Oversimplified SCP - Ch. 117 - SCP-710-JP

Dex-chan lover
@Ncararc

Likely classed as Keter since the containment procedures are mostly useless, effectively making the SCP uncontainable. It doesn't matter if the Foundation has the gun secured now since the shots can be fired through time.

Dex-chan lover
Pretty much lets you kill anyone if you knew when and where they were at a point in time.

I'd just place a tracker on the gun at all times. If you knew when and where it was shot in the present, you can at least prevent someone from dying in the past or future (by shooting the shooter before they shoot). Essentially, a 'second tap' cleans up the mess any idiot makes.

Aggregator gang
@reu

Yeah. And the fact that they observed a bullet that can't be correlated with any shots fired in the past or present means that it will breach containment. I made zero mention of how reality warping the gun can be, just the fact that it can't be contained as long as there are observations of uncorrelated shots. Unless the Foundation does a self-fulfilling prophecy thing like they do with SCO-1032 where they purposely make the shots in the future in order to prevent breaching containment.

Double-page supporter
The classification is based largely on a combination of containability and danger, though the former has become weighed far more highly in recent years of the in-universe Foundation.

That is, if an object is completely uncontainable and has a small potential for danger, it will almost certainly be classified highly. If an object is very dangerous but perfectly containable, it will likely be classified closer to Safe.

The reason why containability is weighed so highly is due to recent recognitions of severe underestimates of how dangerous objects can be, especially sentient ones (which could arbitrarily decide that humanity/the Foundation is their enemy, even if they're neutral or even helpful in the present). This is why the Foundation leans towards trying to contain everything possible, no matter how small or safe it seems, because it could potentially have unknown properties or become hostile at any point.

I always wondered what's the difference between an anomalous object and a SCP. This kinda strikes me as an anomalous object.

@zaji970 from what I can understand, an SCP is an anomalous object or entity which has been documented and classified by the SCP Foundation. There's not really a consistent explanation of a difference, though some refer to things which are only classified as "Anomalous objects" as being "Too useless to warrant further study." Things like a coin which always lands on heads, or a d6 which can sometimes land on 7.

In this case, the weapon does require proper containment, as losing it could be potentially disastrous, and a file for it has been made, so it's an SCP.

Aggregator gang
Shooting into the future sorta makes sense since it's a gun with a timer. Shooting in the past? Won't that change history and present since the past is already happened?
TIME PARADOX

Dex-chan lover
@guardian1102 it would not be a paradox because said shots have already happened in the past, only thing to complete the loop would be to fire the gun set to that point in time. The shot that almost hit the researcher tells that someone will fire it in that place at some unknown time in the future, and due to that it's uncontainable because a containment breach will happen in the future or else its a paradox which cannot happen.

Dex-chan lover
It should not be Keter, because the SCP itself is not able to free himself from containment, it's just external forces trying to get to it.

I think why it's Keter is due to it's time travelling capabilities. Potenially, millions of bullets have been fired. It's existence means that danger lurks anywhere, at anytime, and the foundation can't do shit, because they can't trace it at all. Honestly, I think what this story wants to tell us is that anything that fuck with the flow of time will probably be a Keter, because it just can't be located.

I am still trying to remember if JP stands for. I thought it meant joke but J means that Does anyone know?

Double-page supporter
The SCP probably has many items and measures that can pin point and warp time based anomalies. They have some reality warpers working with them after all

Dex-chan lover
Probably the most interesting part about this SCP is figuring out what class it should be and why. I agree with the notion it's Keter because it's deducible that it will breach containment based on it's effect.

Double-page supporter
So is there a limit on those time travel capabilities? I mean you could literally be protecting that thing for all eternity all to try and prevent a few bullets.

I'm guessing the keter designation is less for the gun itself but more for the possible inevitably of it being the 'root cause' of a containment breach, especially since that might cause other SCPs to break containment (hence why I think it's stored on a different site from all the other SCPs)

The other question I have is what if you try to fulfill the past bullets yourself? Like what if after that bullet shot in the Dr's lab, you took the gun, set it for that time, and shot it so that would've been the 'shooting' and not a later containment breach? Would that have been the only bullet? Does that prevent any future shootings to that time happen? Can the gun even be used with that intention in mind? What happens if you shoot towards the same time, same place, but with two different bullets? Do they stack? Meld into one? does only one go through and the rest of the matter is just lost to the aether?

Users who are viewing this thread