One Day Outing Foreman - Vol. 9 Ch. 64 - Catching Fish

Dex-chan lover
On pg.15, they're watching a news report where someone says that they'll "pay for their taxi fare". I think this is in reference to a pick-up tactic used in around 2018 where men would offer to pay for a woman's taxi ride home, and he'll accompany her in the taxi but when she gets home he'll insist that she return the favor with... ... ...
On pg.16, Foreman suggests that they let the fish sleep overnight so that it really brings out the flavor. This is a running gag in the series where he tries to have him and the boys stay over at Kimura's (so they don't have to spend money on a...cheap business hotel!)

All this fishing reminds me of a funny story i'd like to tell. One of the first Japanese movies I remember watching was on TV. In my country, there were only 5 channels when I was a kid, and there was this channel which showed world movies every night. The 80s and 90s movies in Japan had gratuitous amounts of softcore put into normal movies, and I guess some graphic violence to boot. Anyway, this one time I was watching a Japanese movie on that channel, and in the beginning there was a man whose hobby was that he went out fishing late at night and his wife stays home. One day he gets a letter saying that she's unfaithful, so on a fishing night he goes out to his fishing spot and returns home early to find that his wife is doin' the thang with another dude so he stabs them both to death and turns himself in. My mom was in the room at the time so she was like, "Nope shut this off and go to bed". Half an hour later I snuck back out and watched it to see more oppai but it seems that the oppai quota had been filled by then. I forgot what happened in that movie...he finds an eel in jail and raises it and then takes it with him when he gets free, and then meets a bunch of new friends. I've looked long and hard for that movie and only recently found out the name of it. It was called "The Eel".
Ah, of course it was.

Dex-chan lover
On pg.15, they're watching a news report where someone says that they'll "pay for their taxi fare". I think this is in reference to a pick-up tactic used in around 2018 where men would offer to pay for a woman's taxi ride home, and he'll accompany her in the taxi but when she gets home he'll insist that she return the favor with... ... ...
On pg.16, Foreman suggests that they let the fish sleep overnight so that it really brings out the flavor. This is a running gag in the series where he tries to have him and the boys stay over at Kimura's (so they don't have to spend money on a...cheap business hotel!)

All this fishing reminds me of a funny story i'd like to tell. One of the first Japanese movies I remember watching was on TV. In my country, there were only 5 channels when I was a kid, and there was this channel which showed world movies every night. The 80s and 90s movies in Japan had gratuitous amounts of softcore put into normal movies, and I guess some graphic violence to boot. Anyway, this one time I was watching a Japanese movie on that channel, and in the beginning there was a man whose hobby was that he went out fishing late at night and his wife stays home. One day he gets a letter saying that she's unfaithful, so on a fishing night he goes out to his fishing spot and returns home early to find that his wife is doin' the thang with another dude so he stabs them both to death and turns himself in. My mom was in the room at the time so she was like, "Nope shut this off and go to bed". Half an hour later I snuck back out and watched it to see more oppai but it seems that the oppai quota had been filled by then. I forgot what happened in that movie...he finds an eel in jail and raises it and then takes it with him when he gets free, and then meets a bunch of new friends. I've looked long and hard for that movie and only recently found out the name of it. It was called "The Eel".
Ah, of course it was.
He adopts and eel he meets in prison after he stabs his wife for cheating on him? no way that's a real movie

Oh shit, it is a real movie! and from a celebrated novelist too, what the hell :dogkek:

Dex-chan lover

Ah, of course it was.
Oh my god what a plot ._. nothing less to be expected of late-night TV, that's when they air childhood trauma material :D

You just unlocked a memory of me finding the book "Froth on the daydream" by Boris Vian as a kid, immediately getting traumatized by the first few pages where an eel is beheaded and then by the rest of the book. It's a weird one, highly recommend, there's a piano in it that mixes drinks depending on the music you play.

What a way to open the chapter - fishing with the boiz! They really know their audience well huh, the whole time I was waiting to see what will be cooked with that catch. Isawa and Numakawa being eepy from spicy marinade after a day at sea is so cute!

Love how from a "the brawn of the trio" in Kaiji here Isawa seems to be getting more and more layers to his personality. A good fisherman and an awesome sport who prioritizes his friends enjoying his hobby rather than own desires, ammonite appreciator, and is a big child at heart. Let's all love Isawa.

Dex-chan lover
Eel Posting: You just unlocked a memory of me finding the book "Froth on the daydream" by Boris Vian as a kid, immediately getting traumatized by the first few pages where an eel is beheaded and then by the rest of the book. It's a weird one, highly recommend, there's a piano in it that mixes drinks depending on the music you play.
Hah, yeah that sounds in line with what I'd expect authors on the good stuff would think up. Stephen King would smoke weed, Xanax and drink mouthwash before writing his novels.

Double-page supporter
Very relatable how sometimes unreliable people just go full geek and become the room's teacher... and then the subject changes and they start saying dumb stuff again. I thought Numakawa was literally me, but maybe I'm Isawa.

This is a running gag in the series where he tries to have him and the boys stay over at Kimura's (so they don't have to spend money on a...cheap business hotel!)
Didn't catch that. He's still sneaky, uh...

My mom was in the room at the time so she was like, "Nope shut this off and go to bed".
Mom did nothing wrong.

Let's all love Isawa.
I find it hard to dislike any of them, they have a good amount of layers to them.

Double-page supporter
JP manga revolving around old dudes always make fishing seem like the world's best hobby. I wanna get into it lol
I forgot what happened in that movie...he finds an eel in jail and raises it and then takes it with him when he gets free, and then meets a bunch of new friends. I've looked long and hard for that movie and only recently found out the name of it. It was called "The Eel".
Ah, of course it was.
Shipping this guy with the guy from The Lobster

Users who are viewing this thread