Skip and Loafer - Ch. 61 - Maddening District Competition

Dex-chan lover
Shimawank continues.

Ujiie, even if he was being a dick, was right. When you're attractive, extroverted and liked you can get away with a lot more than someone who's not as "gifted." Of course he doesn't understand Shima but it's not like Shima or most of the other characters understand him either and it's like the point of the chapter is to just reinforce Ujiie's views about how "hard work" is a privilege of the attractive. You'd think Mitsumi, of all characters, would try and actually talk to him about it but no, she just screams at him about how he's just being such a buzzkill that I'm surprised she didn't hit him with a "learn to read the room."

Yes, Shima has problems but the default starting point for him still puts him way ahead of someone like Ujiie. I'm sure people will point out "but Mitsumi..." but guess what? Despite her success we've still seen that other people look down on her, especially in regards to her closeness with Shima because she's a less attractive nerd which kind of reinforces his point because she's a good student, StuCo president and is still looked at by others as a mediocre dweeb stepping above her station. She's straight up overheard this stuff so you'd think that she, of all characters, would be sensitive to how Ujiie feels. But I guess not because he so heartlessly and cruelly insulted poor Shima-kun so it's better he just shut up and know his place.

Ujiie definitely could have been more tactful but he's right in that they asked for his opinion and he gave it and "but he's working hard" shouldn't invalidate how he feels. Yes he's judgey of popular/attractive people but it's understandable why given what we've seen of him. It will be interesting to see how he grows and I'm hoping we start getting some progress on him and Yasaka and there's obviously interesting interactions he could have with the likes of Yuzu or Mika. Hell, seeing him and Shima actually talk could have been good. But the author just seems more concerned with propping up Shima even if it means bringing down other characters to do it and the more it happens the more it drags down what's an otherwise great series with a great cast.

It's just a shame seeing them all get tossed aside because now everything has to revolve around the Sadboy.
fair enough

Dex-chan lover
Shimawank continues.

Ujiie, even if he was being a dick, was right. When you're attractive, extroverted and liked you can get away with a lot more than someone who's not as "gifted." Of course he doesn't understand Shima but it's not like Shima or most of the other characters understand him either and it's like the point of the chapter is to just reinforce Ujiie's views about how "hard work" is a privilege of the attractive. You'd think Mitsumi, of all characters, would try and actually talk to him about it but no, she just screams at him about how he's just being such a buzzkill that I'm surprised she didn't hit him with a "learn to read the room."

Yes, Shima has problems but the default starting point for him still puts him way ahead of someone like Ujiie. I'm sure people will point out "but Mitsumi..." but guess what? Despite her success we've still seen that other people look down on her, especially in regards to her closeness with Shima because she's a less attractive nerd which kind of reinforces his point because she's a good student, StuCo president and is still looked at by others as a mediocre dweeb stepping above her station. She's straight up overheard this stuff so you'd think that she, of all characters, would be sensitive to how Ujiie feels. But I guess not because he so heartlessly and cruelly insulted poor Shima-kun so it's better he just shut up and know his place.

Ujiie definitely could have been more tactful but he's right in that they asked for his opinion and he gave it and "but he's working hard" shouldn't invalidate how he feels. Yes he's judgey of popular/attractive people but it's understandable why given what we've seen of him. It will be interesting to see how he grows and I'm hoping we start getting some progress on him and Yasaka and there's obviously interesting interactions he could have with the likes of Yuzu or Mika. Hell, seeing him and Shima actually talk could have been good. But the author just seems more concerned with propping up Shima even if it means bringing down other characters to do it and the more it happens the more it drags down what's an otherwise great series with a great cast.

It's just a shame seeing them all get tossed aside because now everything has to revolve around the Sadboy.
"Ujiie, even if he was being a dick, was right."
he's not, He's wrong about everything. yeah never tried to understand about everything, depite being piece of shit and most boring person, he also snobby knows all type of retarded person.
why would mutsumi tried to understand ujiie when it's black and white situation ? mf make assumption out of thin air, insult someone, and top of that he's don't know anything about acting.
what the fuck you talking about man ?

"Yes, Shima has problems but the default starting point for him still puts him..."
god, you reminds me of that youtuber In praise of shadow. i think you have the same mentality.
because someone Better than you, have better life than you, and liked by everyone. you can slander, tell a Bullshit, and can talk shit for whatever reason is. what an awful mentality, you treat everyone equally as human if you actually decent human being just like mitsumi

" Despite her success we've still seen that other people......"
It's jealousy, it's pretty clear from the start lmao. wtf you talking about ?

"would be sensitive to how Ujiie feels......"
why would she be ? explain

". But I guess not because he so heartlessly and cruelly....."
he is, if he does that to anyone who mitsumi knows she'll acting the same. he's stupid cunt saying stupid shit, it's simple as that.

"Ujiie definitely could have been more tactful but he's right in that they asked for his opinion"
he's not, he's wrong about everything. he's wrong about shima never getting rejected because he's so brain damage he didn't use his brain at all
he's wrong about Shima being arrogant for playing character he can't relate to, what do you think acting are ? did you see someone in movies and assume every actor can relate to their character ?

"but he's working hard shouldn't invalidate how he feel"
No even if he's not working hard you shouldn't invalidates anyone feel ever, wow you talk sociopath.

"Yes he's judgey of popular/attractive people but it's understandable "
it's not, really telling what kind person you are from all the thing you excuses him of. god, would be suck being you.

"seeing him and Shima actually talk could have been good..."
good in what way ? explain

" But the author just seems more concerned with propping up Shima even if it means bringing down other characters"
he's been that way since beginning, he never change. so no, he just suck and boring so the author creating his character are her biggest mistakes

"It's just a shame seeing them all get tossed aside because now everything has to revolve around the Sadboy"
fuckin hell the projection, i guess you are like ujiie in real life lmao. what the actual fuck

Dex-chan lover
These twitter threads are good analysis of this chapter:
Link 3

Oh, yes.
The Frankenstein "MONSTER" is "HUMAN".

i'm not frustated, i just think ujiie is a dogshit boring character so far and i didn't know what the author trying to cook here introducing him when we can spent the time developing the others.

Yes, Ujiie is CHARACTER, a PERSONAGE, a bit of the STORYtelling.
Sometimes not liking a character is what makes it "good".

Dex-chan lover

Of course Mitsumi will get mad at him.
It's not about what he said, being right or wrong, understanding him or not, it's just about not being a dick! Can you imagine Mitsumi saying anything to anyone knowing that it will hurt and saying specially because she knows it'll hurt?

Shimawank continues.

His comment and the irony of Shima being the monster is totally valid. Although, I'm pretty sure Mitsumi does understand where Ujie is coming from but it shouldn't be a surprise why she handled it that way.

Mitsumi gets angry because that's HER close friend. Moreso than that, she didn't side with Ujie because—while yes, they both don't have pretty privilege and have similar experiences—Mitsumi has empathy and knows that there is more to people than what they let on. And seeing as it seems Ujie hasn't been particularly helpful with their committee work specifically because of his prejudices, her just popping off is pretty understandable yk 😭

Shima's character arc is still not finished, so it makes sense that the author is still building it up. He IS the deuteragonist of the story...

Dex-chan lover
Yes, Ujiie is CHARACTER, a PERSONAGE, a bit of the STORYtelling.
Sometimes not liking a character is what makes it "good".
yes making boring character that stand still most of the time and does nothing and nothing change of him, and when he's open his retarded shaped mouth nothing but terrible garbage
truly a good character, it's not like we have several other character that actually good and interesting even if they are antagonistic.

tell me why he's a good character, not in moral or anything. but actually good and interesting written character.
i'll wait

Fed-Kun's army
yes making boring character that stand still most of the time and does nothing and nothing change of him, and when he's open his retarded shaped mouth nothing but terrible garbage
you have to wait for development man, its obvious he hasnt changed his views yet! i dont know why you hate him so much? calm down
him and shima are different yet, have similarities, and this chapter shows shimas growth, as someone who cant speak out his mind or real thinking to someone who can do it, and he could have let that moment pass but he goes to ujie to tell him he IS working hard. ujie doesnt carefully say what he thinks, is an asshole, but you can see why he thinks like this; which is why the first pages exists -and remember his self-steem issues- this doesnt make what he said right or wrong (also shima ends up agreeing with him lol) not everything is a black or white mentality. he clearly needs room to growth. idk i think u just should go back a few chapters

Dex-chan lover
you have to wait for development man, its obvious he hasnt changed his views yet! i dont know why you hate him so much? calm down
him and shima are different yet, have similarities, and this chapter shows shimas growth, as someone who cant speak out his mind or real thinking to someone who can do it, and he could have let that moment pass but he goes to ujie to tell him he IS working hard. ujie doesnt carefully say what he thinks, is an asshole, but you can see why he thinks like this; which is why the first pages exists -and remember his self-steem issues- this doesnt make what he said right or wrong (also shima ends up agreeing with him lol) not everything is a black or white mentality. he clearly needs room to growth. idk i think u just should go back a few chapters
"you have to wait for development man....."
for how long ? 50 more chapter ? yeah sure.

" dont know why you hate him so much? calm down"
oh i don't know, as if i haven't say everything terrible about him many times on this comment section. calm down what ? please enlighten how should i voice my exact criticsm in manner you deemed "calm"
i'll wait for it.

"have similarities"
pray tell

" and this chapter shows shimas growth"
oh i don't know as if we doesn't follow shima for litterally 61 chapter and see him growing. why does so many of you acting like it's some kind of revelation ? we know, for a while now

"but you can see why he thinks like this"
i don't, just because people does terrible thing around me doesn't mean i have to do same thing.

"and remember his self-steem issues"
aaah, the classic i have problem therefore i can be asshole and never change.

"also shima ends up agreeing with him lol"
that's exactly what im saying idk what the author cooking, he's wrong 100% and somehow "it's A OKAY". you see now, horribly written character seeps into the other. hmmm i wonder why i hate ujiie ? oh i wonder.

"not everything is a black or white mentality"
well it is this time, tell me why it's not black and white ? i'll wait

"idk i think u just should go back a few chapters"
oh please please, enlighten me. which chapter i should go back to change my mind ?

Dex-chan lover
Heh, this chapter really struck a chord with many people. What a lively discussion here.
I personally would stick to the opinion that Ujiie is wrong here. It's very reductive and juvenile to just say that a conventionally attractive person has it all oh so easy. And it's fine for Ujiie to think that, he's still a kid. But i find that once you grow up and become at peace with yourself, grow some confidence and gain life experience, you stop judging "pretty" people with such vitriol. Sure, being handsome/pretty is useful in many ways. I don't deny that. But for the most part, it's the other things that matter - your personality, your skills, your knowledge and connections.
Ujiie is very frustrating to watch here. It's a very familiar picture of a "not conventionally attractive" person being bitter at everyone else and thinking themselves superior since in their eyes they are not so shallow. Which, of course, is quite the opposite.

Shimawank continues.

nah man.

Uji-boy starts with the observation that some people can get away with being mean and others cannot. Whereas someone like Mitsumi would step-up and denounce the attractive assholes overstepping, Uji-chump just tries to be mean as well and get away with it. I get that he's annoyed by this social phenomenon but I also think it makes sens Mitsumi isn't on board with his "taste of there own medicine" reaction to this. It fits both characters.

Besides that it makes sense characterwise, him not really considering popular people to be human (probably think they lack empathy after his observations) isn't really lacking tact. My guy was mean on purpose because he doesn't think he can hurt them.

Double-page supporter
every chapter is fulfilling! every chapter leaves me with a lighter heart! every chapter reminds me of our shared humanity, whether it be in the big or small actions and decisions we make! what a perfect representation of coming of age stories & slice of life storytelling. what a beautiful manga!!!

thank you for the update! my day is better having read this :)

Personally, I can’t get myself to be upset at Ujiie this chapter. He’s just a kid with a lot to learn, and everyone has misconceptions. He doesn’t know Shima, so he shouldn’t presume such things, but everyone does those sort of judgements toward strangers in small doses online, in traffic, at the store, what have you. Especially when you’re young and you still have a lot to learn.

Standing up for yourself is really difficult when you doing so usually backfires. It’s a strong character trait to have, even if he is in the wrong, he’s honest and not a coward.

I’m excited to see where his development goes! And his dynamic with Mitsumi is entertaining. I’m glad she had a bud she can safely butt heads with sometimes.

Last edited:
Aggregator gang
"you have to wait for development man....."
for how long ? 50 more chapter ? yeah sure.

" dont know why you hate him so much? calm down"
oh i don't know, as if i haven't say everything terrible about him many times on this comment section. calm down what ? please enlighten how should i voice my exact criticsm in manner you deemed "calm"
i'll wait for it.

"have similarities"
pray tell

" and this chapter shows shimas growth"
oh i don't know as if we doesn't follow shima for litterally 61 chapter and see him growing. why does so many of you acting like it's some kind of revelation ? we know, for a while now

"but you can see why he thinks like this"
i don't, just because people does terrible thing around me doesn't mean i have to do same thing.

"and remember his self-steem issues"
aaah, the classic i have problem therefore i can be asshole and never change.

"also shima ends up agreeing with him lol"
that's exactly what im saying idk what the author cooking, he's wrong 100% and somehow "it's A OKAY". you see now, horribly written character seeps into the other. hmmm i wonder why i hate ujiie ? oh i wonder.

"not everything is a black or white mentality"
well it is this time, tell me why it's not black and white ? i'll wait

"idk i think u just should go back a few chapters"
oh please please, enlighten me. which chapter i should go back to change my mind ?
There's no way you're above the age of 16

eh idk about that. this retard always a sore loser from the very first time we see him and he doesn't change at all.
also he's wrong about everything, first he's saying stuff out of his ass that wasn't true at all and second
it's moronic that he think people unable to act as the character if they can't relate to said character, it's called "acting" in first place. it's true for theater and it's true for movie

idk what author trying to cook but he's probably the most boring character so far
I do agree he's a sore loser, he obviously projects his insecurities and arrogance onto "good looking people", specifically on Shima in this chapter. Although I must disagree with you on the fact that Ujiie is the most boring. He is right to an extent when it comes to the description of "two kinds of people"; not only through his own experience does he suffer with this hypocrisy, and if I add my own experience into it (which makes me empathize with this guy although I don't like him), he sees how certain structures of power come in freely on pure appearance, hence his comment about how some people can get away with things and others can't. Of course the remarks of others and their treatment towards him makes him bitter, therefore he becomes unsociable and mean towards them, and this obviously doesn't justify how shitty he is but I just relate to the resentment. As a teenager, he doesn't know how to manage this bitterness and shitty attitude, but when he starts to see the humanity on others, as well as seeing how his own faults don't necessarily lead to rejection or failure, he's learning little by little how to change.

I think his character is refreshing to see, because the teenage angst does exist and manifests in different ways. What I like about him is that he doesn't even see himself as a sort of hero of the "rejected people" but he just projects and is so stubborn to see how much of an asshole he is, because in his mind, he doesn't care that he's "wrong" in the eyes of others, rather he is stuck in his own logic to justify his actions lol.

I still fucking hate him tho.

Dex-chan lover
I do agree he's a sore loser, he obviously projects his insecurities and arrogance onto "good looking people", specifically on Shima in this chapter. Although I must disagree with you on the fact that Ujiie is the most boring. He is right to an extent when it comes to the description of "two kinds of people"; not only through his own experience does he suffer with this hypocrisy, and if I add my own experience into it (which makes me empathize with this guy although I don't like him), he sees how certain structures of power come in freely on pure appearance, hence his comment about how some people can get away with things and others can't. Of course the remarks of others and their treatment towards him makes him bitter, therefore he becomes unsociable and mean towards them, and this obviously doesn't justify how shitty he is but I just relate to the resentment. As a teenager, he doesn't know how to manage this bitterness and shitty attitude, but when he starts to see the humanity on others, as well as seeing how his own faults don't necessarily lead to rejection or failure, he's learning little by little how to change.

I think his character is refreshing to see, because the teenage angst does exist and manifests in different ways. What I like about him is that he doesn't even see himself as a sort of hero of the "rejected people" but he just projects and is so stubborn to see how much of an asshole he is, because in his mind, he doesn't care that he's "wrong" in the eyes of others, rather he is stuck in his own logic to justify his actions lol.

I still fucking hate him tho.
we already learned that, through mitsumi about prejudice so he add nothing and does nothing.
well that's not what takes he got from his experience, his takes spesificaly "it doesn't matter if someone worked hard, you can absolutely belittle them"
lmao he's not learned anything all he said "shima have human emotion" and thats it, he doesn't even reflect what's wrong with him in inner monologue let alone on actual speech. don't give me "he learned", it's an absolute BS
he didn't change at all.

eh it wasn't, he's waste of space that provide nothing and really a boring character. i would prefer if he's potrayed as pure evil and piece of shit but we know the author too coward to do that.
no he's himself as a hero, he even said that he felt superior above all people. what are you talking about man ?
hence why i called him retarded and boring

Aggregator gang
He's a bitter ugly friend who's insecure about himself and is doing absolutely nothing to change that. At least Shima is introspective.

Dex-chan lover
He's a bitter ugly friend who's insecure about himself and is doing absolutely nothing to change that. At least Shima is introspective.
I'd say that trying to be on the student council and telling Mitsumi he's interested in Yasaka is trying to change a little. But his problems are deep seated and not going to be resolved easily. Hell, you can see right at the start of this chapter that the people who bitched at him about not making fun of/criticizing someone for "working hard" (and the guy he laughed at) were all the exact same people who were making fun of the less popular girl's acting.

He's an unpopular, unattractive geek who's experienced first hand how hypocritical others are and how differently people are treated for something like their physical appearance or not fitting in with a group. Shima, again, has his own problems but Ujiie is right in that he doesn't have to worry about others rejecting him in the same way Ujiie does because his looks mean that people are generally, as far as he can see, going to give him a pass on things or want to be around him.

But that's why I think some interaction between Ujiie and Mika could be interesting as Mika was in a similar situation and managed to change and better herself socially, though at the expense of becoming (until her friendship with Mitsumi/Yuzu/Makoto) similar to the people who made her and people like Ujiie miserable. And that's why I'm interested in seeing how he and Yasaka develop because Yasaka, probably even moreso than Shima, blows all of his preconceptions out of the water. She's pretty, guys fawn over but she lacks real connections with people and is miserable because of it and has to deal with poor treatment from other girls.

Users who are viewing this thread