kaiji doesn't ever seem satisfied, no matter how much he's won. Guess that's why he's a gambling addict, while for Ootsuki the games are just a means to indulge. Still, I can almost imagine them sharing a meal at a restaurant and bonding over the experience (under different circumstances).

Dex-chan lover
I dunno, as endearing and relatable Ootsuki is in this spinoff... he is a really scummy guy. Ripping off the other workers with overpriced indulgences and rigged gambles... I dunno if Kaiji could ever really bro down with a guy like that.

Users who are viewing this thread