Regarding the lifespan of Language filters for guests

Dex-chan lover
Disclaimer: This could be a problem, that might originate from my side of the internet.

I visited MangaDex for some time now and made an account just recently. Back in the days, before Major Update v3, the language filters for us guests, worked for around 1 day (In my case). Then you had to renew the filter settings. Blissful days.
But since the update a new problem aroused for me. The language filter stops working after a much shorter time period and all updated titles are thrown in again. Strangely enough the filter setting under: "MangaDex settings"/"Filter chapter languages:" is still set to English. (The setting itself is gone after a day, like is has been before the update.)

If this side behavior happens to all guests, it is rather annoying for them. But they would have no way to complain (except by registering) and I guess nobody with an account is aware of the situation.

But maybe its just my problem:
I'm using Waterfox 56.2.2 (64-bit) and only accept session cookies.
I'm also thrown out of my login session after a few hours, so this could be related. No, I'm not using the "stay logged in (1 Year)" option.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@Qelix Guest cookies last for two hours now, as an incentive to make an account. Account settings will last for as long as you don't clear cookies/localstorage. Accounts are logged out after a few hours of inactivity if you don't checkmark the remember me box.

Dex-chan lover
@Plykiya
Guest cookies last for two hours now, as an incentive to make an account.
So it's an anti-feature and not a bug. Is there already an ongoing thread with a discussion on this topic?

I for my part don't believe, this is a very efficient way to goat guests into creating accounts. And I don't see the logic behind annoying guests, that want to stay anonymous and will never register an account anyways. I believe this will work into another direction. Many visitors might be ignorant on the difference between sides like Batoto/mangadex and ... those others and then choose such a ca$h oriented mangareader page. Just out of conveniences. (I wasn't a big fan of batotos decision to show older chapters to registered users only either.)

There! I said it!

Users who are viewing this thread