One Day Outing Foreman - Vol. 4 Ch. 26 - High and Low

Dex-chan lover
Chapter title: 高低 High and Low referring to the hurdles which Ootsuki designates to each restaurant according to his expectations of it.

On page 3 Ootsuki describes the fried rice to be パラパラしてて which means that it's loose and crumbly. I thought he meant that it was a bad thing because personally my favorite type of fried rice is the thick and greasy Thai style, but from my research it seems that the Japanese prefer it to be light, less oily and sticky, and the grains to be loose.

The number on his track-bib is 456 which is the biggest winning roll in chinchiro. The manga has easter eggs like these everywhere ^^

TL commentary:
Japanese is filled with a lot of "False friend" words. In this chapter the running gag is that Ootsuki has to "clear a hurdle" ハードルを跳び立つ/越えて but in English I think the "set the bar high/low" is more accurate because we're dealing with expectations not obstacles. In the end I had to use hurdle because they've included several panels of hurdles already. I find translating to be something where you have to battle with a lot of compromises. Especially in manga, this manga even, with these tiny and slim narration boxes where I can't use the words I want because they won't fit.

Other examples of false friends are 'veranda' which is a roofed, open-air porch connected to your house usually on the ground floor. ベランダ in Japanese is a balcony on an apartment, which we'll encounter in chapter 34+35. ジュース is another one. It usually refers to soft-drink/soda but it baits a lot of newer learners into thinking it's fruit juice. You're translating a school manga and someone says ジュースを買ってよ they probably want a coke. Not saying that kids don't drink fruit juice though...but given the choice, it's a coke.

~~~~~~~

中華そば Chinese-style soba ramen
csoba7079.JPG

チャーハン Fried rice
46f17f301d97647a326d9ef4e2cd2497.jpeg

ミルクレープ Mille Crepe
BFV8055_Black__White_Mille_Crepe-Thumb.jpg

サザエのつぼ焼き Grilled horned turban
afa57b7f99c71452c2d908c8c72792163e33f67a.67.9.3.3.jpg

菜の花和え物 Rapeseed blossoms, miso dressing
i=https%253A%252F%252Fimage.excite.co.jp%252Fjp%252Ferecipe%252Frecipe%252Fb%252Fa%252Fba903533188b1041da9ec97c2a17f5df%252Ffdf32ef21447c278421cd06b3e17f2b1.jpeg&small=430&quality=0&type=jpeg

カモ肉たたき Tenderized Roast Duck
images

ふわとろ親子丼 'Fuwatoro Oyakodon'
img_mv.jpg.webp

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Chapter title: 高低 High and Low referring to the hurdles which Ootsuki designates to each restaurant according to his expectations of it.

On page 3 Ootsuki describes the fried rice to be パラパラしてて which means that it's loose and crumbly. I thought he meant that it was a bad thing because personally my favorite type of fried rice is the thick and greasy Thai style, but from my research it seems that the Japanese prefer it to be light, less oily and sticky, and the grains to be loose.

The number on his track-bib is 456 which is the biggest winning roll in chinchiro. The manga has easter eggs like these everywhere ^^

TL commentary:
Japanese is filled with a lot of "False friend" words. In this chapter the running gag is that Ootsuki has to "clear a hurdle" ハードルを跳び立つ/越えて but in English I think the "set the bar high/low" is more accurate because we're dealing with expectations not obstacles. In the end I had to use hurdle because they've included several panels of hurdles already. I find translating to be something where you have to battle with a lot of compromises. Especially in manga, this manga even, with these tiny and slim narration boxes where I can't use the words I want because they won't fit.

Other examples of false friends are 'veranda' which is a roofed, open-air porch connected to your house usually on the ground floor. ベランダ in Japanese is a balcony on an apartment, which we'll encounter in chapter 34+35. ジュース is another one. It usually refers to soft-drink/soda but it baits a lot of newer learners into thinking it's fruit juice. You're translating a school manga and someone says ジュースを買ってよ they probably want a coke. Not saying that kids don't drink fruit juice though...but given the choice, it's a coke.

~~~~~~~

csoba7079.JPG

チャーハン Fried rice

ミルクレープ Mille Crepe

i=https%253A%252F%252Fimage.excite.co.jp%252Fjp%252Ferecipe%252Frecipe%252Fb%252Fa%252Fba903533188b1041da9ec97c2a17f5df%252Ffdf32ef21447c278421cd06b3e17f2b1.jpeg&small=430&quality=0&type=jpeg

images

img_mv.jpg.webp
Goddamn, these food pics are making ME want to go out on a one day outing!

Dex-chan lover

TL commentary:

~~~~~~~

csoba7079.JPG

チャーハン Fried rice

ミルクレープ Mille Crepe

images

img_mv.jpg.webp
Was getting ready to go to sleep after brushing my teeth, and saw an update of the foreman adventures, so i knew i was gonna face a personal hurdle i would have to pass, finish the chapter, feeling good about myself, go to the comments

And what do i find a bunch of delicious photos of appetizing food, the bar is raised at the last moment, and now i am craving food

Even when you think you are safe, you aren't!

Dex-chan lover
Wow, you are just CHURNING out these chapters, we're the ones eating good tonight!
Dang, this chapter was relatable imo. It can be really disappointing when your precious day off is spent on mediocre (and expensive) food, so you end up not risking new experiences. But mmmm that chicken though...

Dex-chan lover
Another super appetizing chapter 🤤

I've never had turban before, even seeking out Japanese delicacies in Japan I never encountered it. Looks delicious~

Users who are viewing this thread