Sexy Tanaka-san - Vol. 4 Ch. 8.1 - What Attracts People to You

Dex-chan lover
She not only took her own life, she also took away all the stories she would have written… so sad… 😞

Aggregator gang
I was sad to see this had been cancelled. But i didn't know why, so I was devastated after learning when reading the comments. Absolutely terrible.

Dex-chan lover
Just recently I read an interview with the staff of one anime about how difficult it is to make an authentic adaptation and here is the news. Well, my condolences, I hope that if someone was directly to blame for this, he will not escape responsibility.

Double-page supporter
Just recently I read an interview with the staff of one anime about how difficult it is to make an authentic adaptation and here is the news. Well, my condolences, I hope that if someone was directly to blame for this, he will not escape responsibility.
Akasaka Aka just straight up spend 10+ chapters wallowing in author/production disagreement for good reason. I can't believe it escalated to this point. From the news report, it seems that it wasn't this disagreement in particular that drove her over the edge. After all she have had a number of works being adapted to TV series.

Apparently the show's script writer went public about the disagreement after being asked about the change in tone for the last 2 episodes. She revealed that the author actually took over the script for the last 2 episodes after protesting the changes. Probably in response to that, Ashihara went on social media trashing the changes to the show. Some responses to her outrage were calling her out for demanding special treatment, and that she's choking other people creative freedom. She subsequently deleted her post and apologised, saying she didn't intent it as an attack. I think the negative response to her safeguarding the integrity of her work was the thing that did it.

Dex-chan lover
Akasaka Aka just straight up spend 10+ chapters wallowing in author/production disagreement for good reason. I can't believe it escalated to this point. From the news report, it seems that it wasn't this disagreement in particular that drove her over the edge. After all she have had a number of works being adapted to TV series.

Apparently the show's script writer went public about the disagreement after being asked about the change in tone for the last 2 episodes. She revealed that the author actually took over the script for the last 2 episodes after protesting the changes. Probably in response to that, Ashihara went on social media trashing the changes to the show. Some responses to her outrage were calling her out for demanding special treatment, and that she's choking other people creative freedom. She subsequently deleted her post and apologised, saying she didn't intent it as an attack. I think the negative response to her safeguarding the integrity of her work was the thing that did it.
I refuse to believe a mangaka killed themselves because of creative differences re: an anime live-action adaptation, or even bad reactions to her open displeasure (it's impossible that nobody was on her side). I'm not even willing to buy that it was the straw that broke the camel's back. What you're describing is beyond par for the course with anime live-action adaptations.

She had to have had underlying mental issues, or other life issues, for her to go as far as suicide.

Last edited:
More info in English here:
https://unseen-japan.com/sexy-tanaka-san-manga-drama-tragedy/

If you want my opinion, I think she believed she botched the last 2 episodes by personally rewriting them, and by that she felt she had a personal responsibility for the show's failure (viewership plummeted). There was a blame game and that was the last straw which broke the camel's back.

Oshi No Ko talks about it in detail, but overall Mangakas should stay away from live action screenwriting (that's a job for a different professional), but the choice of screenwriter is VERY IMPORTANT as their personal views (i.e. a screenwriter from a conservative broadcaster isn't going to take creative risks versus one hired by 'gaijin' Netflix) and commercial pressures (both from the broadcaster as well as the manga's publisher) will make a major difference in the quality of the show.

Many mangakas think that TV screenwriters routinely butcher their creative 'babies' but a popular manga does not make a popular TV series. I mean we as manga readers can spend either 10 seconds glancing or 10 minutes on a page reflecting on its meanings, but the TV show has to move the plot forward within time constraints, and keep the eyeballs glued to the screen.

Dex-chan lover
I refuse to believe a mangaka killed themselves because of creative differences re: an anime adaptation, or even bad reactions to her open displeasure (it's impossible that nobody was on her side). I'm not even willing to buy that it was the straw that broke the camel's back. What you're describing is beyond par for the course with anime adaptations.

She had to have had underlying mental issues, or other life issues, for her to go as far as suicide.
Never judge people's behavior by yourself. Especially in the context of an original industry in another country. By the way, according to interviews with Japanese experts, quite a lot of authors agree to rough changes due to lack of experience and a feeling of loneliness in the fight with producers and publishers. I won't even talk about the fact that severe moral and psychological pressure at work is quite a big problem in Southeast Asia; in the last 2-3 years alone, several famous people have committed suicide due to severe depression, bullying on social networks and work stress.

Dex-chan lover
More info in English here:
https://unseen-japan.com/sexy-tanaka-san-manga-drama-tragedy/

If you want my opinion, I think she believed she botched the last 2 episodes by personally rewriting them, and by that she felt she had a personal responsibility for the show's failure (viewership plummeted). There was a blame game and that was the last straw which broke the camel's back.

Oshi No Ko talks about it in detail, but overall Mangakas should stay away from live action screenwriting (that's a job for a different professional), but the choice of screenwriter is VERY IMPORTANT as their personal views (i.e. a screenwriter from a conservative broadcaster isn't going to take creative risks versus one hired by 'gaijin' Netflix) and commercial pressures (both from the broadcaster as well as the manga's publisher) will make a major difference in the quality of the show.

Many mangakas think that TV screenwriters routinely butcher their creative 'babies' but a popular manga does not make a popular TV series. I mean we as manga readers can spend either 10 seconds glancing or 10 minutes on a page reflecting on its meanings, but the TV show has to move the plot forward within time constraints, and keep the eyeballs glued to the screen.
I don't know the situation well enough to draw any big conclusions, but yes, often a lot depends on the format and the author's skills as a screenwriter. For example, Mari Okada spent many years writing shitty scripts for various media (up to AV scripts) before starting a career as a full-time screenwriter, and Ichiro Okuchi built an entire career out of baiting audiences with screenwriting tools. Which sometimes directly harmed the quality of his storytelling as a whole, but that’s another question. There is also a famous story where Tappei Nagatsuki, the author of ReZero, was asked to write a draft for the first couple of volumes of the official publication of his web novel, and he brought a huge amount of material simply due to the fact that he had no professional writing experience.

Users who are viewing this thread