Otoyomegatari - Vol. 12 Ch. 86.5

Dex-chan lover
Considering how much different same-sex bond culture has influenced the modern Japanese mentality, it surprises me that the author finds a similar culture in Persia surprising. However, even the Japanese are still far from Ancient Greece in this regard :D.

Dex-chan lover
Hrmmm…
I could be wrong, but I think beards in Islam are for married men. But I don’t think it’s forbidden to have one.

Much like in traditional Judaism where women cover their hair after marriage. Jewish men and boys can NEVER shave. (The interpretation of “shave” varies based on community. I won’t get into it)

Dex-chan lover
Hrmmm…
I could be wrong, but I think beards in Islam are for married men. But I don’t think it’s forbidden to have one.

Much like in traditional Judaism where women cover their hair after marriage. Jewish men and boys can NEVER shave. (The interpretation of “shave” varies based on community. I won’t get into it)
I don't know how it is in modern Muslim communities now, but previously young boys were not supposed to shave until they grew their first beard and subsequently shave it off as a kind of ritual of initiation and coming of age. Islam, like Judaism, condemns shaving beards, perceiving it as a rejection of masculinity and a desire to look feminine. As in many Christian communities before, for example, in Kievan Rus and Russia, for a very long time shaving beards was perceived as gay coming out and was highly condemned. When Yuri Dolgoruky began to shave smoothly or when Peter the Great forbade nobles to wear beards, it was a huge shock to those around him.

I don't know how it is in modern Muslim communities now, but previously young boys were not supposed to shave until they grew their first beard and subsequently shave it off as a kind of ritual of initiation and coming of age. Islam, like Judaism, condemns shaving beards, perceiving it as a rejection of masculinity and a desire to look feminine.
That's not true at all? In Islam growing beards is encouraged and many do. It's not something you have to do though. It doesn't have anything to do with looking feminine or masculine. The Muslims without beards are much much more than the Muslims who grow beards. It's thought of as good to grow but not bad to shave it. Source: I'm Muslim.

Dex-chan lover
That's not true at all? In Islam growing beards is encouraged and many do. It's not something you have to do though. It doesn't have anything to do with looking feminine or masculine. The Muslims without beards are much much more than the Muslims who grow beards. It's thought of as good to grow but not bad to shave it. Source: I'm Muslim.
That’s why I say “I don’t know how it is in modern Muslim communities,” because I’m talking about original traditions - "Shaving the beard is Haram based on obligatory precaution, and this includes the hair that grows on the sides of the face. However, there is no problem in shaving the hair that grows on the cheeks and the necks". Many of the originally unshakable rules of the Abrahamic religions are now preserved only among the Orthodox believers, which is why I mentioned how the Orthodox used to perceive shaving the beard as an implication of homosexuality.

You will also have no problem finding millions of completely shaven Jews, which does not change the fact that the Torah prohibits shaving the beard. Source: I'm half-Jew.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I don't know how it is in modern Muslim communities now, but previously young boys were not supposed to shave until they grew their first beard and subsequently shave it off as a kind of ritual of initiation and coming of age. Islam, like Judaism, condemns shaving beards, perceiving it as a rejection of masculinity and a desire to look feminine. As in many Christian communities before, for example, in Kievan Rus and Russia, for a very long time shaving beards was perceived as gay coming out and was highly condemned. When Yuri Dolgoruky began to shave smoothly or when Peter the Great forbade nobles to wear beards, it was a huge shock to those around him.
Well, in Judaism the beard and peyos thing is seen as a thing you do because the bible says not to do it. That’s all. Same with circumcision.
There are various opinions as to what it’s about (one Jew, two opinions, so they say. I say “show up to the study session with 2 opinions, leave it with 5”).

Lotta Judaism stuff is about being different or forcing you to think about being Jewish. See also: tzitzis (which I wear sometimes, as a modern woman).
Yarmulkes aren’t even a commandment, but they’re traditional, and tradition is considered normative. Traditions vary by community, of course.
We’re weird. We’re commanded to be weird (“do not take on the ways of the other nations”). I love being weird.

Dex-chan lover
Neat!
Cool to know. Must be a community tradition thing that varies. It’s a thing among the large Somalian community in The Twin Cities.

Dex-chan lover
Well, in Judaism the beard and peyos thing is seen as a thing you do because the bible says not to do it. That’s all. Same with circumcision.
There are various opinions as to what it’s about (one Jew, two opinions, so they say. I say “show up to the study session with 2 opinions, leave it with 5”).

Lotta Judaism stuff is about being different or forcing you to think about being Jewish. See also: tzitzis (which I wear sometimes, as a modern woman).
Yarmulkes aren’t even a commandment, but they’re traditional, and tradition is considered normative. Traditions vary by community, of course.
We’re weird. We’re commanded to be weird (“do not take on the ways of the other nations”). I love being weird.
Modern secular communities, especially in first world countries, indeed are quite different from what you might call Orthodox Judaism or Islam. For example, how Pakistani Islam and the life of the Pakistani diaspora in general is shown by some “Kamala Khan” and how people live in Pakistan itself. I would not be surprised if my interlocutor above belongs to the Muslim community of the United States or one of the countries of South Asia, which are far from orthodox Arab Islam also for ethnic reasons.

As for us, this was most likely done to preserve uniqueness and avoid assimilation while living in other countries after the destruction of the Temple. Tolkien at one time very well noticed this feature of the Jewish mentality when he portrayed the dwarves in The Hobbit as a people who were scattered around the world, but who still retain their uniqueness and live the dream of one day returning to their homeland and reclaiming their home.

But my father was an Orthodox Christian and I was born and raised in one of the most Christian countries in the world, so I spent most of my life trying to be more European than Europeans rather than trying to preserve my Jewish traditions. For this reason, I have always been intrigued by how people in the USA or Canada preserve their traditions, often having not 2-3 nationalities like me, but often more than 5-6.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Modern secular communities, especially in first world countries, indeed are quite different from what you might call Orthodox Judaism …
I’m Jewish enough to have a bookshelf of stuff. Like 27 siddurim tryna find one that works for me I like Sefard or basic Orthodox, but can get down with Lev Shalem. Converted Conservative (wish it were Orthodox. There are queer-friendly Frum communities out there. If I hadn’t met my wife I’d be in one, doing whatever necessary to join one. A simple, orderly, semi-insular life? Yes, plz), don’t practice as hard as I used to, but I am typing this on my Artscroll Digital Library iPad lol.

it’s early, but happy Tu b’Shevat

Dex-chan lover
I’m Jewish enough to have a bookshelf of stuff. Like 27 siddurim tryna find one that works for me I like Sefard or basic Orthodox, but can get down with Lev Shalem. Converted Conservative (wish it were Orthodox. There are queer-friendly Frum communities out there. If I hadn’t met my wife I’d be in one, doing whatever necessary to join one. A simple, orderly, semi-insular life? Yes, plz), don’t practice as hard as I used to, but I am typing this on my Artscroll Digital Library iPad lol.

it’s early, but happy Tu b’Shevat
I apologize in advance for a possibly indiscreet question, are you a religious queer person? I've always found many religions to be quite unfair to queer people, so I've always been intrigued by people whose religious faith transcended that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread