Progress Indicator for your Reading Manga :rejected:

Is it feasible to have progress indicator as shown in the image below (illustration purpose) when u read a manga that you follow. Ex. - last read chapter (eng/same language) of a manga is 10 and highest chapter available (eng/same language) is 20 then some progress indicator showing 50%.

uOC4ufA.png

Since they don’t want to add filtering manga by completed scanlation, they will be even less likely to add this.
Apparently it’s hard to filter only one language (English) from the chapter list for each series?

Apparently it’s hard to filter only one language (English) from the chapter list for each series?
i thought since they have a separate tab for English language (show only chapters in english) it would be feasible at least for english language but i guess it won't be possbile

Don’t quote me on this, I’m not a dev.

I imagine they would have to query for the last chapter in a given language for each manga on the list, which would put heavy strain on the database if it was done for every item on the list. Or add an extra field for the last chapter number in each language to DB… They have some reason for which they reject this. Not to mention some manga have a lot of chapters skipped in the middle. They don’t want to do it only for English either, the site is supposed to be multilingual by design or something. As far as I understand. Maybe the real reasoning is completely different.

Group Leader
I mean, they kinda have this feature? You just have to be looking at the actual page itself.
uKxoAMt.png

I imagine they would have to query for the last chapter in a given language for each manga on the list, which would put heavy strain on the database if it was done for every item on the list. Or add an extra field for the last chapter number in each language to DB… They have some reason for which they reject this. Not to mention some manga have a lot of chapters skipped in the middle. They don’t want to do it only for English either, the site is supposed to be multilingual by design or something. As far as I understand. Maybe the real reasoning is completely different.
well if that's the case i would rather have features cut instead so that we don't have downtime and servers issues while reading manga and implement features in future.

I mean, they kinda have this feature? You just have to be looking at the actual page itself.

When the Pub. Status is completed then only it will show Total Chapter Count otherwise it will show ? in the manga page as far as i know.
Ex. Solo Leveling https://mangadex.org/title/31477/solo-leveling
Vvjmx20.png

Having reading progress indicator (based on Highest Chapter Available) in follows page itself makes more sense for reading purpose. Lets say you have hundred's of manga and want know your reading progress which is not feasible currently by checking every manga page. You would want to know this for planning which manga to read i.e. which manga you are lagging behind (most unread chapters) and least unread chapters ( ex. 1-2 unread chapter).

Custom title
Staff
Developer
You've somehow found the most uncacheable feature I've heard so far: something that depends on the user, their language filtering settings, their read chapters as well as the number of available chapters in specific languages in any given title.

We could implement this, but nobody could read anything anymore. The database servers wouldn't stay up long enough.

Users who are viewing this thread