Rules about multiple same language releases for the same chapter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group Leader
I wanted to know what were the rules about posting a release for a chapter in English that was already done by another person/group years ago also in English. To provide some context, I'm currently scanlating an anthology book of one-shots by this one author, and a few years ago, someone scanlated just the third story, and it was left untouched until I picked it up recently, beginning with the first story and soon to upload the second one. While it would be a waste of time to scanlate the third story, since someone else already did it and posted it to MangaDex and I also don't want to disrespect them, I am slightly considering it if just for consistency's sake, but also because the raws I have are higher quality and I have an extra author's afterwords page that I will translate and add to my release.
The closest thing I saw in the site rules to my question was:
1.3.4 - Both using the translated script and images of a scanlation as the basis of a new scanlation are generally allowed as long as there is a significant difference from the source release, such as being translated to another language, having significantly improved typesetting, or higher quality raws.​
From what I gather, I do not think having multiple releases of the same chapter in the same language on this site is against the rules, since, for example, the manga "Kono Sekai no Kouryakuhon wo Hirotte Shimaimashita," currently has 2-3 English-language groups uploading their own translations, but I also wanted to be sure.

Contributor
I wanted to know what were the rules about posting a release for a chapter in English that was already done by another person/group years ago also in English. To provide some context, I'm currently scanlating an anthology book of one-shots by this one author, and a few years ago, someone scanlated just the third story, and it was left untouched until I picked it up recently, beginning with the first story and soon to upload the second one. While it would be a waste of time to scanlate the third story, since someone else already did it and posted it to MangaDex and I also don't want to disrespect them, I am slightly considering it if just for consistency's sake, but also because the raws I have are higher quality and I have an extra author's afterwords page that I will translate and add to my release.
The closest thing I saw in the site rules to my question was:
1.3.4 - Both using the translated script and images of a scanlation as the basis of a new scanlation are generally allowed as long as there is a significant difference from the source release, such as being translated to another language, having significantly improved typesetting, or higher quality raws.​
From what I gather, I do not think having multiple releases of the same chapter in the same language on this site is against the rules, since, for example, the manga "Kono Sekai no Kouryakuhon wo Hirotte Shimaimashita," currently has 2-3 English-language groups uploading their own translations, but I also wanted to be sure.

If your work is using your translation of the original, then to the best of my knowledge that rule doesn't apply to you.

That rule usually applies to things like taking an existing TL and using that on different raws or using some TL and translating into a different language and using the same raws

Custom title
Staff
Developer
From what I gather, I do not think having multiple releases of the same chapter in the same language on this site is against the rules
Definitely not against the rules, we put in a lot of effort specifically to make it possible and highly visible to support different groups releasing the same chapter. It's part of what separates us from other aggregators.

The rule you quoted is about repurposing someone else's release, as in, making a new scanlation based on an existing scanlation. Reusing someone else's translation has a pretty high bar (the original better be like Comic Sans tier bad), but if you're translating the chapter yourself, the rule doesn't apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread