Option/setting to have the side nav guide closed by default [Rejected]

Status
Not open for further replies.
My use of the site is entirely looking at my followed page to see if any of my series have been updated.

The nav guide serves no purpose to me and personally any ui element that offsets the screen drives me crazy. (and by nav guide I mean the side menu that has the home, follows, titles, community, and mangdex categories with buttons to navigate the site)
I'm glad that unlike youtubes horrible design when the nav is collapsed it doesn't offset anything so cheers for that.

Anywho yeah I'd really appreciate some type of option to have the side nav guide collapsed by default I don't feel compulsed to immediately close it every time I open or refresh my follow page.

Upvote 0
Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
The sidebar is open by default because you can't really get around the site without it, and if we let people disable it they'd forget it existed and then complain the site navigation was shit. It's bad enough already with the reader sidebar toggle, this would be an order of magnitude worse.

The sidebar is open by default because you can't really get around the site without it, and if we let people disable it they'd forget it existed and then complain the site navigation was shit. It's bad enough already with the reader sidebar toggle, this would be an order of magnitude worse.
I'd imagine if a user went out of their way to go into the settings menu to find and turn on that setting they wouldn't be complaining.

But I mean can it at least remember the state the user had it in then on refresh or the like via cookies? I don't know why your team went with the sidebar instead of just having the navigation options at the header like the previous site version but it's honestly driving me insane feeling compulsed to close it multiple times a day when I check my followed series page. Like if I had the knowhow on how to make a script or something to automatically close it every time I opened the page I would.

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
instead of just having the navigation options at the header
Because vertical space is more valuable than horizontal space on 16:9 monitors, and because the vertical sidebar lets us list every option individually instead of requiring two clicks to drill down into the categories.

Because vertical space is more valuable than horizontal space on 16:9 monitors, and because the vertical sidebar lets us list every option individually instead of requiring two clicks to drill down into the categories.
Stuff being oriented better and not offset is more important than vertical space when considering the users imo, especially when you could associate the sections with their symbols and have drop down on hover for those sections. One click to get to the right place and takes up literally no vertical space than what the site already takes up by default.

Add on that currently like this forum when you aren't reading a chapter and scroll down you have both the header and sidebar taking up screen space when everything on the side bar could be moved to the header that's already there. Even if you needed to go double click for the symbols on the header like the notification icon is here for the drop down I can't imagine users navigating that much that it'd be a complained about issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread