Sensei's White Lie - Vol. 8 Ch. 49 - With You From the Beginning

Dex-chan lover
@omnixd Interesting bit of info. Her works can hardly compare to Asano Inio's unfortunately.

@Yautja Yeah the police station interaction felt forced and unrealistic. That's not the first time this has happened in this manga though, the author has been slipping throughout the whole manga. There are plenty of occasions where the plot had to bend to accommodate our MC. Most of the times it was so that she could present one of her (supposedly deep) speeches. Honestly that felt like a temporary self-insert from the author in order to be able to voice her beliefs.
It is what it is though, at least it's original.

@Yautja I think the woman actually is a psychologist. She seems to be dressed in medical scrubs. The male seems to be dressed like a typical detective and he was asking questions material to the case: “You knew the assailant’s wife?”, “Why didn’t you tell her?”. It could be protocol in Japan to have a mental health professional present in rape interviews; I don’t know.

As for her question on Sensei’s feelings, I think it is a useful question. She snapped at Nimura when he told her he was raped because she projected her experience on his situation. Sensei acknowledged she did that. I think if she shared her trauma and sought to understand how it affected her, that would be the first step to overcoming it.

Double-page supporter
@BCS With all their anxienty over declining birth rates they'd probably treat her like a hero not fire her lol

This was a weird one. I thought the premise was interesting and the early chapters were good at fleshing both main characters out and provided a cool, melancholy atmosphere that fit the series nicely... but as the the story went along, we kept introducing more annoying or pointless characters with their own baggage and after a while, the dark tone became too oppressive and it became clear that the author had no intention on doing anything besides just wallowing in the darkness, which is a shame. When the story actually focuses on its leads, it's decent but aside that it's a mess. I can see what she was trying to do with this bit it wasn't as fleshed out as it could have been. I don't think I wasted my time reading it, but it's def not something I particularly liked.

Still good job HWMN on finishing this one. Can't wait to see what y'all have in store next.

Dex-chan lover
Finally this thing ends, anyway i hope the guy gets imprisoned, it seems to be going in that direction, i don't consider this a happy ending if it is left out to speculation if justice was served or not, over all can't say i liked nor enjoyed this, it was really frustrating, and i find myself glad that it just ended and it didn't wasted time showing what happened with everyone else.

@Mojokex indeed, it is good practice to have a mental health professional on the session specially for such a delicate thing, but the detailed questions about her experience was out of place, even within a normal therapy session, that question is not something that should be asked without a concise therapy plan, let alone in such casual manner, and she was not in a therapy session, that's not something to ask and then improvise on the go how to deal with it, the professional has to be prepared to know how to dealt with their client, that means they must know their client, and their psychological demands and needs, is not something to go asking about on a first meeting.

Plus her answer can't be crosschecked with that of the other victims nor with the assailant, not everyone will say the same thing because only she knows how she felt at the moment, that's not the business of the police to inquire about, her experience is her own, it adds nothing to the investigation and puts her at risk of relapse, which is the very thing the mental health professional is there to avoid happening, so that the questioning can continue with as little obstacles as possible, also for the safety of the victim/witness of course, but mostly to facilitate the investigation.

The other questions were more normal and useful, things that could be way more useful instead are, asking about how and when she was beaten which has the wife as a witness, the nurse and doctor that attended her, and the registry of the days she took in absence while she was on recovery at her job, plus the testimony of the culprit himself who is confessing, and the staff of the hotel who had to clean the mess, the fact that she was blackmailed and how 2 students knew and the wife too, as well as asking about meeting places like motels, you know things that can be checked and be used in court, but how she felt while she was raped doesn't helps that process at all, that's something that she has to discuss in another space.

It is forced, the author ran out of chapters and never got her talking about it, so she put it in here, but a police interrogation is not a counseling session, that's not a close up question to an interrogation, is not a matter of asking "how did you felt back then? how do you feel now? is that so? ok thanks, have a good day, next one please!" the police are crude, yes, but asking the pertinent questions about the case is plenty enough for them to reefer her to have some proper counseling which is something that is not part of their job, matter of fact they can use the things obtained on the counseling session as evidence if the police themselves or a court (usually only a court) are the ones sending her to get counseling because is part of the investigation, and is in there with the proper tools that she can and should cover that part.

Even the last question was oddly out of place, they should have asked about how she felt now after talking about it not to give her a moment of catharsis, but in order to check if she needs additional help or assistance, to see if after reliving her experience she has put herself mentally at risk, but instead they asked about how she felt now over all in her life in comparison to back them...

This could have been good, but it just wasn't. The way the author handled everything was so frustrating and I'm just glad it's over.

So the guy assaulted multiple women besides the teacher?
I really respect how she overcame the incident and how she paints the feeling, it was very educational/ enlightening
Hope this manga helped someone

v1m

I didn't like reading this story about mediocre people getting used and using others, however that makes it ring much more true than any other setting. A lot of difficult situations were addressed that do not find their way into most manga, esp. the reflective perspective of women on themselves (or demonstrative lack thereof).

Also Hayafuji the son of a bitch hopefully gets buttfucked a whole lot in prison.

Dex-chan lover
It is forced, the author ran out of chapters and never got her talking about it
Whaddya mean? She's been talking about how it felt for the entire length of the manga. It wasn't even necessary for the author to write her giving that response, but then, it also wasn't necessary for her to write Hara giving the response she did at the closing ceremony.

On its face, at the least, it's unconvincing framing for those moments. I get the sense that the author thought that those were good dramatic moments to have those vocalized monologues, and prioritized the drama over conventional sense. But I wonder if there was any other intended purpose-- we don't have much focus on the students afterwards, so we don't see if that monologue had any lasting impact on their ideals (even by a little). The most evident effect of the closing ceremony monologue is that it leads to the removal of Hara and Niizuma's student-teacher relationship, which frees them to have a conventional relationship, but the most evident effect of the interrogation monologue is on the reader, who is then receiving a thematic summary (well, half of one-- what could more or less be considered the other half occurs in a classroom, and is in fact very appropriately situated).

Regardless, I don't think it's a matter of "running out of chapters". It was just something that may have been better done in an internal monologue or with Niizuma or whoever else.

Maybe.

I don't know what the creative process of this was like. I don't know the name of serial number of every cog in the author and editor's heads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread