Shiretto Sugee Koto Iteru Gal: Shiritsu Paranomaru Koukou no Nichijou - Ch. 13 - Clearing a death game like a breeze kinda deal

Dex-chan lover
Sorry for going AWOL the past few months. I took a break to focus on uni exams, and then lost motivation to work on this due to something really, really stupid in this chapter in particular. (If you want to know more, read the wall of text at the end of this comment.) Later on had a nasty bug infestation that shook me up and left me without a place to live for about a week, so hey, it's not 100% my fault! It's actually 25% force majeure, 75% my fault. Now you can't criticize me for being lazy B)

In any case, I've worked on multiple chapters at the same time in the background, and will be releasing one every day for the next few days (no guarantees about the later ones since they're not 100% finished yet). Should be caught up within a week or so. Thank you to the people who wanted to pick this up but respectfully didn't snipe. (I now have linked an e-mail address on my group page so you can actually talk to me should the need arise, didn't realize that I left no methods of communications until now. Oops)

Also thank you to all the people who upvoted my comment admitting that I'm procrastinating on Reddit, thus lighting the fire under me, making me get off my ass and finally finish these chapters

Anyway. I want to rant about the Slaughter witch thing for a moment.
The next few paragraphs are simply me blowing off steam. Do not read it if you value your sanity highly.

The quality of the raws (ripped directly off of the publisher's website, mind you) are not that great (800x1140px by default). So look at this screenshot and tell me, with a straight face, what that first kanji is supposed to be.

v9bjag.png

When I first saw this, I had no idea what the first and third kanji was. The fourth is easy, it's the character for "woman", so that's 2/4 done. XのX女. (though I briefly entertained the possibility of the 3rd and 4th character being one character written in a weird, elongated way.)
Google has a neat feature where you can search for an incomplete sequence by using the asterisk as a wildcard, so you can use an incomplete phrase with an asterisk at the end to see how it ends, for example. But having an asterisk both at the start and in the middle, such as ∗の∗女, doesn't really work. Unless I knew one of the two missing characters, I couldn't Google what that phrase was.

So I sit there, combing through literally every possible combination of kanji it could be, trying to find similar kanji through every radical I can discern, only to draw blanks. I do this for 2-3 hours, pull my hair out, give up and go do something else, come back a few days later only to fail to find anything again. If you wondered where I've been the past 3 months or so, I've primarily been putting off combing through literally every possible combination of kanji this could be for a dozen hours or so. I'm enough of a perfectionist to be dead set on translating this, but not enough of a perfectionist to go willingly put myself through cruel torture like this, which in and of itself is worthy of being in the death game in this chapter.

I ultimately bit the bullet months later and asked for help. With the help of some other people, I found out that the third character is supposed to be a simplified way of writing 魔, thus making the last word 魔女 (witch). Unfortunately, "witch" is still a very general word, so searching for "witch of ∗" (∗の魔女) still won't give any decisive answers, since it's such a general and common phrase. So I still have to comb through kanji for hours. Fun!

I do eventually hit the jackpot and find the correct kanji (鏖, comically obscure), with the search resulting an obscure article talking about a statue that dishes out maths problems (bingo!) in a live-action adaptation of the Gambling Emperor Legend Zero manga. The 2nd next chapter of Shiretto (15) references Kaiji, the mangaka of Zero's previous work. I had never looked into this mangaka's works before, and had no idea what they were about, so had I not investigated what the reference was in chapter 15, and had the Shiretto manga not referenced Kaiji in chapter 15, I would surely have dismissed this random live-action TV show adaptation as nothing. But due to those coincidences, the neurons fired-- it could have a connection to what the right hand is talking about. And it did.

Fuck whoever decided to make the raws this low quality. But I guess they gotta sell volumes somehow, even if it means locking high quality behind volume releases, so actually maybe don't fuck them.

tl;dr don't be perfectionists, kids. do drugs instead. it genuinely ruins your life less than being a perfectionist

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Gotta love death game shenanigans. love how they got free photo sets from the assistant lol

Good luck man, maybe find a typesetter/someone to double check stuff

Dex-chan lover
Imagine if you kidnapped someone for a death game and it turned out they were a retired assassin and they just started hunting the game master that'd be a neat series

Supporter
No one talked about it so i will, this panel goes SO FUCKING HARD, she's opening her eyes after being unconscious but the author designed the lamp to look like the inner part of the eye so it gives both the vibe of her eye opening and the room being seen
453250702_122162123336184608_7759764693545113830_n.png

Group Leader
@roppatsu just a suggestion: on Pg 3, I think "entertainment" would look better with the hyphen on the syllable boundary (i.e. "enter-tainment" rather than awkwardly after the T.
Thanks for the scanlation!

Dex-chan lover
@roppatsu just a suggestion: on Pg 3, I think "entertainment" would look better with the hyphen on the syllable boundary (i.e. "enter-tainment" rather than awkwardly after the T.
Thanks for the scanlation!
oops. little mistakes like improperly cutting the syllables tend to slip through the cracks sometimes
ty for the heads up, fixed

Users who are viewing this thread