Sexy Tanaka-san - Vol. 2 Ch. 4.2 - I Have My Dance - Part 2

Contributor
They use 四十肩 in the original :wowee:
Oh interesting! That didn't come up when I searched for “frozen shoulder”, but yeah they're indeed both a thing: “四十肩” (40s shoulder) and “五十肩” (50s shoulder). Given that, tho, I'd be concerned with domesticating “四十肩” as “frozen shoulder” because if at any point a distinction is made with 50s shoulder, then what do you do? Tho, foreignizing as “40s shoulder” necessitates a translation note, whereas “frozen shoulder” doesn't, and if only 1 of the Japanese terms is ever used, then it's not an issue.

Last edited:
Group Leader
Oh interesting! That didn't come up when I searched for “frozen shoulder”, but yeah they're indeed both a thing: “四十肩” (40s shoulder) and “五十肩” (50s shoulder). Given that, tho, I'd be concerned with domesticating “四十肩” as “frozen shoulder” because if at any point a distinction is made with 50s shoulder, then what do you do? Tho, foreignizing as “40s shoulder” necessitates a translation note, whereas “frozen shoulder” doesn't, and if only 1 of the Japanese terms is ever used, then it's not an issue.
I really struggled a lot as to how to translate this, thank you for noticing 😅 At the end of my struggles, I wanted to avoid translation notes and "40s shoulder" sounded too unnatural to me, so I went with "frozen shoulder". Iirc, the only time the "40" in the name was relevant is when someone said "well, it can happen in your thirties too", but well, sometimes you gotta make a choice ;)
(And slight spoiler: her condition will be cured in the next volume)

Users who are viewing this thread