[Reader] odd scroll issue on mobile

Group Leader
Using Firefox for Android.

It's a pretty specific and weird issue. I believe it must have been a bug introduced in a recent update as I have only been noticing it for about a week or maybe two.

Scrolling down works perfectly fine. However, scrolling up seems to start some sort of internal timer of sorts, as I can scroll either once slowly or two to three times quickly before the next one doesn't scroll at all and instead brings up the address bar.
This means that when scrolling up slowly, it alternates between scrolling and not scrolling each time I swipe down.

Additionally, if scrolling down slightly first, then scrolling up without lifting my finger from the screen, it does not start this 'internal timer', and everything works as normal. So the bug only triggers when the site detects I am initiating a scroll up from the start.

Sorry if I'm not doing a very good job at explaining it, please ask further questions and I'll elaborate wherever needed.

Contributor
A video/gif of the problem would probably help some but anywhom.
Using nightly builds of firefox on Android there was only one scenario that I sort of got what I think you described to happen. With the reader option of "show header" enabled I was able to get times were it appeared as though the page wasn't scrolling up because of the browser's url/address bar coming out and interacting with site elements in a way so that basically negated the scroll. of course it could be something in the nightly builds of FF fixed the issue

You could try messing with the address bar setting (settings > Customize) of having it on top or bottom of the screen and the "scroll to hide" toggle to see if it makes any difference.

Group Leader
As you suggested, I toyed a bit with certain settings and found the issue is caused by 'pull to refresh' (under 'customise').
When I turn it off, I can scroll as regular. Turn it back on and scrolling up (which is done by swiping/pulling down, so it makes sense) again gets alternatingly cancelled.
Can you replicate this way? If not, I can try to make a screen recording if that would still help, though I have no idea how.

It is still curious that this issue only started occurring recently; I've had this option turned on since I got this phone last year and could scroll up just fine until around the start of this month if I recall correctly.
I incidentally forgot to update my apps since around February or so (I was reminded of that because of this bug), that's why I reckon it's not related to any recent Firefox updates.

Contributor
Ah, I have that setting turned off because it annoys the hell out of me. I always accidentally refresh pages when i don't mean to with it enabled.

But yeah once I turned it on scrolling works until the address bar is fully visible and then i need to scroll again to actually get it to continue. I also tested a few other sites with it enabled but they all worked as expected.

Group Leader
I'm also having no problems on the main site, series pages, other websites, even other readers like mangaplus. Only the MD reader.

Group Leader
I have to take back that statement. Today I've noticed the issue as well on this very page, when scrolling through the 'similar threads' at the bottom, as well as on Google images when scrolling through 'similar results'.
I guess it's a Firefox issue after all? Which is weird considering my lack of app updates.

Users who are viewing this thread