Solo Leveling - Vol. 2 Ch. 179 - [Season 2 End]

Dex-chan lover
Oh boy rant time.

I just reread this entire thing and I got to say the pacing is a lot lot worse when you don't forget half of it while waiting weeks for the next one chapter.
After my first read this was a strong 8/10 but now I'd say its a 6/10 at best this really isnt even much of a story its just black hair korean man punching his way through flavor of the week random monsters until he can kill god.

It started out strong with the author laying the sob story on thick showing us how much of a weak sack of shit he is and seeing how he worked hard to get stronger was nice it made sense and felt like a real progression.
But then the entire "leveling up" part ate shit 50 chapters in when his growth speed and power level was already so far outside any frame of reference that it was basically meaningless to the reader.
Like what is the difference between a "3 god killing punch" and a "4 god killing punch"?
We went from real progression to 100 chapters of just killing everything that shows up no problem.
By the time the national level bozos show up they are already lowly goons that pose no threat what a waste.

The world building is utter dogshit we are told almost nothing.
Basically the only countries that exist are america, korea and japan.
Like how are wars fought now that hunters exist? Are wars still fought at all? One thing that should be really important to this south korean story WHAT IS NORTH KOREA DOING RIGHT NOW????
What about all the civil wars in unstable countries?
What happens if a portal just shows up in the middle of the saharan desert?
How did they ever even beat the first dungeons when you apparently cant do anything without mana weapons?
Why hasnt anybody made mana bullet pistols yet???????? Because "uhh modern technology no worky in portals XD" but crossbows somehow still work yeah right, as if that was an excuse for the military to not develop anti-monster weapons for dungeon breaks.
Like unless they are top S-rank they arent gonna be punching harder than a pistol you just cant beat that force per area even end of story jin-woo likely couldnt hit harder than a howitzer.
Why did liu zhigang do absolutely nothing till the end??
WHY DIDNT THEY JUST FUCKING CARPET BOMB OR BETTER YET NUKE THE ANT ISLAND??????
I DONT CARE WHAT LEVEL YOUR DUNGEON IS YOU ARENT GONNA SURVIVE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN

The last arc (or more like last half) was rushed as all hell and dont even get me started on this atrocious fucking ending.
Jin-woo is basically god at this point. Hes the lord of the dead and the strongest of the dead gods angels. Hes basically the head honcho.
So what does he do with this literal god like power? Absolutely nothing.
He comes back to earth and goes to fucking school as if the literal god of the dead would need to learn fucking trigonometry and earth politics.
As if anything was fucking fixed by turning back time and returning the world to a normal state AS IF MODERN DAY EARTH WAS IN ANY WAY PERFECT.
Yeah sure hes immortal and there is gonna be a time relatively soon when he cant live as a normal human anymore and maybe then he will get off his ass and do something after billions have died and suffered but thats a serious fucking mark on his character it shows an utter lack of responsibility, self awareness and compassion.
He has the power to shape the world to his liking RIGHT NOW but he does nothing as millions suffer.

Imagine when this piece of shit goes grocery shopping and sees an advert about starving children knowing damn well he could snap his fingers and change the world but he just goes "not my problem lmaooo".
Like in the grand scheme of things jin-woo has achieved jack shit. If the monarchs fucked up earth again the rulers would have just turned back time once more(probably the last time they could but you get the point).
At no point in the story did he ever seem sad or regretful about the life he has lived and the path he took so him just suddenly going WAAAHHHH WAAAHHH I WANNA LIVE A NORMAL LIFE FOR NO REASON NOW WAAAAHHHHH is super out of character.

Overall this felt severely lacking with all the meat being used early on with the second half just being an onslaught of meaningless spectacle fights.
For korean longstrip standards this might actually be a masterpiece but its such a waste man.

Dex-chan lover
Why hasnt anybody made mana bullet pistols yet???????? Because "uhh modern technology no worky in portals XD" but crossbows somehow still work yeah right, as if that was an excuse for the military to not develop anti-monster weapons for dungeon breaks.
I believe I saw a hunter with a gun in the background in one of the earlier chapters, like when Sung worked as a porter.
But yes, that whole "nuh-huh mana weapons only" schtick is absolutely ridiculous, if inevitable given the story premise.

WHY DIDNT THEY JUST FUCKING CARPET BOMB OR BETTER YET NUKE THE ANT ISLAND??????
I DONT CARE WHAT LEVEL YOUR DUNGEON IS YOU ARENT GONNA SURVIVE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN
Nuh-huh the nuke is not magical you see. Developing magic nukes is also verboten. Magic swords on a missile, Hellfire R9X-style? Nope. Magic metal in infantry ammo or artillery fragmentation shells? Nada.
All of this would undermine the basic idea of the work: "hurrrr-durrrrr so MMORPG guilds and raiding, except in real life".

So what does he do with this literal god like power? Absolutely nothing.
He comes back to earth and goes to fucking school as if the literal god of the dead would need to learn fucking trigonometry and earth politics.
As if anything was fucking fixed by turning back time and returning the world to a normal state AS IF MODERN DAY EARTH WAS IN ANY WAY PERFECT.
You know, while I agree with most of your points, this one is an exception. It'd be trivial for Sung to change the world, sure. The issue is making the world better, not worse, in the long term. I mean, the French when they started the revolution fought for liberty, equality, and fraternity, and ended up with mass terror and the guillotine. I'm sure you can think of dozens of other similar examples in history. So it makes perfect sense for the guy, especially traumatized by decades of non-stop fighting, to want to live a quiet life, at least for a while.

Overall this felt severely lacking with all the meat being used early on with the second half just being an onslaught of meaningless spectacle fights.
For korean longstrip standards this might actually be a masterpiece but its such a waste man.
Yep, overall, it's rather disappointing - although I guess it's targeted at the juniour teen audience, so spectacular fights instead of reasonable discourse might seem like a given.

Dex-chan lover
Feels rushed?

Try being in the process of DYING while drawing the last couple of stretches of this story arc... Yea.. Thats why its rushed. Man kicked the bucket not long after too... God rest his soul.

Dex-chan lover
Ok just binged everything after watching the second episode of the anime (kept telling myself one more chapters lol) and it's.... Eh?
Definitely overrated BY a large margin, but it's not a bad manhwa in terms of entertainment, It's enjoyable but disappointing.
Basically the story was "ok" from the start then went to shit after introducing the monarchs and the rulers, not that their concept is bad. No it's a nice concept but they handled it well.
My biggest disappointment is deleting the rpg game system and the underwhelming architect thing.
The only thing that kept me coming back is the phenomenal art (rest in peace Dubu) and the ARISE thing which never got old.
So in conclusion... ARISEbros... It was ok.

Ok just binged everything after watching the second episode of the anime (kept telling myself one more chapters lol) and it's.... Eh?
Definitely overrated BY a large margin, but it's not a bad manhwa in terms of entertainment, It's enjoyable but disappointing.
Basically the story was "ok" from the start then went to shit after introducing the monarchs and the rulers, not that their concept is bad. No it's a nice concept but they handled it well.
My biggest disappointment is deleting the rpg game system and the underwhelming architect thing.
The only thing that kept me coming back is the phenomenal art (rest in peace Dubu) and the ARISE thing which never got old.
So in conclusion... ARISEbros... It was ok.
literally me i watched the 2 first anime eps then finished the mangwa in a day and a half lmao

literally me i watched the 2 first anime eps then finished the mangwa in a day and a half lmao
took me a couple extra days but same.

yeeeeeaaaaah the plot fell through the score and the power scaling went through the roof, but i'm very excited to see some of these scenes animated

Dex-chan lover
"The black hair korean dude punching his way through flavor of the week random monsters until he can kill god."
Can't summarize better.

It was fun from time to time to read it, but I don't get WHY and HOW this middest manhwa that exist could make scanlations website bugged and crash at its peak.

Yeah I've pogged on front of some scenes and shit with very classic tropes (because classic tropes are nice), but yeah overall it was MID AF.

Korean prods sure can't compare with Japan productions

People really used to follow it weekly and still be hyped, they sure got a great volution for that

Users who are viewing this thread