Otoyomegatari - Vol. 11 Ch. 72 - Vows

Dex-chan lover
Henry might be my favourite character on all this. How much crap he has to grow through not just in a physical sense, but in a political and personal sense . I respect the hell out of him

And here I imagine
When he came back and asked for approval from his parents
It is not gonna be easy
Oh no..

Group Leader
Woa, how much I wish Mori-sensei would draw a kiss between them after the proposal!!! ?

Dex-chan lover
This will lead to tragedy.
Couldn't he just pay for a room for her to stay safe in Ankara? What the people on the way'll think and do seeing that nomad woman along with a foreigner?

Dex-chan lover
Wow! A signet ring is an even more significant gift than a watch!

The ring is the equivalent of giving one's hanko (The stamp the Japanese use by way of a signature.) For all the 'love never ending' symbolism that pastors like to use when talking about the ring in marriages, the significance of a ring is much more direct than that. Giving a ring gives that person the authority to act in the place of the giver. A ring's face, stamped onto wax, is the signature and approval of the family.

In the story of the Prodigal Son, the father restores his son to the family by giving him his mantle and ring. In the movie "Ben Hur", Hur is adopted by a Roman Senator, and shows this to another person by impressing the Senator's ring into a wax tablet. Henry Smith similarly carries a signet ring, a device specifically for affixing the seal of approval of his family, even though the written signature has, by then, supplanted the seal in common use. Giving her his ring symbolically gives her the same authority as a legitimate family member.

Group Leader
@Panino same, I'm getting the feeling that this entire journey will end in tears.

I hope I'm wrong.

Dex-chan lover
Henry is looking at an obvious disaster waiting to happen. A scholar such as himself should be able to notice the obviously oncoming tides of war, and realize that it is no time for traipsing around as a foreigner, especially when accompanied by a supposedly dead woman.
And you know what? I am inclined to believe he actually does know all that. My guess is, his family is the real reason he doesn't want to go back home. There's something he's hiding.

Dex-chan lover
@DanYHKim Thanks for bring this!

@RexNemorensis
I imagine that Smith comes from a traditional family, it's natural to expect that they want him to fit and conforms on a "traditional life". They probably also want to marry him to a "respectable" women eventually.
And yes, he knows the danger of war, even more reason for him to run back and get those photographs, but he could do this without bringing Talas along, this is just stupid. He know very well rent a room for her in Ankara with his friend watching her until he comes back.

People, Smith's friend in Ankara straight up said that he wouldn't help Smith take care of Talas, and Smith by himself is nearly penniless. So what makes you all think that Smith has the ability to put her up in Ankara for 6+ months? Talas going with them is really the only viable option, and its not like she isn't pretty used to it by now.

Also, I think the signet is going to be very important, even more so than the people pointing out its significance in Japanese culture. A signet is proof of identity. Should something happen to Smith, Talas has proof that she's his wife, making his family honor bound to provide for his widow to a certain extent. Also, if they have kids that signet can prove up inheritance.

To me, Smith is like a child in an adult body or more aptly, an immature young adult. He cares more about his curiosity than his responsibilities. That's who he is throughout the story. There's the politically correct word where Smith labels it "research" and in a sense it is true for what he's doing, but from the story, it feels like he's always doing research in service of his curiosity, rather than vice versa. And honestly? Is it important to write down the history and culture of a people? Yes, but important enough to risk your life? No. This isn't some holy grail revelation in what's Smith doing. Imo, it's honestly a very poor case of someone trying to risk his life for it. But heck, without Smith, there wouldn't be an exposition for this story.

But anyways, the mangaka mostly end up with happy endings though, so I suspect this is just some roundabout drama to spice up the story, which I think, is a good time for it as the story has been getting a tad stale (in terms of story development).

@moredrowsy While I do agree with your assessment of Smiths personality and attitude I would say that you're dead wrong about his "life-risk" valuation and completely missing the point of the dialogue (of the decision). Outside the frameworks of religion and such, what dictates the value/worth of a life? Who dictates what is important or what is not? Mr. Smith obviously (and one might call it foolishly) values his research/journey higher than the risk involved (of what he's seemingly aware of) however only oneself can judge what is important or not, even if it might seem irrational or inefficient etc. "If you say its important then its important to You".

In the end I find that looking at the matter from a contextual and purpose-driven perspective helps the understanding. Do I relate to "adrenaline-junkies" that jumps at incredible dangerous areas in a wingsuit, ofc not, yet it is something that is deemed important enough for them to do despite the risks. If you haven't noticed several people involved in the story takes "huge risks", yet its just a part of their nature.

tldr: Only the individual decides what value your decision/action has for oneself while the rest of us can only ponder on why that decision/action occured.

**And we can't do that without in-depth understanding of the said individual or similar historic data.

Dex-chan lover
@moredrowsy
Disagree completely.
Instead of immature he is more adventurous, and dedicated to his "job". His curiosity is a good and valuable quality, allows him to make his research somewhat unbiased instead of prejudiced.

@SapphireDemon
Even so, can't cost much to pay for a simple room for her, even is his fried is adamant in not helping. The biggest problem would be the locals wondering what and why a nomad woman is doing alone there (without his husband or male relative). But they don't touch this.

Dex-chan lover
@Panino

Henry Smith described himself as the 'third son', or something like that. There's kind of a saying: "first the heir, then the spare, and then the officer", to describe how the sons of a noble house are to be appointed. As such, the youngest son could well be free to live as an academic. For all we know, he is rightly addressed as "Doctor Smith", with a PhD in anthropology, history, or linguistics.

I think that being married well is not a big concern for his family, as long as he stays out of serious family affairs, and contents himself with a small stipend.

Dex-chan lover
Dont turn him down, you fool. This might be the key to keeping him from going back.
I'm a little disappointed in the guide. I would expect him to have a more realistic view of Smith marrying Talas.
But what Smith is doing is how Europeans explored the other continents: I agree with the assessment that as a young adult his family probably cares about him and funds him, but leaves him to his own devices mostly and he chooses to use those funds to rough it out in Asia and write out what he finds there. Just like others have done before him. These are the origins of the science of anthropology.

Users who are viewing this thread