Striving for the Luxury Liner - Vol. 3 Ch. 17 - Cooking Class and Fried Food Assortment

Dex-chan lover
Honestly I've read enough Isekai where I simply don't believe that previous reincarnators didn't already introduce cooking and ingredients from Japan

It's probably my least favorite aspect of Isekai outside of Idiot Harems: Depicting highly developed setting as being ass-backwards to the point of not knowing how to make bread and how fan-fucking-tastic Japanese writers try to make out Japanese cooking to be despite it being characteristically and historically bland as fuck and benefitted the most from foreign idea exchange.

Y'all were eating brown rice, millet and mountain yams and until 1860, you didn't have bread until the Portuguese introduced it in the 1600's and you didn't have it as a staple until after WWII due to food shortages. Sit the fuck down

I like Japanese cooking, but I know it well enough to know that the most popular japanese foods are just permutations of European, Indian or Chinese cooking.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Ah, the dumb axe brute who thinks he's wiser than the village chief.

I like Japanese cooking, but I know it well enough to know that the most popular japanese foods are just permutations of European, Indian or Chinese cooking.
For instance, mayonnaise is most likely a Spanish invention or permutation as it exists today, coming from the 1700's. That's still more modern than most isekais pretend to be, and would make sense to introduce. It's also not usually presented as Japanese.

But that's an exception. The vast majority of isekais are absolute garbage about "introducing" "Japanese" ideas.

Personally, the little Japanese food (which probably wasn't particularly authentic) I've tried (and I'm allergic to fish) was extremely sweet. Tasted like meat candy.

Users who are viewing this thread