Sousou no Frieren - Ch. 131 - Escape

What I see is that the possibility of the magic system being put upside down has never been higher before. Through the mecanism that used Übel to beat Sense's clone or by Neu's technique. Which means, when Serie will be there for the Foundation festival, the chance of her getting murdered are more than high now.

Without saying that:
  • new humanity's spell are NEW NEW for the elves (cf. Zoltraak)
  • Frieren's high magic is yet to be explained (is that related to Neu's technique?)
  • Serie's prediction about human mage becoming life threatening

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
I live in a world where we had Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy and Spain, and currently have North Korea, the Russian Federation, and West Taiwan to rapidly name a handful of entrenched and historical dictatorships, while two cults battle it out for supremacy over the seat of ultimate power. Embezzlement, corruption, and jockying for authority while also appearing harmless are the foundation of success in them

you definitely dont have any deep History foundation considering that people were criticizing this plot the second it started this spy subplot for being "Freiren vs Generic WW2 Evil nation". Its particularly bad having podcasted through World War 2's The War Against Humanity series on youtube because, other then the assassination squad Freiren talked into retirement in the first chapter of this arc, The Northern Empire has been shown to be structured, organized, and operating exactly as The Angry Mustache Model's nation did.
Yall are making a lot of assumptions here about the Empire just because they have and assassination force and secret police. One of the core mysteries of this arc is "why" they're doing this and yall are acting like it a foregone conclusion and making wild assumptions about how the county functions to justify it. This arc has only be going for like, 7 chapters. It's barely started. We don't know shit. Be patient and engage with the story on its terms please.

Double-page supporter
You are legit making no sense at all, not surprising coming from someone who openly says something as embarrassing as "having podcasted" as if this gave you any credibility.

And all these states had/have intelligence agencies/secret police forces that do not take lightly any aggression against the state interests. By comparing the Empire shown in Frieren's to them, you are simply proving me right, it is surprising that you can't realize this.

What is "West Taiwan"? I know only about one Taiwan. Yeah, you really do live in a bizarro world. Worrying.

Tell me what would happen to you if you were caught in Nazi Germany acting as a foreign agent. Would the SS just let you run away like what happened in this chapter? Of course not.

Also note that state authoritarianism didn't start on the 20th century, by having only WW2 powers as references for it, you are the one displaying a lack of "deep history foundation". Instead of "podcasting", you should study from better sources. Any powerful kingdom or empire from before the modern era would display similar traits.

These traits are not exclusive to dictatorships. I live in a democratic country and yet my country is considered to be one of the most corrupt in the world. Embezzlement is something done openly by politicians here since it goes unpunished.

Lastly, there is no point in drawing parallels with our world history, you can't affirm or dismiss a fantasy setting by doing that. The author has been establishing how the Empire works for a while now and so far did a good job, we can discuss purely with the information present in the manga itself, going "but muh WW2 states" is completely irrelevant and unrelated to the debate. What matters is what the manga shows, not real life. And if you insist on going there, this escape wouldn't have worked in real life. When people get jailed, they are searched for weapons and if they are carrying any, it is taken from them. Mages are walking weapons, they are dangerous, when you capture one, it makes absolutely no sense to conduct them like that, as I explained in my first comment.

I'm not wasting any more time debating someone who is incapable of following coherent lines of thought. Even making sense of your comments is hard. Go again appease to your emotional responses by "striking" whatever you don't like instead of engaging in well reasoned discourse, as it is easier to do that than to come up with solid arguments. You failed in justifying yourself.
I think you're expecting too much from the Empire here. Both of their Magics were technically sealed, and as far as the Empire knew no one could break out of those seals. Ubel is such a fucking anomaly that its throwing them for a loop. You can't reasonably preempt something like that.

Double-page supporter
You are legit making no sense at all, not surprising coming from someone who openly says something as embarrassing as "having podcasted" as if this gave you any credibility.

And all these states had/have intelligence agencies/secret police forces that do not take lightly any aggression against the state interests. By comparing the Empire shown in Frieren's to them, you are simply proving me right, it is surprising that you can't realize this.

What is "West Taiwan"? I know only about one Taiwan. Yeah, you really do live in a bizarro world. Worrying.

Tell me what would happen to you if you were caught in Nazi Germany acting as a foreign agent. Would the SS just let you run away like what happened in this chapter? Of course not.

Also note that state authoritarianism didn't start on the 20th century, by having only WW2 powers as references for it, you are the one displaying a lack of "deep history foundation". Instead of "podcasting", you should study from better sources. Any powerful kingdom or empire from before the modern era would display similar traits.

These traits are not exclusive to dictatorships. I live in a democratic country and yet my country is considered to be one of the most corrupt in the world. Embezzlement is something done openly by politicians here since it goes unpunished.

Lastly, there is no point in drawing parallels with our world history, you can't affirm or dismiss a fantasy setting by doing that. The author has been establishing how the Empire works for a while now and so far did a good job, we can discuss purely with the information present in the manga itself, going "but muh WW2 states" is completely irrelevant and unrelated to the debate. What matters is what the manga shows, not real life. And if you insist on going there, this escape wouldn't have worked in real life. When people get jailed, they are searched for weapons and if they are carrying any, it is taken from them. Mages are walking weapons, they are dangerous, when you capture one, it makes absolutely no sense to conduct them like that, as I explained in my first comment.

I'm not wasting any more time debating someone who is incapable of following coherent lines of thought. Even making sense of your comments is hard. Go again appease to your emotional responses by "striking" whatever you don't like instead of engaging in well reasoned discourse, as it is easier to do that than to come up with solid arguments. You failed in justifying yourself.
I think you're expecting too much from the Empire here. Both of their Magics were technically sealed, and as far as the Empire knew no one could break out of those seals. Ubel is such a fucking anomaly that its throwing them for a loop. You can't reasonably preempt something like that.

Dex-chan lover
Yall are making a lot of assumptions here about the Empire just because they have and assassination force and secret police. One of the core mysteries of this arc is "why" they're doing this and yall are acting like it a foregone conclusion and making wild assumptions about how the county functions to justify it. This arc has only be going for like, 7 chapters. It's barely started. We don't know shit. Be patient and engage with the story on its terms please.
its moreso the historic revisionism and the shadow council interpreting vague dictates from the throne then the assassination force, the observed secret police, and the stated secret police that leads me to specific interpretation here. Exactly why does the government need plausible deniability to kill the world's most famous murderhobo and the person everyone hates but they have to tolerate because shes also the world superpower? Especially in a world without reliable and efficient long distance communication.

I had trouble following this chapter. It makes no sense for when capturing high profile threats to leave them together and unsupervised. Usually you would separate and keep them under watch. It would also be wise to move them somewhere like their HQ, not some random useless tower conveniently placed. The targets fucking fly, no reason to put them so high up, bring them underground if you want to be fancy. And since they have magic that messes with the senses, they should have cast that on the glasses dude as well. Heck, forget it, magic is not even need, cover their eyes and ears and bind their feet too with chains, limit their oxygen intake, sedate them, break their limbs, etc. Magic is dangerous and countermeasures can be developed on the fly, don't let captured elite mages calmly think.

Even in real life, with no powerful magicians going around wrecking shit, high profile criminals and terrorists are treated with much more caution. If they are willing to fight to death even, why not be much rougher with them? When Ubel fought, she was ready to kill, why are her enemies not doing the same? She has value only for interrogation and maybe ransom/exchange at this point.

If I was the emperor, I would restructure that entire organization to be actually effective. Not even random cops are that incompetent. It is unacceptable for elite forces to so unprofessional. This manga has characters like Denken who always calmly analyze the situation and think things thoroughly, is there really nobody in this old prestigious organization in charge of designing procedures and training their personnel? Even guerrilla forces do it, what the fuck?

I also think the author may be taking the Ubel perception thing a bit to far. I think that for her magic to work on materials that she expect it to work on despite any bullshit magical defense layered upon is fine, but shouldn't the restraining magic work? I assume it would have certain principles as for why the restrainment works, maybe it does something physical to the target body, rendering he or she unable to cast magic. By ignoring this, the author is basically ignoring what has been defined before and giving a free pass to any kind of asspull.

"Aha! You punched me, but I think of myself as being someone who can't be punched as my face is too sacred for that, therefore your punch didn't do shit!. All other types of offense don't work too due to my interpretation."

I'm complaining because the author usually does a good job with theses things, but here he slipped.
If you really want an answer the options are low

1- Since the empire is preparing for the big festival while at the same time sending their groups to the rest of the CMA already it's spreading itself too thin to focus on already captured prisoners. It has even been told the border patrol is not doing their usual job right now

2- One of these two officers is probably a spy so she might make things easier for Ubeland on purpose

If these options don't satisfy you we are not getting any more later

Double-page supporter
I don't think so. For example, I worked in the chemical industry where we deal with stuff that could blow up an entire city. When dealing with things dangerous as this, we assume that everything can go wrong, therefore we need several layers of security to be sure nobody ends up dead. First class mages and even more Ubel are dangerous enough to warrant way more caution, I can't possibly think otherwise. It is imperative that they are dealt with much more severity than that.

If you really want an answer the options are low

1- Since the empire is preparing for the big festival while at the same time sending their groups to the rest of the CMA already it's spreading itself too thin to focus on already captured prisoners. It has even been told the border patrol is not doing their usual job right now

2- One of these two officers is probably a spy so she might make things easier for Ubeland on purpose

If these options don't satisfy you we are not getting any more later
1- This doesn't explain this lax conduct, if personnel is so sparse, don't even bother, just kill or at least disable the prisioners. In actual wars, when making prisoners is out of hand, that is how they did it. No reason for professional forces to not act like that.

2- If one is a spy, the other is uncaracteristically uncompetent for not calling out the actions of their partner. I wrote in another comment one way to justify this outside the bounds of bad writing.

I wonder if the Empire plotting to assassinate Serie, her disciples, and other mages (through the Shadow Warriors) is the work of Grausam and the remaining demon army.

He read some of Frieren's memories, so it's not impossible that they decided to play the long game by manipulating the imperial royal family (if the Empire has one), instead of changing the Demon King's fate :thonk:

Users who are viewing this thread