Task Force for Paranormal Disaster Management - Vol. 2 Ch. 6 - Beginning of the Extermination Operation

Thanks for the translation!
Man why wasting time on meetings , many people died thanks of it also poor coast guard crew of the Eli they got a killed since they didn't share vitals info...

Dex-chan lover
Wow...the quality for this TL is top notch, a round of applauses at who is doing it.

The ending part of this chapter was girl going at 100% on dumb dumb, her thinking that it could be her grandma override every possibility in her of it being someone else, I'm fine with she forgetting the wind after so many hours closed in the cinema but running in the lifeboat and putting all 3 on a silver plate was super stupid, granny was literally in a safe place until the heroine came out.
This choice of story development can only be justified if in the next chapter we discover that the boat would have fell and without the girl to help they would have died.

Power Uploader
@VooXoo I think that since Konoe is young and trained, she has a small chance of doing the right thing to save the three of them. The problem isn't the monster, but the torpedo that will hit the side of the ship where the lifeboat they're in is. So she needs to be there, for example, to release the lifeboat in case the ship begins to sink, something that her grandma and the kid probably can't do on their own.

@RedScharlach It is. I loved BTOOOM! and Otogi Matsuri and was thrilled at the chance to translate a work by Jun'ya Inoue.

Dex-chan lover
"OMG, you're going to fire a torpedo at Japanese civilians?!"

"... no, you idiot, we're firing at the fething monster attached to the hull, were you not listening at all during this conversation?"

Also, gotta say, the Chinese kinda have the right idea, using a ballistic missile against the monster whilst it's sitting still. Too bad for the Japanese on board, but... eh...

Also, WTF dude, yelling at her for not "completing the evacuation," it's a fething lifeboat entwined with vore tentacles, draw some reasonable conclusions.

Dex-chan lover
@sylvacoer It's the JMSDF. They operate on a highly micromanaged basis with heavy bureaucratic and political oversight on every action they take. The go-ahead for the attack was predicated on the successful evacuation of civilians, so failure to complete it risks having the gov't change their mind and delay the operation. It's a big issue that may cause the entire plan to be scrapped. This manga also seems to take its cues from the Shin Godzilla movie. If you recall there's a scene in that movie where the helicopter attack on derpzilla was canceled when they saw two civilians in the target area. Anno actually asked the Japanese JSDF and MoD if that's realistic and got a resounding yes from them.

I kinda wonder how Inoue will display the torpedo attack. The Akizukis have 2x3 torpedo tubes, but they're basically the Japanese version of the US Mk. 32. These torpedo tubes are not compatible with wire guided torps at all. Plus they launch the smaller 324mm torps, not the standard 530mm.

The "052" ships are actually a weird combo of the front end of the 052C destroyer with the rear end of the 054A frigate. To be fair, the 054A frigate is the most commonly encountered ship in the waters of northern China, and the 052Cs were what made the news as China's first "Aegis-style" destroyers, but if I'm the PLAN and I want to go kaiju-hunting, I'd rather send out the Sovremennys. Those girls have big-ass guns (2x2x130mm) even after the refit that removed their Moskits. Plus they actually have full-size torpedo tubes.

Power Uploader
@sssr I'm not a military expert, and on checking your info it's right. But just one thing: despite the name, these are not Akizukis. They're Asahi-class. Our cleaner is a naval nut and also noted that the vessel names don't match the class back when we did the prologue. It's probably intentional on the part of the author.

I'll also note that the action takes place in 2022, and they're using a Type 18 torpedo, which as I noted in the previous chapter, has not been delivered to the JMSDF yet. It's a successor of the Type 89 torpedo, a 530 mm design that is launched from submarines. I guess we can suspend disbelief a little and imagine that these destroyers received adaptations to operate the new torpedo. But obviously Inoue didn't want to use a submarine in this setting for plot reasons (nobody would have survived the prologue had it been a submarine, I guess), so he had no choice but to put these torpedoes in a destroyer.

Dex-chan lover
One thing I really appreciate from this manga is that it's a thriller rather than a straight-up horror where gore and character deaths would probably occur more frequently. It keeps things incredibly tense and anxiety-inducing without getting too dark or miserable.

Fed-Kun's army
Thanks for the tl guys and love the side notes, very fascinating ! Keep them coming

Dex-chan lover
@sssr - That's really sad because it sounds exactly like reality. Welp, always takes a lot of blood and screaming for humans to change their frame of reference...

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for the chapter and the continued translations its really appreciated especially during a stressful year like this one.
Wait to go to Konoe sticking to her guns and she deserved to be able to see the support she was getting from the people she saved.... though on a low key if she and the pianist don't at least go have dinner after all of this that will be another bit of unintended collateral damage caused by this monster's rampage.
So wait I'm a little fuzzy on this detail has it been confirmed that all of the monsters/kaiju in this series look the same?

Fed-Kun's army
And I caught up. Thanks for translating this, really enjoying it. Those side notes are really good too!

Fed-Kun's army
Man, this series have its own wholesome moments.
Have I said that I like this series so far?
I like it.

:nyoron:

Users who are viewing this thread