Onimushi - Vol. 3 Ch. 33 - Reunion

Dex-chan lover
Shes gonna be worshipped as the new god priest or something.Get the rice planting, free manpower to fix the boat and finally steal the rice and sail away (dont worry shes a good sailor :kek: ).

Banned
I wonder if a japanese mainlander would speak a mutually intelligible language with those kinds of islanders at that time?
wouldn't they speak their own very distinct dialect from being isolated for a long time?

Group Leader
I wonder if a japanese mainlander would speak a mutually intelligible language with those kinds of islanders at that time?
wouldn't they speak their own very distinct dialect from being isolated for a long time?

Yeah, depending on how much time passed, it's possible that communication would have been rather difficult...But I think not impossible. I don't know if there are any real life examples. The only example I can think of is UK and the USA: american english has some minor differences from british english, but they were never isolated. I also think that in a small community language doesn't evolve too fast, so even after centuries it's basically still the same. On the other hand, how much japanese has changed in that same period? I have no idea...
I can say, for example, that italian has changed a lot in the last 700 years: it would be very difficult to have a conversation with Dante for example. Not impossible, of course, but still...

Obviously language barriers usually make a story rather boring, so in most cases one (or more) character either learn the language of the others very fast, or they can understand each other just fine since the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread