Solo Leveling

Dex-chan lover
@lookdeath doesn't change anything, having a score of 10/10 doesn't mean that it's perfect. Giving a score of 10/10 just means that it checks good in someone's standards.

For example, in school, when two students get A+ in their projects doesn't mean that those students did a job of equal value, it just means that both of them could satisfy the teachers rubric.
Other example is how two boxers can be world champions at the same time, they are both the best boxers, the difference is that one of them is the best in a heavier and slower weight, and the other is the best in a fast and lighter weight.

You thinking that 10/10 is perfect, means that you yourself have an idea of what a perfect manhwa is. And that is not exactly objective, since as humans we can't really understand true perfection.

I'll put myself as a last example. To me, a manga that scores 10/10 has to do these things:
1.- Make me laugh every now and then. (even just making me smirk is enough)
2.- Make me want to cry at least once (even if it doesn't actually makes me tear up)
3.- Make me want to continue reading even after watching a painful or depressing event happen in it (especially if it's more than once)
4.- After pausing for a moment, I still want to think in "what if" situations
5.- Has at least one or two moral messages for the reader (if they are subtle or obvious will depend on the genre)
6.- The world building is good enough to keep me interested, without counting the characters
7.- The characters are good enough to keep me interested, without considering the world building
8.- It gives me room to think, reflect and make theories.
9.- Makes me want to discuss it with others
10.- Makes me feel immersed and just in general care what happens to the characters, especially to the secondary and support characters.

Now I'm not saying that Solo Leveling has everything I said. I'm just showing you what are the requirements I have for a story to have a 10/10 from me, and for sure you will have a different opinion and different requirements. Being objective doesn't mean having the same logic than the rest, it just means having a clear and well defined idea why we like or prefer some things over others. And that in itself is subjective. These two concepts don't contradict each other and aren't even really opposite.

Sorry for the little essay.

God I hope they use the best animation studio to make the anime they'll OBVIOUSLY going to make.

@HaikenEdge

i wonder the same, Did another translator group get purged?

at least i have read the entire series, so im kinda good, and do not really need the missing chapters {am now at the last uploaded one}

@darknessblade @HaikenEdge

Basically a translator posted a comment in a another series general comments that he was translating and a mod thought the comment was spoiler-ish. Mod made an edit to the comment (don’t know what they did to edit specifically). Translator got angry about it claiming its not a spoiler and said if you touch my comments again i am leaving and taking everything i worked on with me. Well the Translator took his stuff down and it looks like he worked in the Solo leveling scan chapters so they got pulled.

Edit for clarification.

@ShadowAlpha
If that's the case, it sounds more like excuse to leave than anything. Anyway Solo, Siscon has 3 more groups working on it, lol.

@lookdeath I do not think you are aware of what the definition of what a Rating is. A Rating is a classification or ranking of someone or something based on a comparative assessment of their quality, standard, or performance. In other words an opinion and in case you are unsure an opinion means a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge. Therefore the rating is arbitrary and meaningless, what is good for you does might not always be good for me and what is good for me might not always be good for you. That is why there is more than one author in the world, so we have choice. So, stop wasting your time wasting our time wasting my time about the meaning of something we all have and that all stink.

@aiMite

I’ve seen a copy of the Original unedited post and subsequent argument and while i agree that the name of the manga itself was a huge spoiler too his post was just as bad and should have been in a spoiler tag even just to be safe really so I personally agree that it should have been edited.

Hey, I just want to say that I just can't access chapter 119. I don't know why and it only happens with this specific chapter.

@404chaos

Yeah its a little ridiculous to get that upset over it, especially cause its only a single person you have an issue with and you do something that.... honestly doesn’t do anything to that person. It feels like they pulled that move in order to get readers angry and say “its not my fault its the mod’s get angry at them.” Unfortunatly it seems more that this move backfired.

@garmonna
Therefore the rating is arbitrary and meaningless, what is good for you does might not always be good for me and what is good for me might not always be good for you. That is why there is more than one author in the world, so we have choice

This is actually some sort of wrong perception. First of all, writing counts as a sort of artistic pass-time, it is art created by the individual, not a product to sooth the needs of the masses.
So by general terminology an author is an artist working purely for the sake of his artistic expression.
However, this doesn't include works created by a company for the sake of making money, as we see in the Manga industry nowadays where editors of a company make adjustments to meet the wishes of the audience. In this case it's no longer art but an entertainment product, produced solely for the sake of making money,and in which case the author is no longer the author, but sort of a worker working at the beginning of an industrial production line,forming the initial shape of the end product.

So in case we talk about authors, they don't create stories for an audience but for their own sake [i.e. the need for artistic expression], while a company produces a story for the sake of revenue,with adjustments made everywhere to appeal the biggest possible audience. We can see this phenomenon especially well in the music industry where most songs are composed by a few composers and then performed by different singers to net in the greatest revenue through extensive human manipulation (both in terms of how the music is composed and in terms of propaganda through television and radio). That music you have in the "charts" has no artistic value, it's a bland product made to sell to people with a low artistic standard.

So, the reason why there are different authors is because different people express their artistic desires differently. That's also why people with a higher artistic sense tend to criticize the story more harshly, since it differs too much from their own expectations as to how the story should unfold.
The authors don't create stories for us to choose. Not even the industry creates stories for us to choose. They create from statistics what they think will sell best. If only one type of story keeps selling, they would abandon all other story types in the blink of an eye to get a share from the market.

Dex-chan lover
@ShadowAlpha The way that they do things as a mod team here is a bit heavy-handed, though. I've had a couple comments forcefully spoiler-tagged that contained absolutely no spoilers, just because I was theorizing things. They also just slam you with it and then send you a notification basically wagging their finger at you telling you that you've been bad, which frankly is rather irritating. The worst part about it is that a single person makes the determination, and they can choose to be as whimsical as they want with how they hit you with it. I frankly don't blame the translator pulling his stuff, if this was the case. There is no "just to be safe", it's either a spoiler directly talking about what happens as fact that hasn't already been revealed (such as in the title of a series), or it's not; simple as that.

@Amariithynar

While i agree it can suck to have your posts edited its not like getting spoiler tag has somehow deleted your post and your work. It just means its now a choice if people want to see it or not, which maybe thats the issue for you and you want people to see it. Then after you got edited you should keep the tag and just add something before hand to entice people to read. And yes theorizing can be spoiler territory based on what you are theorizing and how. And no, there is very much “just to be safe” and 2 reasons come to mind easily right off the bat. First the Mods are human and don’t know everything about every manga here on the site, as such they have to make decisions based on what is present in the post itself. This means that sure you could put up a theory that is an AU about a minor character that was displayed once in a single panel of a chapter but if it looks like it be a spoiler to someone and with the fact they have to mod how many thousand of comments each day its often easier and generally safer to add the tag and move on. This leads i to the second reason, which is that what is a spoiler can be, to a degree, subjective. Based on where other people might be in reading the series that “minor” plot point you find to not be a spoiler might be a much bigger detail to someone starting out (which is why the comment sections for each individual chapter are so useful). This chapter section is also the place to discuss specific plot points, a point i have seen multiple mods make. All in all it boils down to a simple process in my mind, if you mention ANY specific plot points to a manga’s story but don’t include spoilers you are leaving yourself open to moderation.

Edit: clarification.

Dex-chan lover
@ShadowAlpha No, 100% you're wrong that theorizing can be a spoiler. A spoiler is ONLY talking about factual events that happen in the future, like the infamous "Snape kills Dumbledore!" spoiler screamed at the lineup waiting to get their copy of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, or the so-infamous-a-website-was-named-for-it-back-in-the-days-of-the-old-internet, "Aeris dies", in FFVII. If your theorizing happens to align with what the author in fact wrote, then you just happened to be on the ball and made a correct guess based on the factors at hand that led you to the theory in the first place. That's it.

You're also 100% wrong in attempting to rebut "there is no 'just be safe'" because no, there is no "just be safe" when it comes to spoilers; they aren't in shades of gray, they're black and white. If a mod cannot do the basic job of confirming if something is in fact a spoiler, then slapping it with a spoiler and handing out a warning IS WRONG. PERIOD. Certainly you can self-censor to avoid more heavy-handed censorship, but being forced to not speak out of fear of being falsely maligned is WRONG.

A spoiler CANNOT be subjective, either; personal feelings, opinions, and emotions have NOTHING to do with whether or not someone is speaking about something that factually happens later in a work than is currently available. A person can be behind on a work and thus it is still a spoiler for them because they aren't up to date, but that is NOT a subjective thing- and if they're behind the most recent releases, then they shouldn't be frequenting discussion areas like comments sections that discuss the latest goings-on if they don't want to be spoiled. It is the duty of the one avoiding being spoiled by already-released content not to go where they will be spoiled, NOT the duty of the masses to not talk about what has happened in the past already.

Just because shitty mods abuse the system and shitty people support their abuse doesn't make it right.

@Amariithynar

Did i say a theory could be a spoiler? No i said theorizing because To build a theory requires evidence and sources otherwise you are just throwing around wild unfounded ideas. Those sources and evidence you include are the part that can be spoilers and while the entire thing may not need to be marked spoilers those sources can and should be tagged.

You expect every mod to have the time or previous knowledge about every manga on the site, sounds like you have unrealistic expectations. I don’t profess to know but i am going under the assumption that the mods are’t paid workers and thus are doing thin in their free time (i.e. they have jobs and a life away from the site), so i choose to keep human expectations of the mods.

I will ceed the point that a person who is behind should avoid places where spoilers are, which is why i would direct them away from chapter discussions. Not everyone who goes to the general comments section is looking to discuss the latest chapter, our current conversation being a perfect example. I could easily be discussing something and because this is not just a one on one Private conversation and because people could be posting something that was JUST released there is sill the onus of others to include spoiler tags.

Finally no one is censoring you, we were not talking about deleting people’s comments or even preventing them from posting at all, both are what i would consider censorship. No we were talking about people either taking discussions to the most appropriate places or use a simple tags to show some basic and simple respect to other readers.

Users who are viewing this thread