Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 7 Ch. 64 - Sword Demon

Dex-chan lover
i feel like the mangaka is competing with himself at this point to see how useless he can possibly make the grimoires frieren gets :dogkek:

also, i feel like it's kinda weird that she says it "possesses an appeal only demons could understand". aren't the humans kinda doing the same thing in this situation?

Double-page supporter
i feel like the mangaka is competing with himself at this point to see how useless he can possibly make the grimoires frieren gets :dogkek:

also, i feel like it's kinda weird that she says it "possesses an appeal only demons could understand". aren't the humans kinda doing the same thing in this situation?
I think it probably makes a demon stronger, but as for human i mean if you find a cool stick what male wouldn't think of it as the HOLY SCARED SWORD

Dex-chan lover
So it's pretty established that demons are just bad, no good ones, no exceptions, they just all suck. Or rather, they are so different from other races as to make coexistence impossible, not that they seem interested in it. I actually like that the author went this way because it's not how it usually goes in manga. Usually there would be some kind of understanding or whatever possible, there is no true evil, power of love, etc

That said, I actually would like to see an exception. I'm sure it would go tragically wrong for everyone involved, though. Maybe a half-demon raised by humans. Or just an actual demon raised from infancy by someone with a lot of motherly instincts. And so while they still have no empathy for others, they do have a kind of moral compass in the form of "what would Mother do?". Such a demon should be possible to coexist with.

Idk if it would even be good for the story or anything, it would just be interesting.

Dex-chan lover
So it's pretty established that demons are just bad, no good ones, no exceptions, they just all suck. Or rather, they are so different from other races as to make coexistence impossible, not that they seem interested in it. I actually like that the author went this way because it's not how it usually goes in manga. Usually there would be some kind of understanding or whatever possible, there is no true evil, power of love, etc

That said, I actually would like to see an exception. I'm sure it would go tragically wrong for everyone involved, though. Maybe a half-demon raised by humans. Or just an actual demon raised from infancy by someone with a lot of motherly instincts. And so while they still have no empathy for others, they do have a kind of moral compass in the form of "what would Mother do?". Such a demon should be possible to coexist with.

Idk if it would even be good for the story or anything, it would just be interesting.
wondering if you got up to the later arc that actually has a demon that tackles that idea :)

Dex-chan lover
wondering if you got up to the later arc that actually has a demon that tackles that idea :)
Whoever is reading this, I'm putting this behind spoilers, but this is actually spoilers, don't read it.

Yes, I was right, it went tragically wrong. Until it was fixed. (Great arc). But that was also his plan from the beginning. My hypothetical demon would never have done that because his Mama wouldn't have liked it. Also maybe put your comment in spoilers.

Dex-chan lover
I reread the series frequently and this is one chapter that I tend to forget that exists. It’s not particularly moving. It tackles a theme we’ve covered before and is handled much better in the past. It doesn’t move the plot forward or build character. It’s not even funny (well, okay, maybe the snake thing is funny). Frieren is full of side quests and most are great. This one is filler. It will probably be massively better in the anime (whenever season 2 comes out) probably solely due to animation making the right good.

Users who are viewing this thread