Seeking Established Artist with Related Questions

I have finished a script for a spec project and have set aside enough to hire an established artist, assuming the US dollar doesn't tank against the yen in the near future. I have some quick questions in case anyone has commissioned a doujinshi artist for a similar project. I understand the rules for this matter are not particularly hard and fast.

1. Do you know a good site for posting a notice, or should I look through credits of manga I like for email addresses and send messages individually? I've seen recommendations for Pixiv, do the artists there do full stories or just one-off illustrations?

2. Is $250 for an inked page in a domestic setting with characters in contemporary garb (i.e. no complicated backgrounds or mechs) considered a reasonable benchmark?

3. Unthinkingly I formatted the script in Jim Zub's very western style (here's a reference for the curious: https://imgur.com/a/wz38vpz ) Is it worth looking up how it's usually done for manga and reformatting it?

4. Are boilerplate contracts for these projects available? I am told they're fairly secretive about it on a company scale. How are freelancer contracts?

5. Is Paypal popular overseas? Is another payment method popular that's available in the US that I should expect to use?

Thank you very much for your time!

BTeStT1.png

N9sn1J3.png

???​

From what i know from bakuman a manga artist earns like 3800 yen per page or smth like that and 3 times that for a colored page. No clue tho. 250 is way too much tho I‘ll say that much.

bugmenot2: I cut and pasted this message from another forum that I joined in 2018. That was sloppy of me and it's been fixed.

Kokoe: I did some Googling, and the panel I found said 9000 yen per page, and that's set back in 2009 before a lot of inflation occurred: https://eric-koenig.com/2019/12/24/the-perils-of-texting-and-a-victory-in-bakuman-chapter-15-send-and-reply/

Also I believe those characters are supposed to be rookies.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer.

Group Leader
If you're really adamant about finding a japanese artist you can try skeb, checklitebox for page rates (though you can expect to pay more for a japanese artist), and if you're fine with a western artist you can try creator advisor

good luck finding an artist that suits your needs

@Servomoore are u still looking for artist? some pixiv artist I've followed open their commision in pixiv, maybe you can dm them personally and you can also check out their portofolio...
and i also followed a ton of good artist in twitter too mostly asian, but i dunno how to reach em maybe also dm one by one

Thanks again for your suggestions, but it's beginning to look like Fiverr might be the site I was looking for. Lots of very skilled artists there from Indonesia and the Philippines. Still, I would like at least one, maybe two mid-tier name artists with instantly recognizable styles attached to this project for marketing. Looks like I might just have to grind on that one through a bunch of Twitter of Wix sites until I find one willing to take the job.

Pixiv and Skeb are both kind of awkward for me, and it's also an issue that Skeb doesn't accept Paypal.

Users who are viewing this thread