Overgeared

Dex-chan lover
i read the webnovel and it just goes on and on for a thousand chapters and more and nothing changes. also too much korean nationalism to the point of cringe.

Also, what is with the translation of the skill "Survival"? Isn't it supposed to be "One who became a legend"?

This is what it should have said:

"[A legend doesn't die easily. You can resist all attacks for 5 seconds with a minimum of health.]"

Dex-chan lover
As always with these, I like the leveling and gaming the system, but dislike the real world parts... Not to mention another version of a-hole protagonist that you’re supposed to like anyway. If this a play on saying all gamers are antisocial NEETS? I’d be insulted if I were a gamer...

I thought this would be better, but I’ll probably leave it on the might read list.

@Ooferdoofer I plan to read the webnovel but I don't know if its worth it? Cause its like 1000+ chapters. I started reading the webnovel of "the second coming of gluttony" and I found it awesome! I hope its kinda like that.

@PuddingLord As someone who is caught up (for the english translations on wuxiaworld at least) with both novels, they are pretty different. SCOG carries a much more mature tone throughout. While they certainly have plenty of similarities and are both plenty fun to read, it's the difference between a seinen and shounen, lining up with what their adaptations are tagged on here.

In Overgeared, the game is at the center of everyone's world, even for people that don't play the game eventually. It's insanely popular, and so there are billions who are obsessed with being the best. There's a competitive gaming atmosphere, and it could be argued that the game is taken a bit too seriously (though maybe not considering how wealthy the top players are). The characters are celebrities (many chapters describe web forums and news broadcasts discussing top player actions), and while the main character experiences significant character growth from being an unlikable douche into a pretty decent guy as others have said, the focus of the novel isn't the character. It's the game.
That's how there are so many chapters, because the author can just keep writing new scenarios for the game, and the story can essentially continue into perpetuity. Hell, I've seen chapters almost entirely dedicated to item or title effects. Much more heavy on the game elements, less serious in nature, and more about the power of friendship. Still fun overall, though.

On the other hand with SCOG, while the main stage is of course the other world, the story is ultimately about the growth of the MC. It paints an at times uncomfortably realistic portrait of his failings as a person, and focuses on the varying contrasts between his current self, his prior self, his past-future self, and the world around him. It also touches on other themes that would never see the light of day in Overgeared due to being too mature or serious for the nature of that story. Finally, while the game elements are certainly heavily incorporated into SCOG, it cannot compare to how they are incorporated into Overgeared. I mean the crux of Overgeared is in the title: the MC makes equipment that's busted as fuck and uses it to reduce or widen the gap between himself and others. It's about the items, and subsequently about the game at the end of the day. The same cannot be said for SCOG.

My longest post ever on this site by far, but I've been reading Overgeared for what feels like years now, and SCOG for about a year as well, so I wanted to give some input that will hopefully give you and others who are also interested in both series some insight.

TLDR; Overgeared = Shounen is a correct tag. More focused on the game, its elements, and its popularity/integration into pop culture. Much less serious tone, fun and entertaining. If you have spare time and like novels that are more about the shit the characters are doing and not the characters themselves, it's worth digging in. You'll eventually catch up if you like it enough.

SCOG = Seinen is also a correct tag. A better story imo, but serves a completely different purpose. Ultimately, being a fan of one does not mean you'll be a fan of the other.

@okayokayokay

So when is SCOG getting a webcomic? It sounds better than Overgeared from what you've wrote. You make it sound like the story is much better written overall.

@okayokayokay I can't believe that your reply was that intuitive haha! Thank you for that! I will read Overgeared after reading the comic just to provide an imagination on characters and such. It will be fun to compare the two in terms of sparking my interest. When I was reading SCOG I actually get bored sometimes due to the filler arcs? (its just my opinion though) but overall I agree to it being more of character development.

@corgihats It has one, actually. I've never read it, but here it is: https://mangadex.org/title/43914/the-second-coming-of-gluttony/chapters/. Jaimini's Box might have the missing chapters, as I think they moved over to webtoons after dropping their shounen series.

But like I said, I've never read it, so I don't know if the adaptation is good or bad.

If you want to read the novel, you can find it here: https://www.wuxiaworld.com/novel/the-second-coming-of-gluttony The Overgeared novel is on the same site. I can say in terms of the web novels, I think SCOG is better written. Which one you like more is obviously going to depend more on your tastes in genre and story structure, though.

@PuddingLord Glad it was helpful! I think you'll enjoy the OG novel if you can make it past Grid being an asshole lol.

@okayokayokay @corgihats manhwa adaptation of SCOG started out good but suddenly went downhill in the Tutorial Area (the one with the quests). First season ended there. I don't know if it will go back to how it was in the start or will keep the confusing pace on the later chapters. I suggest to just stick to the novel. Speaking of adaptations of k-novels of same genre, Second Life Ranker is a decent novel that got pretty decent adaptation.

Dex-chan lover
Does this coincide with the WN or does it take a different approach with the pacing?

@Ludvico Or about able actually reading it from Leviatan Scans where you can support the translators?

English chapters are released later over here. Reaper Scans is already on chapter 32, whole they're still on 29 here, if you wanna see the chapters the moment they're translated, find them in the Reaper Scans website. I think it has ads though.

Fed-Kun's army
Reaper does chapter dumps with this series since they are a bit behind on it. I don't get why they put mangadex so behind unless they dont want people here for this. They are up to Ch 37.

Edit: Wasn't paying attention to credits. Apparentky this has like three different groups translating it and they are all going at different paces and only reaper uploads here

Users who are viewing this thread