Sakamichi no Apollon

Dex-chan lover
This is such a bloody masterpiece. The characters, the atmosphere, the setting . . . it really gave me the feel of a Japan going through the turbulent sixties, and made me feel like I loved jazz even though actually I'm kind of lukewarm about most of it. But this manga makes you understand why people love jazz, makes you want to love jazz even if you're not that into the sound. Also makes you fall in love with all the major characters and half the minor ones even though they're totally different from each other. There's times in this that crush your heart, and times that make you want to be on your feet, cheering yourself hoarse. Marvellous stuff.

Aggregator gang
I agree! I love how this is a coming of age story for many of the characters. Seeing how they interact and affect each other as they grow, was incredibly endearing and heart wrenching at the same time. I randomly found myself picking up this book and then unable to put it back down. This a great book and it makes me hopeful of my own uncertain future. I want to thank the author for an amazing job and sharing this story with us.

I've seen this in anime and I loved it so much especially the soundtrack! Now I'm gonna read it.

Group Leader
Absolutely adorable, very few manga got me through such a rollercoaster of emotions. Highly recommended!

Read it all in one go. What an excellent ride this has been! My only regret is that I didn't pick up this series sooner

Fed-Kun's army
Pretty great manga! Still don't really understand Sentarou's decision even after reading the Bonus Track chapters, but oh well.

Aggregator gang
It's been a long time since I found such a fantastic manga. It truly touches upon some of the most important things about being alive. I think those two boys in Tokyo put it better than I ever could, "Unlike love, friendship is for life." Heart wrenching montage about what distance and time can do to a people all the while depicting life in post-war Japan. Crossroads in life are truly so painful.

I just finished the story and I am bawling my eyes out. It was just... such a beautiful story. I kind of want to watch the adaptations now but I don’t think I’m emotionally ready yet. I’ll get back to this story after some time..

Dex-chan lover
i was soooo uncomfortable with the romance at first since
i never like a misunderstanding/third wheel/complicated romance
but guess who bawling her eyes out at 1 a.m? haha gonna give it a 9/10 because
i just wish sentaro married and have his whole big big big fams :(

Dex-chan lover
Its a freaking great manga 😭😭😭😭
Thank you for translating this @macaque

It is a good, sad, sweet, sad, sad, sad, sweet, good, sad, sweet, sad, sad, good ride.

I really like the epilogue. But this manga has so much drama, it’s kinda ridiculous.

i watched the anime before resding but honestly i kinda like reading it better :) except the music scenes cuz it was my favorite part from the anime x(

I'm not a fan of the way Ritsuko's character was written.Its seemed like her whole personality was revolved around taking care of the guys.

@j48dmxk39 I think he wanted to be a priest to look after orphans and because the church was where he went when he felt like he didn't belong at home. I think that's why we had the extra chapter where he helps the little girl and they all goto the grove with the statue of the virgin mary. Showing that he's come back to his faith after all this time of searching for somewhere he felt like he actually belonged. Also the drowning/rebirth theme in that chapter is a big one in the Christian faith : )

Users who are viewing this thread