That Man's Room - Ch. 135.5 - Week Hiatus Notice

Dex-chan lover
AAAAAAAAAAAAA its on break :(
but thanks for the hardwork, hope the artist health got better
love that landlady art

Best of luck to the creators in getting back into writin' shape!

That said, I just spent 3 days or so reading all the previous chapters and I have some thoughts. (This turned out to be pretty long, so I'll hide it behind a spoiler!)

First off, Haemi is best girl. She and Kang have such great chemistry, and I hope she's the OTS in this story. Her chapters were pretty frustrating to read early on, but it was a realistic kind of frustration. That familiar feeling of having a friend who you know is making bad choices, but you can't convince them until they finally see it for themselves. It was pretty damn satisfying when she finally hit her limit for bullshit and kicked that gross stalker to the curb. :3

If there's a second best girl, it would have to be either the Landlady or Shim.

The Landlady was a kind of dubious character before we got to her reason for living apart from her family, but at this point I just kinda feel sympathetic. She lost her family because her evil stepmother thinks she has a demon vagina, and now she's stuck in a completely empty marriage and can't even get a divorce because she's afraid of losing her kids entirely. Even at her worst moments, she still clearly cares about Kang; maybe not in a romantic way, but she does. Even if she might be a bit selfish in her thoughts, she's always outwardly supportive and encouraging. Not an angel, but certainly not a bad person.

Shim is kind of the opposite. She pretends that she doesn't care at all, but the fact that she's going out with whats-his-name now proves that she gives a shit. Even though she's gotten less screen time than the Landlady, I like her chemistry with Kang and it makes me sad that she seems to be on her way out of the story. And its even worse since it seems like Kang is always going to take her decision to date whats-his-name as evidence that there's something wrong with him. He'll probably never have a chance to learn that she's doing it to protect him and Shinae.

The other one, Chae, hasn't gotten as much development as I'd hoped. Early on I kind of predicted that she was a closeted lesbian who used dirty jokes as a cover, and hid her crush on Shim by trash talking her behind her back. Pretty obvious that's not going to happen now, but it would have been nice if she'd gotten some more panel-time. Maybe just hanging with Kang, giving him a friendship that wasn't overshadowed by lust.

I don't think I stand alone when I say that Shinae can pretty much disappear from the story at this point, and no-one will mind. She was a bit intriguing in the beginning, back when all we knew was that she was a bit more devious than she let on, but this whole "was really using the college to prepare for a movie role" revelation feels... uncharacteristically silly for this manga. She couldn't just be a girl who played innocent but was secretly eager to jump into the vast ocean of sex? I can't believe we're losing Chae but still need to watch this awkwardly over-dramatic plot play out. ~_~

Hell, I'd rather get a whole arc devoted to that voyeur that lives next to the Landlady. She was cute and fun and not Shinae!

As far as the creepy stalker dude and his wife go, I feel like that arc is ready for resolution. He's been an unwelcome stain on the story since the beginning, and the sooner he disappears the sooner we can see his ex-wife movie in with the Landlady and have a cozy lesbian romance. :3

Overall, I've really enjoyed the generally positive tone that this story takes towards friends-with-benefits. Its a welcome change from a lot of manga (both japanese and korean) and I really hope that there isn't some sudden change in tone where its revealed that Kang's increasingly casual attitude towards sex has destroyed his chance at happiness. There are still tones of casual misogyny scattered throughout, but much less than I've found in similar stories. The worst thing about it is probably the same thing that marks every smutty korean manga I've ever read; the world feels like its "The real world, but if PUAs were right". But that's been... less noticeable in this one, at least! Progress!

This turned into a bit of a rant. Sorry! I've been reading it on my tablet and its hard to make comments with that, so I've been holding in all of my thoughts until now. ^_^;

Users who are viewing this thread