Shachiku Jidai no Neet-san - Oneshot

Aggregator gang
Yes, unfortunately the huge majority of guys don't even get close to read, watch, consume stuff from "opposing" demography.
I've never been successful in getting a guy friend to watch a romantic movie or read a shoujo. Finding boys that really appreciate a plurality of content in daily life, school or work, its like impossible.
Thanks for the chapter ❤️

Supporter
I suppose there's something fitting about it being today, though still odd in general, for Please pick up this manga :v to translate a handful of one shots...There's nothing left to pick up now.

Dex-chan lover
Yes, unfortunately the huge majority of guys don't even get close to read, watch, consume stuff from "opposing" demography.
I've never been successful in getting a guy friend to watch a romantic movie or read a shoujo. Finding boys that really appreciate a plurality of content in daily life, school or work, its like impossible.
Her remark is that the "kind" male characters she often sees (and likes) in shounen manga are apparently only fantasy, as she's forced to listen to two boorish guys talk about pursuing women (potentially including her) based on the size of their breasts.

Your guy friends almost certainly "appreciate a plurality of content in daily life, school or work"-- they just don't like romantic movies and shoujo manga, which are explicitly crafted with researched female sensibilities in mind. That's to be expected-- the editors definitely did.

No, I highly doubt this is entirely a matter of bias towards the labels themselves. Take it from a guy who has no bias against romance stories, freely has shoujo manga he likes (and is fully aware that "shoujo" only designates the intended demographic, and that not all shoujo manga is romantic SOL), and additionally reads them as a matter of writing research-- I find some of them dreadfully boring, sometimes categorically more than a dreadfully boring shounen or seinen manga.

There's also the question of what's there for them to be interested in, as men whose interests probably conform to the conventional sense we have of "masculine interests". For example, I impulsively ordered all available English volumes of three shoujo manga because they had heroines that were some combination of androgynous, crossdressing, and tomboyish-- but that's because I like those character features (and to an extent, I like the complexity that the "tomboy" quality can bring to a character and their relationships, when the quality is leveraged in a meaningful way).

Because, fundamentally, I'm a man that likes women.

I don't think these authors intended to appeal to men who like women. I don't think that consideration is one that guides their creative processes.

My deliberations on buying shounen or seinen manga, more often than not, are autonomic in comparison. The depth of my thoughts end up being "huh, this looks kinda cool".

Last edited:
Aggregator gang
Her remark is that the "kind" male characters she often sees (and likes) in shounen manga are apparently only fantasy, as she's forced to listen to two boorish guys talk about pursuing women (potentially including her) based on the size of their breasts.

Your guy friends almost certainly "appreciate a plurality of content in daily life, school or work"-- they just don't like romantic movies and shoujo manga, which are explicitly crafted with researched female sensibilities in mind. That's to be expected-- the editors definitely did.

No, I highly doubt this is entirely a matter of bias towards the labels themselves. Take it from a guy who has no bias against romance stories, freely has shoujo manga he likes (and is fully aware that "shoujo" only designates the intended demographic, and that not all shoujo manga is romantic SOL), and additionally reads them as a matter of writing research-- I find some of them dreadfully boring, sometimes categorically more than a dreadfully boring shounen or seinen manga.

There's also the question of what's there for them to be interested in, as men whose interests probably conform to the conventional sense we have of "masculine interests". For example, I impulsively ordered all available English volumes of three shoujo manga because they had heroines that were some combination of androgynous, crossdressing, and tomboyish-- but that's because I like those character features (and to an extent, I like the complexity that the "tomboy" quality can bring to a character and their relationships, when the quality is leveraged in a meaningful way).

Because, fundamentally, I'm a man that likes women.

I don't think these authors intended to appeal to men who like women. I don't think that consideration is one that guides their creative processes.

My deliberations on buying shounen or seinen manga, more often than not, are autonomic in comparison. The depth of my thoughts end up being "huh, this looks kinda cool".

When I said daily life, I mean real daily life, people you see everyday, not internet groups. Sorry for the misunderstanding
🙏

It's very hard to go against what is pushed into our heads of what you should be consuming, what characteristics you should be expecting in content and life itself too.
My frustration its how things are never even presented to people be interested much less appreciate by the reasons said above.
By plurality I was thinking beyond the milieu (story environment/setting). Authors with diverse background and how they present their stories.
Its just sad how the industry keep pushing tendencies, for authors and public, (500 isekai every season, new hero movie every month) to a complete saturation point, squeezing every single drop while the profits don't stop growing. Even the salary slave protags wishing for reincarnation make it pretty evident that no one living a numb life, alienated from itself, getting exhausted from work every day, is ok with the current situation. So many new technologies, much higher productivity but never less working hours. Lots of authors could be creating very unique storys and so on, but yeah 🫠😪
Rip Toriyama-san 🙏

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, thing is: people who do read, watch and consume that kind of stuff don't really go out much in the first place.

We're all in islands of our own, unwilling to venture out and the few that do venture into the sea, hitching a boat or makinh a flimsy canoe of their own, always wonder why they don't find other people stuck on land like they usually are.

Dex-chan lover
I ain't reading Yaoi-heavy Fujobait but I'm curious about Shoujo manga; just dunno how to get into it. Got any reccs?

Come to think of it, I'm trying to collect physical copies of Yona of the Dawn, I'm pretty sure that counts as Shoujo.

Aggregator gang
I ain't reading Yaoi-heavy Fujobait but I'm curious about Shoujo manga; just dunno how to get into it. Got any reccs?

Come to think of it, I'm trying to collect physical copies of Yona of the Dawn, I'm pretty sure that counts as Shoujo.
Easy starting points would be
  • Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shite shimatta...
  • Natsume Yuujinchou

One that I got to know just a couple of weeks ago and really hooked me: Kareshi Tokidoki Kanojo

Fruits Basket
Chihayafuru
Chouyaku Hyakunin Isshu: Uta Koi
Natsuyuki Rendezvous

Given
Suki tte Ii na yo
Kamisama Hajimemashita
Araburu Kisetsu no Otomedomo yo
Kuragehime
Orange
Solanin
Kimi to Boku
Isshuukan Friends
Kimi to Boku
Nagi no Asukara
Sakamichi no Apollon

Precure
and Sailor Moon if you have interest in mahou shoujo.
Many of those has animations and not all of them are strictly shoujo.

I wanna say this I am not really the biggest fan of most shoujou but there are some i do occasionally read nonetheless I know a lot of guys who do read shoujou mahwas or mangas a lot. So idk how you never met one that does read/watch such stuff

Dex-chan lover
Easy starting points would be
  • Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shite shimatta...
  • Natsume Yuujinchou

One that I got to know just a couple of weeks ago and really hooked me: Kareshi Tokidoki Kanojo

Fruits Basket
Chihayafuru
Chouyaku Hyakunin Isshu: Uta Koi
Natsuyuki Rendezvous

Given
Suki tte Ii na yo
Kamisama Hajimemashita
Araburu Kisetsu no Otomedomo yo
Kuragehime
Orange
Solanin
Kimi to Boku
Isshuukan Friends
Kimi to Boku
Nagi no Asukara
Sakamichi no Apollon

Precure
and Sailor Moon if you have interest in mahou shoujo.
Many of those has animations and not all of them are strictly shoujo.
Thanks for the Natsume Yuujinchou recommendation it has been while to read a nice shoujo Again,

Dex-chan lover
To add to the discussion here while not replying to a specific person.

I ironically only meet people who stick to a specific genre/demographic online... My friend group in highschool and college both read a very very wide selection of genres, even me, I personally tend to read more isekai "trash" but that's mainly because it's a decent "turn your brain off" timewaster... I do have the impossible goal of reading/watching everything I can.

Interestingly it's funny and also terrifying when you're a member in a lot of communities... Especially when you're part of clashing communities because I either get "immunity" from attacks or I get attacked by both sides.

Dex-chan lover
Shoujou's pretty good sometimes, especially when they make the protagonist interesting/wacky. Or if its by the numbers its funny snarking at it with friends. Shoujo manga is fun, tho seeing the comments from the target demographic is sometimes...terrifying

Users who are viewing this thread