Sekai Tensei Slum Machi kara no Nariagari - Ch. 1.2

Dex-chan lover
The forager in me was pissed off, and now I remember why. At best, one can only be 60% sure on a good day that what they're foraging is edible, not to mention the double and triple checking that goes into it.
There's also how he's assuming everything is analogous to the old world's instead of going the harder, but safer route of reading/relying on this world's collective knowledge.

This must be that feeling other hobbyists get when there's a poor depiction of their hobby.
He just got his memories back from his reincarnation. I would assume that if he or the others in the slum knew anything about edible plants they would already be foraging for them. His friend also states that she tried to eat grass, which made her sick, so I would assume that edible plants are unknown to them.

Even if there isn't a direct correlation between his old world and the one he is in now his knowledge of edible plants is a good starting point to start foraging to try and keep from starving. He may also know how to test if a plant is edible (i.e. 1 odor test, 2 skin test, 3 boil and test against lips, 4 hold in mouth test, 5 swall test)
do they even have water though? sure the villagers will but would slum dwellers
If the city has a water well that is available for its citizens then even the slum dwellers could use it. If not, then those in the slum would have an alternative water source. I mean we already learned that the girl's mother cooked beans and to be able to cook the beans she would need access to water.

Group Leader
If not, then those in the slum would have an alternative water source. I mean we already learned that the girl's mother cooked beans and to be able to cook the beans she would need access to water.
I was thinking about how the mom was able to cook the beans but I decided that she would be able to heat them up, minimum, since they don’t look soggy (don’t mention anything about looks because I’m probably wrong about this anyways)

slums just seems like the kinda place where everyone is starving, on the verge of death, just suffering a lot, but maybe this kingdom just has a way better policy on it than other manga portrayals

Dex-chan lover
TywnpXk.jpg

oddTlP0.jpg

Dex-chan lover
Additionally the idea that a random guy knows more about foraging in an unknown region is ridiculous. The people that already living there their whole life will definitely know more than any foreigner.
This.

It's the same thing which bother me when they recreate japanese food and everyone are like "it's SOOOO goood ! Wow nobody ever thought of putting rice, meat and some sauce before !"

It only works when the world building is poorly made.
But it seems that lot of people doesn't care too much about world building.

Dex-chan lover
Even if there isn't a direct correlation between his old world and the one he is in now his knowledge of edible plants is a good starting point to start foraging to try and keep from starving. He may also know how to test if a plant is edible (i.e. 1 odor test, 2 skin test, 3 boil and test against lips, 4 hold in mouth test, 5 swall test)

Though I jest, I do believe this is more in part due to the story tellers as @Clad95150 pointed out.

Fed-Kun's army
Didn't know anyone mention it yet, This story have novel(also translated on NU) didn't get any update for a while now.

//Ok,just checked, It's not "Hiatus", Author did have added new chapter but it's only a Special chapter.

Fed-Kun's army
Can't wait for the part where they do crop rotation
I hope they don't. It's always funny if the author thinks he is a big deal by introducing a new concept while being unaware that concept isn't new at all.
Crop rotation exists since ancient greek, maybe earlier. I even theorize that it's not possible to sustain a civilization without it for extended periods of time.

Dex-chan lover
There aren't many series where an isekaid character is using his modern world knowledge in a believable way. The only one that comes to mind is Ascendance of a Bookworm.

It's quite often an isekai author is writing about a topic he only has a rough idea about.
as far as ive seen, only Ascendance and saving 80k gold, and FUNA's work ther only works specifically because Mitsuha can just go back to earth and read wikipedia and sets up an internet blog to figure out how to be a liege lord. like she specifically tests 3 field, 4 field, and 6 field rotation to figure out which works and which would fail and her county was already doing 2 field at least

Fed-Kun's army
as far as ive seen, only Ascendance and saving 80k gold, and FUNA's work ther only works specifically because Mitsuha can just go back to earth and read wikipedia and sets up an internet blog to figure out how to be a liege lord. like she specifically tests 3 field, 4 field, and 6 field rotation to figure out which works and which would fail and her county was already doing 2 field at least
Lol no. Mitsuha has absolutely no clue how to transfer modern knowledge into her isekai world. That's why she not only teleported all that stuff from her original world but also people into the isekai world so they would do the fighting and thinking for her. The way she acts draws attention is similar to a bull rampaging in a China shop. Running around with a loaded glock and stun gun, spreading thousands high gloss portraits of her, she is the epitome of "not giving a fuck"

While I enjoy reading about her antics a lot, this is a completely different kind of isekai. If Mitsuha needs something she can't get in the isekai world, she just gets it from the original one.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
It's the same thing which bother me when they recreate japanese food and everyone are like "it's SOOOO goood ! Wow nobody ever thought of putting rice, meat and some sauce before !"

It only works when the world building is poorly made.
But it seems that lot of people doesn't care too much about world building.
Made me remember how they were praising egg on rice in Gintama, around Kagura's intro. I'll admit, Gintama did get me to try it, and it was good

Dex-chan lover
Lol no. Mitsuha has absolutely no clue how to transfer modern knowledge into her isekai world. That's why she not only teleported all that stuff from her original world but also people into the isekai world so they would do the fighting and thinking for her. The way she acts draws attention is similar to a bull rampaging in a China shop. Running around with a loaded glock and stun gun, spreading thousands high gloss portraits of her, she is the epitome of "not giving a fuck"

While I enjoy reading about her antics a lot, this is a completely different kind of isekai. If Mitsuha needs something she can't get in the isekai world, she just gets it from the original one.
yes the majority of Saving 80k gold is Mitsuha weaving a snare to strangle herself as she makes enemies of the governments of earth and the Zegrius Kingdom while her lesbian harem fights over her (and the harem was in open rebellion in the wn at the start of this year and she just crossed a line with Count Bozes). It is a Comedic Tragedy first and foremost even if it parades itself as a Yuri Harem Comedy most of the time.

Part of the difficulty in writing a comedic tragedy is that FUNA has to balance Mitsuha weaving the snare that traps her with making actually good decisions. Yamano County eats all the good intentions that pave the highway to hell both in the material that has gotten directly adapted and that which remains in webnovel territory. Yes most of her uplifting is done via external experts, but she does actually put every inch of her highschool diploma (honestly Mitsuha is actually too smart, shes supposed to have only "technically" graduated, but is a borderline world class Spy when restricted to only her wits and her beretta) to use such as introducing general education and trying to find every person who can help that she can.

Granted, the actual reason Mitsuha doesnt do isekai cooking or serious uplifting herself is that thats actually Mile's thing because FUNA's protagonists dont interfere with eachother's modus operandi except when it comes time for an exterminatus sanction.

Users who are viewing this thread