Tensei Saki ga Zannen Ouji Datta Ken: Ima wa Fukkin 1-kai mo Dekinai kedo Yasete Isekai Sukuimasu - Ch. 17.3

Dex-chan lover
I know it's not the TL's fault, but I absolutely hate it when chapters cut out mid sentence.

Dex-chan lover
It's weird when you have to explain this to legendary creatures because they might actually have the eyesight to see it without tools.

Dex-chan lover
Has he told the girls he's 'on a mission from god'? Because how can he explain his extraordinary knowledge and the fact he HAS PHOTOGRAPHS of diseases somehow? :pout:

Aggregator gang
I thought it was only with his one servant who was given an Oracle? It's been a while since I read the translated part of the novel, though. But I thought he asked the Goddess to tell her that he's to be trusted and on a special mission. Nobody else knew though, at least at the time.

Aggregator gang
"How are you going to submit your breakthrough research in epidemiology?"
"GRAYONS"
To be fair, it's not research, it's an instruction booklet based on otherworldy knowledge. Anyone with any amount of skepticism would rightfully ask "where did you get this information from?" and he couldn't anwser that. Someone like that might indulge him and follow the instructions just due to to authority, or he might not and only pretend to comply. Also, since this is a fantasy world, there's a real risk that his knowledge is just plain wrong. Microrganisms might work differently or even not exist at all.

Dex-chan lover
So from Assassination Attempt, to politics, to harem, to Avalon Beauty Products, and now Plague Inc.

I mean yeah sure.

Dex-chan lover
Also, since this is a fantasy world, there's a real risk that his knowledge is just plain wrong. Microrganisms might work differently or even not exist at all.

There could be diseases of a magical nature, possibly, but otherwise he already knows certain diseases are exactly the same. The only difference is that he can treat them with magic. But it still involves getting rid of the pathogen. If he had no experience whatsoever of diseases in that world, then it might end up as deeply flawed information.

Other than that, he's already a man of fame, known for having cured patients carrying a disease previously considered lethal. If he met someone who refused to believe him, he would just need to ignore the person and meet the next one. The very king of the country is already on his side, as well as the king's brother. As well as a growing number of ladies in love with his beauty products. Certainly there should be people wanting to know the source of his knowledge (though he's the legendary sage's student, so some might just make assumptions), but few that matter would anymore really doubt him or refuse to follow his instructions.

Aggregator gang
There could be diseases of a magical nature, possibly, but otherwise he already knows certain diseases are exactly the same. The only difference is that he can treat them with magic. But it still involves getting rid of the pathogen. If he had no experience whatsoever of diseases in that world, then it might end up as deeply flawed information.

Other than that, he's already a man of fame, known for having cured patients carrying a disease previously considered lethal. If he met someone who refused to believe him, he would just need to ignore the person and meet the next one. The very king of the country is already on his side, as well as the king's brother. As well as a growing number of ladies in love with his beauty products. Certainly there should be people wanting to know the source of his knowledge (though he's the legendary sage's student, so some might just make assumptions), but few that matter would anymore really doubt him or refuse to follow his instructions.
I've re-read some of the chapters and while it's not directly stated, I think the implication is that the "Navi" power provides him with factual information about most things, including diseases. I previously thought that the pictures of viruses and bacteria he showed Iris were his drawings but it seems they are in fact also done by the skill, so it's likely that the image is an actual microscopic view. If this holds then I guess there's no risk that he can ever be wrong. About anything. I find that a highly disappointing narrative decision. Everything he is, knows and can do is due to divine-granted powers...

People who openly question him and refuse to cooperate are not the problem. They can indeed either be ignored or even bullied into conformity by others. It's the "quiet" ones who see him as an arrogant git and only pretend to work with him that he should worry about. People who think he's either making stuff up or leeching off his famous mentor, who will take every opportunity to cut corners or outright ignore his instructions, either out of spite or just a lack of confidence that what he's making them do matters.

Dex-chan lover
If this holds then I guess there's no risk that he can ever be wrong. About anything. I find that a highly disappointing narrative decision. Everything he is, knows and can do is due to divine-granted powers...

That problem appeared quite early one. The author basically keeps adding solutions of convenience to the story, to avoid any need for even a bit more complicated (that is, decent) writing. One of the most outrageous things, if you ask me, are the video calls everybody can use to contact anyone. It's like they all have smartphones with a 5G connection. I've never seen such a thing in isekai, for a good reason. Sometimes "players" in isekai are able to use a leftover UI from the game the isekai is nominally based on to contact those on their friend list, but that's typically it.

People who openly question him and refuse to cooperate are not the problem. They can indeed either be ignored or even bullied into conformity by others. It's the "quiet" ones who see him as an arrogant git and only pretend to work with him that he should worry about. People who think he's either making stuff up or leeching off his famous mentor, who will take every opportunity to cut corners or outright ignore his instructions, either out of spite or just a lack of confidence that what he's making them do matters.

Luckily his task is not to develop the medicine of that world. It's to defeat the evil god. It's possible the evil god would try to use plagues to its advantage, so it's not necessarily 100% unrelated, but at such a point only an agent of the evil god would try to hamper the efforts of the humanity, and it thus wouldn't be anything personal targeting the MC. Otherwise what you say makes sense, but it's also something Luke would know beforehand. In the end pretty much all of our antibiotics are useless against some pathogens because people wilfully kept misusing them (including medical professionals). He would also know some countries do have plenty of braindead anti-vaxxers (I don't know about Japan, hopefully not, but it wouldn't surprise me if it had its own share of them). So, the MC would logically expect it to be a rocky road.

Aggregator gang
That problem appeared quite early one. The author basically keeps adding solutions of convenience to the story, to avoid any need for even a bit more complicated (that is, decent) writing. One of the most outrageous things, if you ask me, are the video calls everybody can use to contact anyone. It's like they all have smartphones with a 5G connection. I've never seen such a thing in isekai, for a good reason. Sometimes "players" in isekai are able to use a leftover UI from the game the isekai is nominally based on to contact those on their friend list, but that's typically it.

Luckily his task is not to develop the medicine of that world. It's to defeat the evil god. It's possible the evil god would try to use plagues to its advantage, so it's not necessarily 100% unrelated, but at such a point only an agent of the evil god would try to hamper the efforts of the humanity, and it thus wouldn't be anything personal targeting the MC. Otherwise what you say makes sense, but it's also something Luke would know beforehand. In the end pretty much all of our antibiotics are useless against some pathogens because people wilfully kept misusing them (including medical professionals). He would also know some countries do have plenty of braindead anti-vaxxers (I don't know about Japan, hopefully not, but it wouldn't surprise me if it had its own share of them). So, the MC would logically expect it to be a rocky road.
Yeah, the the video calls are an absurd thing to have even in high fantasy, but even more comical is the fact that this ability didn't seem to have any real impact on the world's society, which still operates as a medieval one. Instantenous, long range communication, the exact sort of thing that revolutionized Earth's civilization has little to no relevance in this story, other than being used for casual calls. This demands more and more suspension of disbelief.

The whole thing about "defeating the evil god" seems like a sidenote. There's been absolutely nothing said about what that actually entails, other than the fact that he (?) is in some dungeon. In the first place, why didn't the goddess explain to him in detail what kind of creature he's supposed to deal with and how to go about it? It's kind of a big deal, more so if some special conditions need to be met. Even if that's not the case and the god is a being that can just be killed, then it would make sense to prioritize whatever offensive ability best suited for the job and get on with it as soon as possible since being on the defensive against something that can just send down calamities is glorified damage control and ultimately doomed to fail. It's like the author never even considered what his story is supposed to sum up to and is just making it up as he goes...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread