Painter of the Night

Oh man, I feel so bad for Na-Kyum (the painter). He's such a innocent kid and gets caught up in Seungho's (rich dude on the cover title and also ML) whims. I walked into it knowing what to expect from the ML considering the summary so be warned that ML is a total asshole right from the beginning. And I mean, he's the type of guy who has no qualms with threatening and killing someone. He'll do it. Other than that, quite an enjoyable read and I love the art. And I mean, PHENOMENAL art. Seriously. Amazing smut so you won't be disappointed.

Below are spoilers of what I read so far on Lezhin so be warned. Well actually just me mainly venting out my dislike for a particular character. You'll see why if you read.
Heavy warning: Seungho does rape Na-Kyum in this story so if you're upset about that sort of topic, avoid this story and find something else to enjoy.

Seungho does some real bad stuff but considering he knows he's an asshole and isn't apologetic about it, I know exactly what to expect from him. So I'm not as annoyed by him when he gets screen time. Na-Kyum's teacher Jung In-Hun (the scholar) on the other hand, is SUPER annoying. He forces his values on Na-Kyum and punishes him for painting gay smut so Na-Kyum totally drops painting it from then on. Na-Kyum does it to earn money (and also seems to enjoy it and I have no problem with that) and it's not like Jung In-Hun supports him financially either so he can shut his trap on that holier-than-thou BS.

What annoys me most about his character is his utter hypocrisy. He spouts lofty stuff and helps teach letters to little kids but in actuality, he looks down on them because he thinks they can't amount to anything more than farmers so he doesn't put much effort into teaching them. HAH, that's rich coming from him since he's also a poor commoner too; no special lineage to speak of. He looks down on the poor common folk and thinks he deserves a high governmental position merely on the basis of his apparent brilliance (my ass more like). He's not above snooping around trying to find dirt on Seungho in order to blackmail him into supporting him either. HAH, so much for his pure character he tries so hard to pretend to be.

I just feel bad for Na-Kyum because when Na-Kyum comes running to him crying and desperately begging him to run away together, he just tells Na-Kyum to stop crying and to return. He knows Na-Kyum will do anything he says and tells him to go ahead and paint gay smut for Seungho and help him find dirt on Seungho. That what will him him will also help Na-Kyum and didn't he promise to help him too? Just the way he manipulates Na-Kyum's feelings for him which he is totally aware of is so frustrating...! What a self-serving hypocritical asshole. Doesn't care if Na-Kyum is taken advantage of so long as it benefits him. So it made me really happy to see Seungho set Jung In-Hun in his place when he told him how shit his poetry was and how he would have never supported him if it weren't for Na-Kyum. LOL. That shit made me laugh.

So while I find both Seungho and Jung In-Hun to be assholes, I by far, hate hypocrites the most who spouts one thing yet turns around later and does the opposite. So yep, I'll enjoy watching his downfall sooner or later.

wow...the art is so beautiful!

The main character is a huge crybaby and just cries all the time and does stupid things without thinking it through. I think it's hinted he will stop being stupid in the future, but that's gonna be a long time. Full of drama and angst, so if you like that, this is a good read.

English, Japanese and (obviously) Korean versions are licensed, which you can find on the official site, not here.

it's not as amazing as i thought it would be by reading all the fangirling of the fujoshi's but it's quite enjoyable (for a work with such stereotypical characters).

Dang thankfullyy I kept up to date. I now all previous ch gone. Awaiting the new chp. Good time to ya.

Users who are viewing this thread