Onimushi - Vol. 2 Ch. 19 - Twilight of temptation

Double-page supporter
Thank you for the translation♥️
But it's really surreal to see Baki there since that series is still on going.

Group Leader
Thank you for the translation♥️
But it's really surreal to see Baki there since that series is still on going.
well, that was the first series of Baki (42 volumes). There are 6 main series so far, plus some side stories/spin-offs. At the time Baki was already popular in Japan, but not much in the rest of the world. In the last 10 years its popularity certainly exploded.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the chapter. Maname is going to ruin everything, isn't she.

Hiroshi Hirata was one of the biggest names in the gekiga movement, on par with the Goseki Kojima/Kazuo Koike duo. Some of his works available as scanlations on this very site are Chidaruma Kenpou Onorera ni Tsugu and Soregashi Kojiki ni Arazu which are both very good. IIRC he also made a manga adaptation of the excellent 1969 movie Goyokin starring Tatsuya Nakadai. Hideki Mori was the artist for Shin Kozure Ōkami.

I also recommend you check out more of Tezuka's gekiga works - he featured a lot of themes that we still find a bit taboo to talk about today, much more so during his time. The ones where he wrote about a furry disease, a shapeshifting woman and a gay priest (those are 3 separate titles obviously) were very memorable for me.

Group Leader
Thanks for the chapter. Maname is going to ruin everything, isn't she.

Well...Certainly she has various plans to survive at all costs...

Hiroshi Hirata was one of the biggest names in the gekiga movement, on par with the Goseki Kojima/Kazuo Koike duo. Some of his works available as scanlations on this very site are Chidaruma Kenpou Onorera ni Tsugu and Soregashi Kojiki ni Arazu which are both very good. IIRC he also made a manga adaptation of the excellent 1969 movie Goyokin starring Tatsuya Nakadai. Hideki Mori was the artist for Shin Kozure Ōkami.

Interesting.

I also recommend you check out more of Tezuka's gekiga works - he featured a lot of themes that we still find a bit taboo to talk about today, much more so during his time. The ones where he wrote about a furry disease, a shapeshifting woman and a gay priest (those are 3 separate titles obviously) were very memorable for me.

What are those manga? Maybe the first one was Vampire? And the third one MW, I guess?

Dex-chan lover
What are those manga? Maybe the first one was Vampire? And the third one MW, I guess?
First one is Ode to Kirihito, second one is The Book of Human Insects, and the third one is MW, yeah. Tezuka's body of seinen work is kind of rarely discussed, perhaps because many of them remain obscure compared to his more mainstream work. I've read most of the ones that are available in English including The Crater, a collection of short stories. They're all worth checking out.

Users who are viewing this thread